Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: vx5r help needed  (Read 1556 times)
W2RSA

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2012, 10:07:16 AM »

After a search here on eham I found out the reason its not turning on is probally the keypad, having two of these ht's I swapped out the keypad from the one that works and BAMM it works again !! Heres my problem, I called yaesu and the NICE man in the parts dept informed me parts for this radio has been discontinued (why??). Can anyone recommend a parts vendor for this ht?

tnx Scott
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:42:54 PM »

If yaesu no longer can supply the parts I doubt anyone else is going to have it unless they just happen to have a NOS pad. And the only way your going to find that is to start calling places that service the radio. Since the VX-5r has been superseded by the VX-6, VX-7 and VX-8 I can see why Yaesu would not longer have parts. Its an older radio dude. Its not a ford or Chevy, no one is making after market parts!  LOL

Dan
W2RSA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:51:52 PM »

Thanks Dan, I do realize its old just a little venting hi hi, what I'm hoping is maybe someone knows a parts or repair guy to point me to. I made a couple calls after putting this post up and to no surprise some of the bigger radio shops said they didnt have it and wished me luck in my search, one even said to try ebay .......... Oh well hamfest season is about to kick off so maybe i'll get lucky then.
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 07:35:52 AM »

I had the same problem with mine not turning on. If the button was pressed firmly with, lets say, the point of a pen, then it would power on. I sprayed the keypad with Radio Shack contact cleaner, pressed all the buttons repeatedly, then hit it with 20 psi of air pressure. That was about 3 months ago and it is still working. You may be able to salvage the original.
W2RSA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 11:31:23 AM »

I was doing the same thing with a pencil before it stopped working,tried cleaning the contacts from the board and the pad and no luck, I did notice the keypad from the older ht didnt have the soft contact pads on the back of them that the newer on I have does, not sure if that was incorperated into both keypads or not because the hts were puchased about two years apart and we all know changes are made from model year to model year.
I'm going to try and keep this post active just in case someone might have one or know of a place to get one, a couple guys from the local club are heading to Dayton and will be on the look out for me as well so maybe i'll get lucky who know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: