Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running two antennas off of one dual band HT  (Read 2392 times)
KB8WPD

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2012, 02:31:01 PM »

Hey guys, I picked up a Wouxun 2m/1.25m ht a few days ago and I love it so far.  I can hit several repeaters on both bands from inside my house but I want to see if I can hit a few more that are a little farther away.  I am planning to get a pair of N9TAX Slim Jim antennas, one for 2m and one for 220.  I can hang them up inside the house when I need them, and take them when I go on camping and hunting trips.  My question is, how well do antenna switches work with HTs?  I was thinking of something inexpensive like a MFJ1702. 
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 03:12:26 PM »

A coax switch works fine with an HT, why wouldn't it?

I'd be surprised if the "slim jim" antenna dramatically outperform the helical whip mounted on the HT, though, if the antennas will be indoors.

While using the hand held, you might try just walking outside to see what difference that makes.

It can be astonishing, which is why antennas work better outside. Smiley
KB8WPD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 05:08:43 PM »

Right now I only use the ht outside.  I plan to throw the j-pole up in my tree when I want to use it.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »

I have had pretty good luck with the MFJ TWO way strip line coax switch, And TERRIBLE luck with the MFJ 4 way switch............
(A really good quality VHF switch is made by Alpha-Delta)
But costs lots more.......
At VHF and UHF, It is important to get the antenna as high as possible, Outdoors is much better than indoors, Be mindful of coax feedline loss.  You can use skinny coax like RG8X up to 25-30 feet no problem, But if you have to run much further than that, You will need to go with low loss coax like TIMES LMR 400.   I suggest a short jumper of something like RG 174 super flexible coax to actually connect to the hand held.

(I like the Wouxon, But it is a real bear to program for me without the computer program interface!)
Do consider a higher gain type antenna.......

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 05:39:05 AM »

I have not had good luck with J pole antennas inside buildings. They seem to pick up a lot of RFI noise from everything electrical and the SWR is high because of all the metal surrounding the antenna!  Shocked
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 10:40:17 AM »

An antenna switch works fine AS LONG AS IT IS RATED FOR THE OPERATING FREQUENCY.
I have one in my car so I can compare two VHF/UHF antennas as I drive down the road.

The MFJ-1702 or MFJ-2702 should be fine for your purpose.
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:08 PM »

I use a yaesu ad-3 duplexer with my dual band ht (2m/440). Comet makes one for 2m/220 for around $55. Don't have to switch back and forth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: