Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N2VZ Turbo Tuner where's Bill ?  (Read 7677 times)
N5UD

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »

Some may recall that my TT developed trouble and I thought it was the motor control IC.
Bill wanted to inspect this, even as I just wanted to change the IC. I mailed back to address
in Florida as provided via email on Nov 9.

No reply or call from Bill since. No TT either.

Does anyone here have any insight into the incognito situation ?

73 Tony N5UD
WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 05:13:22 AM »

Try calling the number listed at the website. Email does NOT work.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »

Have tried multiple times. Goes to VM. No replies. Same number as Bill had on his emails to me in October, and until November 8.
Another ham is going to try registered mail to NJ address.

73 Tony N5UD
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »

There have been numerous posts here dealing with Bill's response, or lack of it.

From Bill's perspective, he's having health problems. That may be true, as I have heard the same story from him over the last 3 or 4 years.

Also in evidence, is his (self professed) decision to sell through distribution. Both HRO, and AES show his products on their respective web pages. I note that neither appear to have stock, but perhaps they do. In any case, I haven't ask.

If this wasn't enough, between eham.net, qrz.com, and at least 10 other amateur related blogs, Bill Krantz, N2VZ, owner of Turbo Tuner is a no show. Products sent in for repair haven't been fixed and/or returned; phone calls have not been answered; e-mails go into never-never land; and it appears everyone is in a lurch.

When all of this started to become apparent (circa October 2011), I did send Bill an e-mail. He did answer, and he told me he was still in business, adding the information about distribution putting him behind (as well as his supposed health issues). While that is all and great, thankfully, I don't own a Turbo Tuner (never has actually). Good luck to those who do!

AB1KC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 06:33:08 PM »

i spoke to him about 2 weeks ago. I just called the number and he picked up the phone. I purchased the TT from HRO, they had it in stock. It works just fine! More than I can say about the Better RF unit I had......
Bruce
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 07:34:30 PM »

You must be the lucky one. 609-249-3875 is the number I have. It was good in October, and it is on his last email to me on Nov. 8.
No communications since. I must have left a VM about 6 times now. Sent at least that many emails just wanting to know status. Now no contact is getting OLD.

Heck I was ready to repair the TT myself, only Bill insisted that I send it to him so he could determine why the motor IC failed. Said he never had one fail. Hmm

73 Tony N5UD

N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:57:42 AM »

update......I mailed off  letters to NJ and Fl addresses one week ago.
No reply yet.

I have heard from 2-3 others with repair/return shipping problems months old.

N5UD
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 08:40:07 PM »

The Postal Service returned my Palm City, Florida addressed letter to Bill Kantz.

"not deliverable....unable to forward"

Waiting on QRZ addressed latter to New Jersey.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 08:03:16 AM »

Never had one fail? I find that incredulous. TheTT users a L298, a programmable bridge rectifier, in place of relays. Depending on the case, it can handle from 3 to 4.5 amps. But that is not the real problem—RFI ingress is! If the motor leads are incorrectly choked, eventually the chip fails. Unfortunately, neither the TT manual, or the manual from Tarheel (which pushes the product) has adequate information on proper choking.

The question remains, can a user replace the chip? Yes, if you have simple bench tools. It helps if you have a decent desoldering tool, but you can do it with desolder braid. Takes (me) about 30 minutes.

Sort of off the subject.....

I was told by Mr. Krantz (last October), the reason he was so behind was that he was working overtime to produce enough product to satisfy orders from both AES, and HRO. If that is the case, then sooner or later the lack of addressing customer problems will come back to haunt him big time!

WV4L

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 07:37:33 AM »

Spoke with Bill the other day to request a firmware update for my TT. He sent me the files via email. Now I need to figure out how to load them on to my TT. Guess I'm gonna need an adapter to make the link between my TT and laptop and see if I can get them to work together to transfer the files. Anybody here done this? Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Wayne C.
WV4L
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »

Yes I have done it. Use the com port (serial) on PC. I have all the info, BUT I am on a trip. Not home to check my notes. I think I just used a simple com program to upload the file. I do not recall if the TT is a DCE or a DTE device. That part was somewhat frustrating.

I am glad Bill talked to you. Still has not contacted me, after sending a letter.

N5UD
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »

Spoke with Bill the other day to request a firmware update for my TT. He sent me the files via email. Now I need to figure out how to load them on to my TT. Guess I'm gonna need an adapter to make the link between my TT and laptop and see if I can get them to work together to transfer the files. Anybody here done this? Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Wayne C.
WV4L

I have the files for a R3, Kenwood update. If you need these I can email.

Also 3 wires make the serial connection work. SD RD and SG. I did not write down if DCE or DTE.
I recall the big hang up is when asked for "reset the TT" i.e. power cycle.
You then must close the dialog box. The software will NOT take off on its own. Anytime "reset TT" close the box.

I just tried Bill again at Call 609-249-3875.
Only the same answer machine.

My letter of March 2 to NJ has NOT been replied to in any form of communication.

73 Dave N5UD
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 06:49:51 PM »

I got notice last week that the certified letter was signed for at his end in NJ.
Still no contact with/from Bill.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »

About mid April I finally spoke with Bill. At that time he was to send me replacement TT. I did not receive one. Nor I have received my old one back. Phone calls have gone not returned. Voice mail box. Now I get voice mail box not setup. So phone has been changed or forwarded.
The short of it, Bill still has my TT since November 8, 2011.

Tony N5UD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: