Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping Queston about battery in radio.  (Read 972 times)
HIFIMAN

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »

I sold and shipped an Icom IC-R20 handheld receiver. Well after shipping it he said after reaching Ca. he has the item forwarded to Russia where he lives. He has excellent feedback so that doesnt concern me. What does is I left the rechargeable battery in the radio thinking it was going to Ca. He said it usually takes 2-3 weeks to receive it in Russia. Should I be concerned about the battery leaking? Thanks
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »

Not now....

Anyway, it takes a lot longer than a few weeks for a battery to "leak," even if it is a brand that is prone to leakage. Most of today's NiCds and NiMH cells hold up fairly well. I wouldn't be concerned at all. But the next time you ship a radio with battery, it would probably be wise to at least unplug the battery first and insulate its contacts. GL
HIFIMAN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:16:41 PM »

Thanks a bunch. After talking to the buyer he said not to worry like you said and your advice on "next time" is great and will do. Thanks again.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:23:34 PM »

It's always a good idea to at least isolate the battery contacts so the radio doesn't have any power just in case it somehow gets switched on.  Not saying that it would hurt the radio--unless a security sweep actually heard sounds coming from the package!!
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:36:47 AM »

Of course, if the battery was Lithium Ion chemistry, it could just melt down and catch everything around it on fire. 

Better living through chemistry!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: