Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am-Com Clear Speech CSS-II (has built in speaker)  (Read 1133 times)
AF6EC

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »

I just acquired this unit and it does do a great job of noise reduction but there is always a low level of what sounds like several conversations in the background. This is occurs whether or not a real signal is being received. I would like to know if this is normal for this unit. Also the green pilot light is out. Is this hard to access and replace. Lastly, does anyone know where a manual can be obtained for this unit.

Thanks for any help.   Jim   AF6EC
KA6OTJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 01:22:28 PM »

The low level noise is normal. In fact even if you just has power running through it you will hear
 the noise.  I first thought there were a bunch of baby birds making noise in my atic.  I have no input on the pilot light.

Jay-Kayotj
AF6EC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 06:21:24 PM »

Jay,  Thanks for the response. I feel better knowing the noise is normal. Other than that, it is an amazing product. I am surprised it is no longer being made. I think I will search around for another one as a back-up!

Jim  AF6EC
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:00:38 PM »

That low noise is normal, yes. It's just artifacts from the DSP.

I have the instructions somewhere for mine. But IIRC, it didn't say much of anything useful.

There is another like it, but I don't know who makes it. Unlike the old Am-Com ClearSpeech, it has multiple level settings. But I have no idea how it compares.

Seems like there was an article in QST last year that explained how to make one.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:03:50 PM by W0BTU » Logged

KA6OTJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:57:39 PM »

Jim, West Mountain Radio now owns the patten on the speaker and  I think speakers and is selling them for around $220.00 a copy.  Like you I think this is the best noise reducer out there.  I did buy a second one as a spare and after 10 years I did have to put it into service

http://www.westmountainradio.com/content.php?page=dsp-speakers

Jay
Ka6otj
AF6EC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »

Jay, You are absolutely right about West Mountain. Good to know these are still available, I was told they are no longer being made.

And thanks also to W0BTU.

I now hear stations that I did not even know were there before!

73's  Jim   AF6EC

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: