Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hijackers  (Read 7721 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 06:41:45 AM »

Interesting . .  Being a computer guy for a living, I love these discussions. I have been using personal computers since 1985-ish . . Only had a virus in all that time. The very best anti-virus protection is the space between your ears! You can avoid almost all viruses and malware by practicing smart web browsing and email habits. For example, don't ever click on a link emailed to you unless you absolutely trust the person that sent it to you . . ie: personal friend maybe sending you a flickr link . . . Otherwise, open a browser window and enter the web site URL manually and spell it right.

For anti-virus I recommend and use Miscrosoft Security Essentials. It works, it's quiet and the price is right.

By using a good AV and good practices, you can pretty much avoid any problems.

Nuke and reload is not always a bad thing. I do it to my work latop about twice a year to keep things running nicely. Windows . . yuck . . I can reload my laptop and be working again in 90 minutes.

A good backup strategy is needed to do this though and most people I know don't bother to back up their home computers. You should be able to lose your entire computer and NOT lose any data.

W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »

I use the AVG pay version. Last time I got a malicious download from a previously trusted hobby website, with no warning and no action taken to allow it in,  everything was seemingly disabled.  The fix was to restart the computer in safe mode and go to the software install/uninstall on the control panel.  Then I went down the list of programs to my AV software, and used the "repair" option to re enable AV.  Then ran a complete (long time!) scan of the whole computer in safe mode, with the re enabled AV.  This time it found and removed what had snuck past it in normal operation and cleared the problems. 
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: