Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to pack with a 2 meter hand held for a domestic flight?  (Read 7588 times)
N8DV

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »

I am going to Chicago for a few days and would like to take my handheld. I have not flown since 9/11 and the new restrictions. Is it going to be a problem to pack this radio in a carry on bag? Any suggestions?  73
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:49:23 AM »

Absolutely not. I would carry a the wallet-sized copy of my amateur radio license, and simply be prepared to turn the radio ON for TSA, and advise them it is a piece of amateur "ham" radio gear.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
N8DV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »

Ok thanks. I always carry my amateur radio license just in case a leo gets interested in my radios and antennas on my car. Thanks again.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »

Hi,

I have the NOAA weather radio frequencies programmed in my ht,
that way they can't transmit when they turn it on an start pressing
the PTT.  I have the ATIS/WX ASOS frequencies blocked in memory.

73 james
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »

Rather than find yourself jammed up at the airport over this question I suggest you contact your carrier and ask them SPECIFICALLY about this. 

When I took my HT, charger, length of coax with take-down antenna to Germany I did this.  It saves a lot of grief at the airport when they scan your bag and see something that looks like a block of C4 and electronics!
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 06:39:57 AM »

Just to add one more anecdotal data point: I've been traveling with my VX-8R & ext. Mike/GPS (and coily cord) in my carry-on, domestically and internationally for years and never been asked about it once buy anyone.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 08:05:39 AM »

I take off the battery pack and put it a separate Zip-Lok bag with the radio.  That way there
is no way it can get turned on accidentally.  That makes it easier to inspect if the battery
looks suspicious, but the pack is handy if they want me to turn it on.

But they've never asked.  I carry homebrew radio equipment in my carry-on at least a
couple times a year, and often on international flights, and have never had a problem.

(Check with your airline - it might not be covered by lost luggage insurance if it is in your
checked bags.)

The one thing that is guaranteed to get my suitcase opened for inspection, however, is a
5 pound chunk of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar cheese.
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 02:11:58 PM »

Turn it off and stick it in your carry on bag just like you would if you were driving in the car!

Just about every TSA inspector has seen a "walkie-talkie" before.  I'm reasonably confident that they can tell it apart from something that shouldn't be there.

Enjoy your trip!
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:49:11 PM »

I just got back from a trip in Orlando. I had  a hand held scanner, and my hand held 2m/440 radio on me.  never had a problem with  TSA,and they never saidanything or took the time  to look at it
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 08:26:42 AM »

This is a NON-ISSUE. I have travelled many time since 9/11 and never had a problem carrying my handheld onto the plane. They treat is as they do any other electronic device (ie iPod, cell phone).

K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 04:10:56 AM »

Oddly the only regulation that comes into play is the lithium ion batteries. Regulations say these have to be in the cabin and cannot be in checked luggage. I've carried by VX7r on more than a dozen planes and have never been asked what is was or why I had it.

It's a non issue.

Bernie
KI4ENS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 08:52:36 AM »

I flew to Alaska in 2010 with a VX-7r, FT-817ND, MFJ analyzer, antenna tuner, wall warts,  homemade PSK31 box and associated cables in my carry-on.  No real issues,  they did open my bag since it was so packed. 

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 10:14:24 AM »

Well just to show that everything isn't always so well greased and smooth when you fly and have to deal with the TSA jerkwads, here is my account of trip late last year ..... CENSORED of course from the original fully emotionally expressed 'delight' in flying!!!!
------------------------

I'm glad to be away from the friggin TSA and airports. I got the FULL treatment yesterday as when I checked into the airport in Ft. Smith, Arkansas all was well until I go to the security checkpoint. I had brought back a couple of small 2M ham radio transceivers that belonged to my late father and had them in my carry on along with my 'Maxpedition' shoulder bag (also in the acceptable sized carry on) and my CPAP breathing machine bag separately. Sent bags thru the Xray and I figured they would need to look at them so no problem so far. I stripped off my shoes, belt, change, wallet, etc. and went thru the metal detector. Since my pants have gotten a bit big (guess my cutting back is starting to work) I had to hold my belt loops to keep from instigating a floorshow for the TSA bozos. While going thru the MD, I bumped the side of the MD with my elbow ...... Note to fellow travelers: DO NOT BUMP MD WITH ELBOW - IT PISSES OFF THE TSA GOONS CAUSE THEY HAVE TO RESET THE MD SYSTEM and holds up the line. Anyway so they reset it and I go thru it again. No beeps, bells or whistles this time. Then the fun starts. One of the 'helpful' TSA asks "Is this your bag? (my carry on)" to which I reply YES while all the time thinking 'No you moron. It belongs to the 9 ft tall midget in the pink too-too that just flew thru here on rollerstakes!'. He says he needs to open it a look inside. Sure I said thinking have fun poking thru my dirty drawers ......

He proceeds to wipe the bag down with his trusty wand and sample paper and sticks it in the testing machine!!! WHOA NELLIE!!!! BELLS, WHISTLES, KLAXTONS, ALARMS, FLASHING LIGHTS, biblical end of the world type of stuff happens while I stand there waiting to put my belt back on so my pants won't fall down!!!  The supervisor steps in and asks what the machine registered to which schmuck #1 says some esoteric 3 letter abbreviation (which I looked up later - meant plastic explosives) and the word "TNT". Suddenly I am surrounded by 4 TSA agents and a Ft. Smith city cop, hand resting on his sidearm but not drawn. They rip open my bag and take everything out and go thru every single pocket and wipe down everything except my behind to test it all. All the bags come up 3 letters and TNT. Now these guys are starting to get that glassy eyed since each one of them is thinking "I'm going to be famous since I singlehandedly caught 'Ali Baba Bada$$, the infamous Arkansas Taliban terrorist' and they start asking me 20 questions and start looking for the phonebooks and rubber hoses to beat me with to get their answers. Schmuck #1 steps out onto my side of the table, which by now has all of my stuff including my dirty drawers out for public display as people walk by going thru security behind me. He pulls me off to another section of the floor there and starts giving me the well renown TSA 'privates' massage and pat down.

After they complete 2 or more pat downs (lost count but it seems that every time a wiping of the bag brought a positive response, I got another 'examination' and pat down. Either that or the dork just liked to massage my 'privates'?!?!?! Not sure what they thought they were going to find on patdown #2 and #3 since I had not moved a inch since #1 was done 2 minutes before. Anyway after they finish and can't find anything, they say 'Sorry for the inconvenience' to which I replied 'No problem' thinking I didn't expect anything less from a group of deadbeats like the TSA. Dirty looks were exchanged and I got redressed, repacked my luggage, gave my home phone and email to my new boyfriend (the massager) and went to the waiting room.

Had to go thru security again in Phoenix and LAX but those were an in and out 2-3 minutes tops and on my way. Guess the massager had spread the word and told everyone up the line I was his 'b!tch' now!

Got home late last night and for a splendid nightcap to a great adventure, my checked luggage wasn't there. Got a call this morning that it came in on the next plane at 11PM.

I have no idea as to why my bags showed any response to their testing? I started number 6 in the security line and finished at the end of appx 45 people. Took me around 30 minute plus to get thru the gaggle of 'Barney Fife Terrorism Prevention School' dropouts wearing the blue shirts (affectionately known as the TSA).

Next time I'm driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

So you see boys and girls, be afraid ..... very afraid if the TSA is involved because logic and reason just flew out the open cockpit window when you deal with these retards!!!!

And please keep your "Well they do it for our protection" BS to yourself because I don't and won't believe it!!

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: