Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a way to find out if a call sign was ever issued???  (Read 1635 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2012, 08:30:07 AM »

....and I am talking about spanning back into at least the 1950s....At some point way into the future, I would like to change my call sign to K3NRX...for the sake of breavity....However, I have no desire to carry around for the rest of my days the call sign of a dead guy...if that's the case, I will stick with what I have until the end.....Is there a way to find out if this call sign was ever used and if so how???....K3NRX is available, but I would like to know if it has a history.....Someone please advise...

V
KA3NRX

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:25:37 AM »

Back then, a callsign was issued to a novice operator with the 'N' incorporated into it (eg: xNnxxx) with the intent of dropping the 'N' when the operator got the next higher class of license.  (ex: xnxxx)  All too often, people got their novice licenses--but didn't advance because ham radio wasn't what they thought it was.  The result is that a lot of call signs weren't issued because their 'owners' didn't upgrade.

The only real way to find out is to get callsign books from when the year that the surrounding callsigns were issued and check them.

There really isn't any big deal about having a vanity call from a ham who has passed on anyway.  You can simply think of it as honoring that ham by using his/her call today.  Most of them won't mind at all--and they may even be happy that they're call IS still being used. 
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:42:07 AM »

In the novice days the "N" was between the prefix "K" or "W" and the call area..... not after the call area.

The only way I know of to find out about who owned the call previously is to check call books looking for that call and if you don't find it, continue back until you do.  What you will probably find is a call with letters listed prior to your call and after.... your call being skipped.  It is then necessary to continue back in time with call books until you find your call.  This will no doubt be a major undertaking since it isn't likely you'll find a collection of call books.

Frankly, if  you don't find you call, say in the 50s, I'd just take it and forget it. 
W4LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 05:54:47 AM »

I have a 1956 Callbook and K3NRX is not listed.  W3NRX was listed.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »

I have a 1956 Callbook and K3NRX is not listed.  W3NRX was listed.

Good start LK!  Apparently the K prefix hadn't been used in 1956.  I would then jump ahead 5 years and check again.  Since he 3 call area is fairly small, it might be necessary to jump ahead 10 years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: