Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you look for in a FCC exam preparation program ?  (Read 2416 times)
LASSAR

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:58:23 PM »

What do you look for in a FCC exam preparation program ?

KD8HYN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:36:21 PM »

I actually just took online practice exams, googling that which made no sense to me, until I passed fairly regularly to get my tech license.

For general I read about half of the ARRL general class license manual, but then bought an iPhone app that gave me access to read the question pool on the go and practice tests as well. I failed general the first time but was allowed to re take it and passed.

W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:39:58 AM »

For the written material, I REALLY want a book that follows the questions and has the material related specifically to the questions; giving tips for remembering is very helpful.  This rules out the ARRL books entirely.

For the software I REALLY need a program that will let me continue where I left off and flag the questions when I know I need to review them.  This eliminates the West package for that purpose.

For the Extra exam with 750+ questions to memorize, I have to buy 2 different packages to get one that works.  What a waste of money.

Sam
W9KDX
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 10:10:43 AM »

Read and understand the ARRL Handbook.  That's enough to pass all the ham radio exams.
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »

The formula I've always seen work is read Gordo's book and take the practice exam twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. Make sure the exam tells you what questions you missed. If those are ones you've alread studied, then read that chapter again. Once you've read the whole book, continue to test twice a day, rereading the chapters with the questions you missed. Once you pass with 90%, go take the real test.

One thing to add, keep track of your test scores each time you take it. That way you can tell if you are making progress or not. For a person with average intelligence, they can pass any one of the tests this way in 6 weeks or less.

When you get passed, then go read the ARRL book. Learning theory is always more fun when you do it because you want to, not because you have to.

Bernie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: