Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using 102 whip for mobile IC-7000  (Read 6337 times)
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »

LLN, very nice and clean setup!
Fred, looks like you have your answer!
james
WD5GWY
AD6FC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 09:19:10 PM »

Again, thanks to all for the help. Art, those pictures were super, and the reference to K0BG's website - a treasure chest!
I think maybe I will spend a little more retirement money, and opt for a Diamond SD330 screwdriver antenna. I think I can use a TT-IC7000 to tune the antenna. This will be a few hundred more, but then I won't have to spend it later on an antenna upgrade. I'm not sure I will be able to tune 60 meters very well, and also realize that 160 meters probably will be a "no-go."
I had earlier stated that a Radio Shack a little north of my QTH was going to install all the equipment. Many have told me this is not the best idea. Today, I had the honor to administer tests to 9 individuals, 8 of whom are now hams, and 1 who went the "Extra" distance. The instructor of the course said he will install all my equipment at no charge. (Don't tell him, but he's only half right!)
I look forward to exchanging QSO's with all of you.
Extremely grateful, soon-to-be sleep-deprived, 73
Fred AD6FC
N0AZZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 03:02:19 AM »

If it were me I would sell the LDG tuner and get you an Icom AH-4 Tuner it was meant for that combo I have one. If you have any doubts go to there web site and check them out you can download the manual there also. While your here on eHam go to reviews and check them out too. You will find them used a lot of the time for around $200 and they can be used mobile or as a remote tuner at you base or in a motor home wonderful tuner.

Fred/N0AZZ
AD6FC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 10:18:21 AM »

Hi, Fred (I like your name, by the way!) and thanks for the ideas. I had earlier considered the AH4 but was put off by these: 1. The product brochure states it will tune a wire 7m or longer on 80-6 meters; 2. on 40-6 meters with their recommended bumper-mount antenna.
I haven't made any purchases yet, so I can't sell an LDG tuner - I've pretty much made up my mind not to go with the LDG. I'm pretty sure I'll go with a screwdriver and it will protrude through the roof of my wife's new car. It is my hope to stay happily married and be able to communicate "worldwide," in that order! A 23-foot whip on top would not be too exciting for her, except for the crackling sound it will make when she drives under the closest overpass.
I sincerely appreciate the suggestions I've thus received. Please, don't let my sarcasm give offense. It's just a mechanism I've used for over 64 years to maintain mental health.
73 de (another)Fred, AD6FC
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 05:23:53 PM »

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to mount the screwdriver antenna on the roof of the car? The sheet metal is really thin you know.  Shocked
AD6FC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 09:41:53 PM »

Don't know, Vern. I'm deciding between Tarheel and High-Q (newest possibilities) and have an email into the Tarheel folks asking for advice. I would like a fold-down setup, but don't know if that's available.
Decisions, decisions!
73 de Fred AD6FC
WA2LLN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 05:43:19 AM »

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to mount the screwdriver antenna on the roof of the car? The sheet metal is really thin you know.  Shocked

That is a serious understatement.

I intended to mount a large Diamond 2m/70cm antenna using an NMO mount on the roof a little behind the front seats (in line with the pillars there).  Just screwing in the mount, the roof was wonky.  I know it was steel from the bits that came out while cutting the hole, but it felt a lot more like thin plastic.  There is no way in hell that would have worked with a 3-foot tall antenna, so I backed off and installed the little Larsen 2m/70cm antenna (which works quite well, BTW).

Fred, I would NOT attempt to mount a screwdriver antenna to the roof.  Make up something that mounts to the roof rack, which will be much more stable.  Or, mount it where I mounted my whip, and rig an insulated support that comes off the roof rack to take some of the stress off the sheet metal around the mount.

--
Art
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 06:22:56 AM »

If you use a screwdriver type antenna you won't need a tuner so you can calculate that cost savings into the mix.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:44 AM »

I guess he can use the savings to repair the car roof after he mounts the screwdriver antenna to it.  Wink

Seriously, you could use the MFJ triple magnet mount on the roof for the screwdriver antenna. It is just $34.95.
Cheap!  Grin

After you get it installed, look out for those low limbs or drive-throughs. You could end up with $300 to $500 worth of broken parts on a stick.  Shocked
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »

I guess he can use the savings to repair the car roof after he mounts the screwdriver antenna to it.  Wink

Seriously, you could use the MFJ triple magnet mount on the roof for the screwdriver antenna. It is just $34.95.
Cheap!  Grin

After you get it installed, look out for those low limbs or drive-throughs. You could end up with $300 to $500 worth of broken parts on a stick.  Shocked
Mounting any screwdriver antenna on the roof, even on the roof rack, is not a good idea.
As for mag mounts, the subject has been beaten to death here and on other forums. But, using a mag mount, has it's own set of dangers. They can and do, come off at high speed. And the added wind resistance of a screwdriver antenna helps increase that possibility. If you are lucky, only your car gets the crap beat out of it before you get stopped. If you are not lucky, and the coax breaks, someone behind you gets smacked
 with it. Either way, not a good idea in my opinion. I have seen the Little Tarheel II mounted on a ball mount like the one linked to a few posts back. In a location like that and properly mounted, with a heavy duty ball mount, it won't go anywhere. And it will work pretty well. I bought my first Little Tarheel II used (although it looked and worked like new) at a local hamfest. It was mounted on a three magnet , mag mount. With very large magnets. For the fun of it, I drove home with it on the roof of my 1997 Dodge pickup. I placed it in the center of the roof. By the time I got about 30 miles down the road, it had walked all the way to the very back edge of the cab. (Extended cab pickup)
That made me decide the mag mount would not ever be used. I still have it, but, I do not ever plan to use it. Hard mounting is much better and safer. And I would be willing to bet insurance companies would feel better about it too.
james
WD5GWY

AD6FC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 12:18:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure I will not mount the screwdriver through the roof, but on the side with a heavy-duty ball mount as in Art's photo. "Shorty", K6JSI, will be directing installation and he's advising that I wait to get the vehicle so we can see what we're getting into, then proceed from there. I am just too anxious. The money is crying out, "Spend me, now!"
Thanks again to all for the help and suggestions. I will definitely chronicle this project with many pictures which, if allowed, I will post here. I also look forward to making contacts; not sure of which band(s) at this juncture.
73 de Fred AD6FC
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: