The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A few Drake TR-4C questions.  (Read 5674 times)
KC2VDM

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »

Hey guys, I just got an old TR-4C from a friend. No manual, mic, or speaker. So far I've got a speaker rigged up to it, and it does seems to work well on the lower bands (haven't tried higher than 20 yet). I don't want to risk the finals by trying to tune it without reading the manual first. I couldn't find one on the BAMA website. Anyway here's my questions:

1. Does anyone have a copy of the manual they could email to me? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. The noise blanker seems to have no effect on signals. Is this common? Or worth even fixing?

3. Why is the 20m scale opposite of the regular dial scale? Just a curiosity.

Thanks
-Alex
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »

I also had that problem when looking for the manual....couldn't find it.
http://www.boatanchors.org/TR4.htm
That will help though.

I don't use the noise blanker so I don't know

I tune mine with a watt meter.  There is a process outlined in the manual.  However....I just turn the knobs until I get the output that I want.  Easy and fast.
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:57:45 PM »

Drake manuals (and much info) are available at http://www.wb4hfn.com/DRAKE/DrakeManuals.htm

The noise blanker works on pulse noises, like ignition or spark noises.

Because a 9 MHz IF and a 5 MHz VFO is used, 20 meters is generated 'free' but tunes backwards as a consequence (9+5=14 without having to use the local oscillator). Taken from http://www.zerobeat.net/drakelist/drakemod/drmod90.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:11:36 PM by WW3QB » Logged
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »

Aaahhh.....Learning to dip the plate.  Good Man
73 es gud luck
wn2c
KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:09:25 PM »

Thanks for the help guys! I'll probably buy another wattmeter like KD5TXX said. I already have a tuner, but its downstairs and part of the basement shack.

Also, I rarely used the NB on my other rig too, mostly because I  never fully understood what it did. Grin

And yes WN2C, I've taken a liking to these old boatanchors. I've always wanted a Drake though, so when I got offered an old one from a friend, I answered with a big YES! hihi

Hopefully if there's no TX issues it'll be on air!
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 09:47:48 PM »

I'm guessing the noise blanker doesn't work because you don't have a noise blanker installed!  It's actually pretty rare to find a TR4C with the noise blanker- it was an optional accessory even when the units were new.  I own a TR4Cw and it didn't come with the blanker either.  Consequently the switch is just a knob to nowhere'sville.  If you open up the top cover, you'll see a socket on the middle left-hand side in front of the finals cage where the unit plugs into.

Occasionally one of these noise blankers (Drake 34-PNB) will appear on Ebay and usually goes for something like $300 or more.  If you search the Eham forum archives, I think you'll find the general consensus is the noise blanker doesn't really do much to improve the rig's performance to justify the cost.

The tuning works in reverse because Drake did some cost-cutting in the design (actually it was quite ingenious), so for 20 meters the PTO has to be tuned in reverse.  Something with flipping the crystal frequencies or whatever(?)  My tech skills are lacking, so just Google the question.  This, and sources for copies of the manual, are readily available online.

Good luck, and welcome to the happy family of Drake ops.  I love love love my Drake.

Bill in Pasadena, NK6Q
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »

My TR-4c is my only hf rig.  I absolutely love it.  I have the noise blanker and agree that although very desirable, probably not worth today's eBay prices.   However, it is a REAL noise blanker that totally nulls certain sources such as ignition and static crashes.  Enjoy your Drake.   In my opinion the receiver is excellent and the 180+ watts out don't hurt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: