Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Full sized 160 loop- sinker needed more friction  (Read 1483 times)
KD8Z

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:04:24 AM »

Walmarts cheapo slingshot would not toss the 1 oz sinker more than a few feet.  It worked fine in several test shots.  But the sinker slipped out of the slingshot webbing in first few attempts.  It needed more friction, so we put some duct tape around the sinker with the sticky side out.  Viola,  the sinker flew like a bird in heat. The felt webbing did not grip the sinker well and needed to "infrictionated", is that a real word?   Just incase someone needs their slingshot "infrictionated!"
The Zebco 404 worked like a charm.  We also, taped the connection between the #15 lbs. nylon string and the Barrel Swivel  w/interlock snap in hopes of less hang up in the branches.  Went through like it had been greased, no hang ups.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:34:02 AM by KD8Z » Logged
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:17:06 PM »

Rubberized tape of the type used for sealing connections would also give plenty of friction.

I have a hand-held antenna made from PVC pipe and it gets a bit slippery sometimes, so
I used some of the wrap used for tennis racket or hockey stick handles.
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:26:38 PM »

I also use a Walmart wrist-rocket typ of sling shot with 15 pound line (Zebco casting reel side-mounted) and a 1-1.5 ounce sinker.  I have never had the problem you describe.  The only problem I run into from time to time is if the sinker hits a branch at high velocity, ricochets, and winds itself up around another branch at which point I have to break the line and use a different sinker. 
KD8Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »

w4vr, Hmmm, I have never had a ricochet problems that you are talking about, but I shoot over the tree rather than through it.  As for the sinker slipping problem I am experiencing perhaps the webbing is of a different material between you slingshot and my slingshot.  Perhaps you can send me a sample to compare. hihi 
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:41:02 AM »

w4vr, Hmmm, I have never had a ricochet problems that you are talking about, but I shoot over the tree rather than through it.  As for the sinker slipping problem I am experiencing perhaps the webbing is of a different material between you slingshot and my slingshot.  Perhaps you can send me a sample to compare. hihi 

I never go for the top of the tree because the installation rope will wear away under high winds.  I always shoot for the 50 to 60 foot branch or crotch on an 80' tree for example.  I've found over the years that the teardrop sinkers work the best...the ones with a small brass loop a the top to insert your line.  BTW, if you shoot over the tree a good supporting rope for your antennas is heavy duty weed wacker cord...that won't wear out as easily as parachute cord or dacron.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »

Quote from: KD8Z
...But the sinker slipped out of the slingshot webbing in first few attempts...

I suspect the problem is that the leather "pouch" on the slingshot was cut from a flat sheet
of leather.  If the weight isn't exactly centered on the point of force, or if there is any
sideways pull from the string, then the force is applied off-center and the weight doesn't
fly straight.

One solution would be to bind the ends of the pouch with heavy string right by the holes
where it is tied to the rubber.  That pulls it into more of an actual pocket shape that tends
to keep the weight centered.  Three wraps of string pulled tight and tied is probably sufficient.
WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:33:15 PM »

Make a bigger pouch and shoot a tennis ball.

If your weight is winding up on the branches you have too much drag open it up. I use a Zebco Rhino.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: