Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coax Help Please!  (Read 995 times)
KF7POH

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:42:06 PM »

Ok I have watched other hams a million times attache a PL259 Connector to RG58 coax, but the one time I try it I am getting poor signal reports on my mobile radio. Any ideas and info would be a great help as I am lost and have an upcoming event that would require my mobile rig. Thanks

James, KF7POH
KB5ZSM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:46:30 PM »

The poor reports doesn't necessarily mean you did anything wrong. It could be the radio or the antenna. (I'm assuming you don't have an SWR or Power meter so I'll help with the simplest of test equipment I know) Did you test the coax for continuity from the PL-259 to the base of your antenna (shorts or opens). A simple continuity checker (battery and lightbulb) should due for now. Remove the antenna from its mount. Now check the PL-259 for a short between the center pin and the sleeve (or Shield). If there is a short then you found your problem. If there is no short then check for continuity between the center pin of the PL-259 to the center connector of the antenna mount (should show continuity). Now repeat for the shield (should show same). Now reconnect antenna to mount and test from PL-259 center pin to the antenna whip (Should show continuity)(If no continuity, check that the center contact of the mount is making contact with the center contact of the antenna). I don't know what mount your using or I would help tell you how to fix it if that is the problem. If all of that checks out then maybe the radio is not transmitting with full potential or the antenna itself may have a fault.

Hope this helps.
73s,
Win
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:28:50 AM »

the  only real trick  with  rg58  and pl259s  is
slide the  ug174 (or 175 i forget) over the coax.    strlp the outer cover  abut 2 inchses.
slide the  ug  down and fold the  shield overe the ug and  work back to the  outer cover.
so the   cover is completely  inside the  UGxxx
now  cut the shield at the  UG  threads  with a scissors... l l yes a scissors.. nice neat  straight cut...
now trim the  center insulator about 3/16 longer than the end of the shield..

you should  now have about  one plus inches of  center wire sticking out.
this shoud be long enough to easy  slide into the  pin with out  folding bac a strand..

this is the important part..      grip the  UG and the coax  so they  cant  twist seperatly..
take the  pl259 and thread it onto the  UG..  not thread the  UG into the 259 while the  coax slips....
now check for shorts as  this is the point where you may  have a single strand of shield  touching the center wire.
now test for  shorts .   remember  if the antennas is installed  it may  have a coil in it  connected  center to shield which will measure a short.

iif all checks out    then solder the center connector..
you can easily remove ans start over  if you havent  soldered the center conductor..
I never solder  the  UG or shield.. it is  clamped tight aand doesnt need it. also  you arer surer  it is ok  if the  UG threads down  flush  to the  259..   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: