Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton Hamvention 2012  (Read 19559 times)
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 08:25:50 PM »

"The past two times at Dayton, I was done by 3 PM on Friday and was a bit surprised by that.  "

1PM, when you go through the flea market, as I have done over the past 35 years, junk is junk with some intersting tid bits in between.  Really, there should be people charging carbon taxes at the gate for continually wasting gas to bring the same junk that has been there since I started going... Smiley

Inside, other that the free hats I really have not seen anything discounted that I had to have that I could not get over the internet/phone where you could potentially get free shipping and evade the ever menecing tax man.  But it is intersting to check out new ideas and products.

Carl - W9PMZ
73BRAHMA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 06:25:17 PM »

I will be 50 this year, and I started going to Dayton with my dad when I was 8.  I probably have missed maybe 20 of them in my life since- if that.  Here is a proven strategy;

1. If you aren't selling outside, forget Fridays.  Most outside sellers aren't fully setup by Friday.  Inside exhibtors are, but aren't staffed fully, or are still getting their ducks in a row. NO ONE is NEAR ready to deal.
2. Saturday is when it happens!  Get there EARLY, preferably early enough to have breakfast in the Dayton area to unwind from your road trip, but get to Hara with enough time to park and be at the gate WHEN IT OPENS.  The crowds will be low, the traffic wil be low, and most ouside folks are ready to roll, and inside too.  But still, NO ONE will be ready to deal.
3. Start outside, and power walk the middle of the rows making notes of items of interest.  It's early, people aren't dealing, and you can formulate your plan for the interesting stuff.
4.  After that, head inside.  It's hard to power-walk inside, but later it will be MUCH worse.  Go to the smaller vndors first, then the big MFR's in the middle.
5. Time to go back outside, starting with the highest priorty items you saw.  Deal as necessary, but be willing to walk away.
6.  After that, it might be time to go to get a brat outside and /or a beer.  Historically, I think the "best" food has been outside, and less of a crowd.  MUCH less.  Better air too.
7. Hit the lowest priorty items you saw, worknig toward the highest priority, to give them time to get dejected about taking the stuff back home to the nagging wife and the over-flowing garage.
8. Repeat 5 through 7 above as necessary.

Notes:

1. Pray for good weather.  Rain dampens everything.  One of the funniest things I EVER saw at Dayton is someone had the bright idea to "leaflet" the outside areas by a Cessna.  The problem was they did it in the rain.  The "leaflets" stuck together on the way down in telephone book-sized clumps of leaflets and went crashing throgh tents, thumped cars and broke antenna masts with everyone running and screaming.  Also, there is no place to sit or hide outside in the rain, which makes the inside VERY crowded, almost to the point the air is fouled.
2.  Don't waste your time returning time and time again to outside sellers that choose to set up stuff to sell, then cover it and never return.  These people are idiots, and there are always more than a few.
3. Bring at least a small backpack or shoulder satchel to carry stuff.  Keep a small foldup handtruck in your car in case you find something really heavy that you can't pass up.  Don't be a hero and carry something all day- take it out to your car and return.
4.  Don't forget cash, and bring small bills only- It's easy to deal that way and hard for the seller to round up.
5. Don't mind th crowds- that's what makes Dayton an event- the above tis make it more manageable.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 06:31:05 PM by 73BRAHMA » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 02:17:37 PM »

1. If you aren't selling outside, forget Fridays.  Most outside sellers aren't fully setup by Friday.  Inside exhibtors are, but aren't staffed fully, or are still getting their ducks in a row. NO ONE is NEAR ready to deal.

I totally disagree. Friday is the best day for Flea Market. Everyone is setup and a lot pack up and leave before end of day Saturday. You snooze you will loose here.  I have found my best deals there Friday and sometimes Sunday with vendors that do all three days.

2. Saturday is when it happens!  Get there EARLY, preferably early enough to have breakfast in the Dayton area to unwind from your road trip, but get to Hara with enough time to park and be at the gate WHEN IT OPENS.  The crowds will be low, the traffic wil be low, and most ouside folks are ready to roll, and inside too.  But still, NO ONE will be ready to deal.

No need to be there at open bell. It is easier to get in and get a bus if you get there about a 1/2 to 1 hr AFTER they open. On deals, do not bet on it. In flea market some vendors just want to dumb stuff ASAP and go home.

3. Start outside, and power walk the middle of the rows making notes of items of interest.  It's early, people aren't dealing, and you can formulate your plan for the interesting stuff.

Again a disagree. When you run flea market first do not race through. You can miss a lot. (I got a TS-140 once on a Friday for 150 bucks at a small out of the way place in lot.) I do it row by row and take time to look it all over. When I find something of merit I mark location on GPS and I am able to return accurately if I want to buy it later.   

4.  After that, head inside.  It's hard to power-walk inside, but later it will be MUCH worse.  Go to the smaller vndors first, then the big MFR's in the middle.

Inside is no where as good as it used to be and traffic is not bad unless it is raining.

5. Time to go back outside, starting with the highest priorty items you saw.  Deal as necessary, but be willing to walk away.

I would finish outside side and take as long as needed before worrying about inside first day. You snooze on a deal in flea market you can loose.

6.  After that, it might be time to go to get a brat outside and /or a beer.  Historically, I think the "best" food has been outside, and less of a crowd.  MUCH less.  Better air too.

I always pack in a few cold drinks and snacks/food.

7. Hit the lowest priorty items you saw, worknig toward the highest priority, to give them time to get dejected about taking the stuff back home to the nagging wife and the over-flowing garage.

Basically the stuff that lingers in Flea Market is Junk or is over priced.

1. Pray for good weather.  

Weather is not a big problem since they moved it from April to May. Seen some wicked weather there in April.

3. Bring at least a small backpack or shoulder satchel to carry stuff.  Keep a small foldup handtruck in your car in case you find something really heavy that you can't pass up.  Don't be a hero and carry something all day- take it out to your car and return

I have a backpack strapped to a small rubber tired dolly that has a umbrella stored on it too. I bring duck tape and bungee straps to secure thing to cart when needed.

4.  Don't forget cash, and bring small bills only- It's easy to deal that way and hard for the seller to round up.

Bring large and small. Most vendor like big bills for big ticket items (easier to count their cash) and two single hundred dollar bills can be more persuasive than 10 20's at time. The big bill intimidation factor.

5. Don't mind th crowds- that's what makes Dayton an event- the above tis make it more manageable.

Big crowds are not really much of a problem these days. Attendance has been falling for years.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KC9AXZ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »

As a outdoor seller I always suggest taking time to look around. You will find some good steals outside. The indoor vendors usually have a large inventory, that will still have the item you need on Sunday. The outdoor vendors are a mix of junk and brand new items. You will find what you need among the outdoor vendors. The indoor vendors also have a few great deals to be found also. Some of the big retail stores will be running deals on the latest and greatest equipment.

You will need good shoes to attend! If you don't have good shoes you will find out quickly. You should have a backpack to carry your finds. In that backpack I also suggest sunscreen and a rain coat as well has a half roll of TP. The porta pits are usually well taken care of but you don't want a suprise either. You should also consider carrying around a few bottles of drinking water. The food lines can get long and you may spend a bit of money there.

Take the bus! Buying the bus ticket and parking away from the fest is the greatest deal. The ticket is cheap for the weekend. The parking at the bus stop is free. The buses run constantly to and from the fest. If you have a large item you can always come and pick it up in person.

Watch for the outside fest gatherings! Meet up with like minded hams for fun, food, and discussion in other places around town. Many groups of people will meet up after the fest closes for discussion and fun at hotels and resturaunts around town.

73BRAHMA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 07:48:46 PM »

I would agree to disagree.

I totally disagree. Friday is the best day for Flea Market. Everyone is setup and a lot pack up and leave before end of day Saturday. You snooze you will loose here.  I have found my best deals there Friday and sometimes Sunday with vendors that do all three days.

No need to be there at open bell. It is easier to get in and get a bus if you get there about a 1/2 to 1 hr AFTER they open. On deals, do not bet on it. In flea market some vendors just want to dumb stuff ASAP and go home.

Again a disagree. When you run flea market first do not race through. You can miss a lot. (I got a TS-140 once on a Friday for 150 bucks at a small out of the way place in lot.) I do it row by row and take time to look it all over. When I find something of merit I mark location on GPS and I am able to return accurately if I want to buy it later.   

Inside is no where as good as it used to be and traffic is not bad unless it is raining.

I would finish outside side and take as long as needed before worrying about inside first day. You snooze on a deal in flea market you can loose.

I always pack in a few cold drinks and snacks/food.

Basically the stuff that lingers in Flea Market is Junk or is over priced.

1. Pray for good weather.  

Weather is not a big problem since they moved it from April to May. Seen some wicked weather there in April.

3. Bring at least a small backpack or shoulder satchel to carry stuff.  Keep a small foldup handtruck in your car in case you find something really heavy that you can't pass up.  Don't be a hero and carry something all day- take it out to your car and return

I have a backpack strapped to a small rubber tired dolly that has a umbrella stored on it too. I bring duck tape and bungee straps to secure thing to cart when needed.

Bring large and small. Most vendor like big bills for big ticket items (easier to count their cash) and two single hundred dollar bills can be more persuasive than 10 20's at time. The big bill intimidation factor.

Big crowds are not really much of a problem these days. Attendance has been falling for years.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 04:52:55 AM »

I totally disagree. Friday is the best day for Flea Market. Everyone is setup and a lot pack up and leave before end of day Saturday. You snooze you will loose here.  I have found my best deals there Friday and sometimes Sunday with vendors that do all three days.

I agree.  Friday is thee day for flea market finds.  Perhaps not the best deals, but you need to snap it up before it's gone.  As a seller, I can also make some early rounds after setting up, but before the gates open.

Years ago, Hamvention use to be a nearly full three day event.  Many fleamarket vendors returned for Sunday.  Now, Sunday's are a ghost town outside with a few diehards, and big items remaining.  Like I mentioned earlier,  200' spools of 7/8" Heliax, ancient 19" racks, things that you can't easily load into your backpack are what you'll see a lot of on Sunday.  In fact, I think vendors have come to realize that it's hard to sell sections of tower, big partially assembled antennas, and spool ends of transmission line to the masses only because the buyer has no way to haul it away.  Most of the action on the last day is inside purchasing of last minute items.  Personally, I've never stayed beyond 11AM with 600 miles of driving ahead of us.  If we do Sunday, it's usually a rush thru for a couple of hours, and then hit the road.

My hope for 2012 is good weather, and no "S"-storms flooding the parking lot.  We're uphill anyway, and that's a good place to be when the manhole cover blows.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:58:21 AM by K3GM » Logged
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 12:31:11 PM »

If the WX forecast is for probable, long-duration rain, then I'll simply not go. Why spend all that time and $$, etc. to have to stay inside and have the flea market be a washout?

As others have mentioned, and as I have found out from experience, the following items would be good to bring with you:
- A backpack to free up your hands  from having to carry around what you've purchased.
- Sun screen! A "boonie" hat will help too if it's sunny.
- A rain poncho or small umbrella.
- A drink and snacks packed in your backpack.
- Money.
- Antacid tablets.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 03:09:26 PM »

If the WX forecast is for probable, long-duration rain, then I'll simply not go. Why spend all that time and $$, etc. to have to stay inside and have the flea market be a washout?

As others have mentioned, and as I have found out from experience, the following items would be good to bring with you:
- A backpack to free up your hands  from having to carry around what you've purchased.
- Sun screen! A "boonie" hat will help too if it's sunny.
- A rain poncho or small umbrella.
- A drink and snacks packed in your backpack.
- Money.
- Antacid tablets.

Well if you plan to spend a lot of time in flea market, you want some sun screen lotion too.

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 10:48:41 AM »

Hi, does anyone have any idea what Kenwood's 'new radio' will be like???

ron
N4UE
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 09:18:01 AM »

Not a 'secret' any longer. The TS-990S is on the back cover of the June QST. If it performs as nice as it looks, Kwood will have a winner.....

ron
N4UE
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 04:22:16 AM »

Forecast is possible T storms Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 07:20:56 AM »

Accuweather does not show any TSTMS for Friday or Saturday.  Either way, it's going to be very warm; low 80's.  Pack shorts!  See you there!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 07:31:04 AM »

An umbrella might be a wise precaution.....
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 05:12:14 PM »

Only thing you are going to need is some sun screen.

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 05:44:42 PM »

An umbrella might be a wise precaution.....
You can leave that home this year.

Only thing you are going to need is some sun screen.
Yup!
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: