Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going "HAM"  (Read 1090 times)
N8TI

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2012, 03:23:50 AM »

Has everyone heard the new phrase that is making its way into our language?  "Going HAM," as in "I am going HAM on this homework."

HAM = "Hard as a Motherf*****"  I guess it should be spelled "HAAM," but it is spelled "HAM." 

Well, I guess then this weekend I'll being going HAM on my Ham Radio antennas.  Mother Nature has been going HAM on making good weather.  (That just doesn't sound right, does it?).

de Joe N8tI
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:15:58 AM »

First Seven entries in URBAN DICTIONARYtm confirm this unfortunate change in the the current vernacular.  There's probably no way for we hams to "reclaim" our original use of the term, especially with those of a certain age or culture.  All the more reason to migrate to using the term "Amateur Radio", I guess.  Then again, do you suppose there is any chance of luring new blood (young people) into the hobby by their implied understanding of the term "HAM" ?  (and would we WANT those that use their meaning of "HAM" in the hobby in the first place?
Maybe SOME of us Amateur Radio Operators already go "all HAM" during contests, Field Day, Etc. (hihi)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: