Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALINCO DR-605  (Read 6267 times)
K2LGO

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2012, 07:49:04 AM »

Once again I have to ask if anyone has found a source for the mic cord for the ALINCO DR-605...I have two 605-s, & one good mic with a good mic cord...Let me elaborate, the first unit I got about 14 years ago has the original mic and cord and all is well...the 2nd unit I bought about 10 years ago had a mic cord that virtually disintegrated with the sun in mobile use, after a week...Alinco shipped me a new cord for only shipping costs, but the same thing happened..I then purchased another cord, and once again the mic cord shredded in indoor use...Now I know many of you are saying, just get a new cord and solder it in place and shut up....Well if it we're only that simple....The cords have a proprietary strain relief that fits the mic, and can't be duplicated...So in order to use my 2nd radio, the mic cord is 75 percent vinyl tape, and stiff as a board...Should I scrap working radios because of mic cords?...ALINCO should have stood behind the cords, and if you research it on eham, you will find out I am not the only one with this problem...any suggestions??
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:05:04 AM »

yes.. get a 4 or 8 wire cord. what ever is needed.. 
transfer the  strain relief from the old one. If it was put together once it should be  able to  'put together again. ''
Ok...... so its  molded and cant be  cut open or bent  open like a metal one.
make your own strain relief..  most are a spring.. some are  flexible  plastic or rubber.
a spring for   logitudinal strength.. and   a bunch of  silicone  for   flex..
It  don't have to be  'purty'...
if necessary  make  forms  out of   scotch tape  or even lightly  grease  the inside of the  mic case.. squirt silicone  in to fill the internal ridges..     the grease will keep the silicone from   sticking to the  mic case. but will conform to the  internals..

If some eng gin eeer   designed it  you can re design it to fit your needs.

Hack saws and  arc welders  were invented to make up for engineers  mistakes. !!!

don
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:57:58 PM »

An old trick I have used is to slit the strain relief lengthwise and peel it off the old cord. Clean it up as needed. Now wrap it around the new cord and glue the edges back together.

73s,
Win
K2LGO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:01:49 AM »

KB5ZSM...Now that's a good suggestion...Slitting the strain insulator might just work...I will look around for an 8 pin RJ-11 coiled cord...Many tks....BOB
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:13:51 AM »

I have an  rj11  crimper  from  my  telephone days. if you find the 8 wire  cord and  get a rj11  end   find a local  telephone guy  and have  him crimp in on for you.
or many  clubs would have at least one person with  exotic tools..l

WOODSTER2

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 08:38:56 AM »

I have a working mic from an Alinco DR 600. I no longer have the radio.
K2LGO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »

I believe the DR-600 mic has an 8 pin connector, whereas the 605 has a rj-45 connector...Thanks for trying...
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 06:25:51 PM »

RJ 45 connectors and crimping tools are much easier to find.  Home Depot, Lowes, Radio Shack maybe, just about anywhere telephone hookup stuff is sold. 

EI2IV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »

To salvage the cable strain relief piece from the mike you could try cutting the old cable flush with the strain relief, pluck out the wires one at a time from the inside then get a small vice grips to hold a good sharp drill bit the same size as the outside diameter of the old mike cable and drill the old mike cable insulation out of the cable strain relief by twisting the vice grips and drill bit. You can add some glue to the new cable where it is inside the strain relief if required.
W8LGZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:46:13 AM »

Here's an easy fix...Alinco EMS-54 hand mic (made for the DR-605)...still available new, around $60.00. Problem solved.
K2LGO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 03:39:56 AM »

I am the original poster, and perhaps W8LGZ didn't read and understand the post...I did indeed buy two new mics as replacements for the original, and both cords shredded within weeks...But I do not think it is a wise financial decision to spend $60.00 on a rig that is somewhat long in the tooth, especially with the company that produced the bad mics in the first place... and who knows if the mics cords are any better now.   I made my feelings known to Alinco about  this situation, and they ignored me, and I will not spend any more of my hard earned money on their products...
Some of the other suggestions about slitting the strain insulator, and installing a new cord are much more to my liking...Bob
W8LGZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 03:24:56 PM »

K2LGO,

Sir, I did read and understand your post. Since you are dead set against spending more money on Alinco products, not to sound like a jerk (not my intent), you're left with limited choices to fix your radios; use the other suggestions posted here or "frankenstein" a mic from Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom to work on your radios. It won't match and you may lose some (or all) mic functions, but it will work.

Best of luck!
Jim
MDNITERDER

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »

hey check this out not bat for $10 and 3.95 shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPEK-MC8-6-3FT-MICROPHONE-MIC-CABLE-COILED-CORD-8-WIRE-/400265681261?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d31b1996d

Get a buddy who does Ethernet cables and your set, Or a Cable installation guy should have these.
W2MN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 08:16:08 AM »

I have twice replaced the cord on microphones and reused the original strain relief suscessfully.

Start out buy getting a replacement cord that you think is suitable; try to get one sized anbout the same or smaller diameter. Measure the outside diameter (of the cord jacket); get a drill that size or very slightly larger.  Take the old assembled microphone and cut off the cord right at the end of the strain relief (strain relief untouched). From the microphone end, pull out the remaining wire. Now you have an almost empty strain relief with the jacket from the old cord still in there.

Now freeze the strain relief in the freezer over night so it's as hard as possible (dry ice is even better and quicker). Now QUICKLY put it in a vise and carefully drill a hole the size of the new wire following the hole left by the old wire. If you are lucky and the new wire is about the same diameter as the original, then drilling only removes the remains of the old jacket. If it's much larger than the old jacket, you may end up damaging the flexible part of the strain relief, but you still have the original gromet. Now using rubber cement as a lubricant and adhesive, slide the tight fitting new wire into place.

Tom
K2LGO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 10:26:15 AM »

Thanks to MDNITERDER for the suggestion about the OPEK mic cord...Great suggestion, and I did indeed purchase the cord, and the service from DX PARTS I believe it was, was outstanding, but the cord was very stiff...I will reserve comment until I try it and see how it works out...To W2MN that suggestion on freezing the strain relief to get the old cable out, was PURE GENIUS...I haven't tried it yet, but I can see it working just fine...
To all who replied with suggestions, THANK YOU
Of course if ALINCO would stand up for their mistake it would be a whole lot easier....YES I am unhappy with ALINCO...73/BOB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: