Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which new QRZ?  (Read 2166 times)
PD1JP

Ignore
« on: February 15, 2012, 04:07:04 AM »

I am currently a novice (N-class) amateur, which means my callsign has a PD prefix. I am soon doing exam for the Full (F-class) and expect to pass that. Now F-class offers more bands and more power, and the fun of having to choose a new callsign.

Here in The Netherlands my new callsign would have to start with the prefix PA, PB, PC, PE, PF, PG or PH. Exceptions are PA0 (only “oldtimers”) and all other prefixes followed by number 6 (events only).

My current callsign is PD1JP and I mainly operate in phone and digimodes (PSK etc.), but I have experienced that in phone it is not a very easy call to take at the other end. I am not running a big station, just a small beam for 10m and a vertical for other bands. So now I am looking for a new callsign which is easy to take, especially when hunting new DXCC, IOTA and in contests, and catches your attention on the clusters.

Here are a few that I like myselff (I like more but those are already in use…).  But perhaps you nice OM can help me choose the best out of these:

PA9X
PC4Y
PC9Y
PC4C
PC9C
PH1X
PH4X
PH5X

Perhaps you know a better one that is not in this list, you can check the availibality here: http://appl.agentschaptelecom.nl/callbook/cgi-bin/callboek.cgi?taal=UK

Tnx

Jean-Paul
PD1JP
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:53:14 AM »

I can see the difficulty of using your current call phonetics, they are sort of awkward. Of all the ones you listed I think PA9X - Papa Alfa 9 Xray rolls off of the tongue the easiest.
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 06:52:59 AM »

I agree with the Papa Alpha 9 X-ray. Seems to be the best one to say and may actually be easier to understand.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 07:04:38 AM »

PA9X might be the best for weak signal DXing. Among other things, the PA prefix is well known while the PB,PC,PE,PF,PG, and PH prefixes are not well known.  

The PC calls are probably quite good.  C is a fairly strong and recognizable letter, "Charlie" is a good phonetic, and "Papa Charlie Nine Charlie" is a very nice call on phone so I think maybe I like PC9C the best of those.  It's an unusual call but not hard to decode.   PC9C is a better call overall than PA9X for DXing in my opinion, provided the DX you're trying to work isn't trying to fit your call into their expectations.   Plus, I dunno, "Charlie" will probably not be confused for anything... so maybe the "traditional prefix" advantage isn't really an advantage in comparison.

The PH calls look cool and are unusual but as someone who used to be N3UMH, I'm not a big fan of "H" in a call.  It's worst on CW but "Hotel" is kind of a lackluster phonetic too.   I always felt that I had problems  with the H when I lived in an apartment and had a weaker signal.

If you choose one of the PH calls and eventually use CW, I can practically guarantee that you will be regularly mistaken on the cluster for a North Korea (P5) station.  I don't think that's the kind of cluster attention you ACTUALLY want Grin

I think maybe PC9C is my favorite.  

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:08:58 AM by N3OX » Logged

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:06:33 AM »

Jean-Paul:  I've worked the Netherlands for 55 years, first as a DL4 and then with my two home calls.  Netherlands has always been PA for me and is world recognized.

So my vote is PA9X.  Good luck. 

BTW, I love your country and the people.  I've been to the Netherlands 3 times and it's always a joy to be there!

Al - K8AXW
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:42:41 AM »

And if you plan on using CW, PA9X is the way to go, too. GL
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »

PC9C is a very catchy CW call IMO

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
PD1JP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:24:20 AM »

Thanks all. PA9X sounds great to me too.

Jean-Paul.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:40:54 PM »

PC9C is good for fone and CW.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:42:43 PM by WX7G » Logged
PD1JP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 02:40:00 PM »

Indeed, PA9X is likely to be more recognized, but I also agree with N3OX that PC9C is more catchy. Perhaps using a less known prefix like would trigger more response, just out of curiosity? Difficult choice.

PC9X: a good or bad compromise?
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 03:42:30 AM »

PH5X would not be so good on CW.

Althopugh I'm told that pre 1939, there was XU2UU on the air - and that was on CW!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: