Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UP grading  (Read 5827 times)
KI8BL

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:59:48 AM »

why do i have to retake the Advanced test,with the extra to get the extra??? iam Advanced now,so why in the  he double hockey sticks . do i have to retake it? this is so stupid. i can see if your a no code ham. iam not.i passed 20 wpm perfect copy. iam studing to upgrade.but now thinking for get it..
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »

why do i have to retake the Advanced test,with the extra to get the extra??? iam Advanced now,so why in the  he double hockey sticks . do i have to retake it? this is so stupid. i can see if your a no code ham. iam not.i passed 20 wpm perfect copy. iam studing to upgrade.but now thinking for get it..

You don't have to retake the Advanced exam.  In fact, there is no Advanced exam.
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »

You don't have to retake the Advanced exam.  In fact, there is no Advanced exam.

When the Advanced Class went away, the Advanced and Extra class tests were combined into one larger test.

I guess if you want to be an Amateur Extra, you will have to bite the bullet and take the new test or, otherwise, remain as an Advanced. BTW, I always felt the Advanced was harder than the Extra back when they were separate tests.

73!  Smiley

Will Rogers

K5WLR
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »

A few years ago the FCC restructured licensing.

One must take the Extra test to get the Extra ticket.

When I upgraded from Advanced to Extra, I took the Extra test.

Bob
KI8BL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »

lmao i know you have to take the EXTRA EXAM!!!! but the Advanced is in with the EXTRA so i have to take it AGAIN BS pure BS
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 06:27:39 PM »

A trained monkey could pass any of the tests just by studying the published questions and correct answers for a week or two.   I'm not saying that's the right way to go about it, as you'd miss out on actually learning valuable material that is of use to the hobby, but I imagine that's what a lot of folks do.

As a side note, I am debating the merits of upgrading from General to Extra.   Right now I don't see a heck of a lot of benefit for me.
KI8BL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:57:40 PM »

i know what you mean! i have only 25khz in cw and ssb on 40m lol and 75 and 80m i mean. i took it once! like a murder only gets tried once lol.. only i think its stupid to have to retake the Advanced with the new Extra!!!
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 09:26:34 PM »

lmao i know you have to take the EXTRA EXAM!!!! but the Advanced is in with the EXTRA so i have to take it AGAIN BS pure BS

You're absolutely right.  You should show the FCC how wrongheaded their policies are by refusing to take the Extra.  That'll teach 'em.
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 11:06:48 PM »

i know what you mean! i have only 25khz in cw and ssb on 40m lol and 75 and 80m i mean. i took it once! like a murder only gets tried once lol.. only i think its stupid to have to retake the Advanced with the new Extra!!!

I think you should stop your complaining and just take the test. "retake the Advanced with the new Extra", lol.

What a silly statement to make.

Why did you start this troll thread? bored? Or maybe you are afraid to take the Extra exam. Maybe you will fail Smiley
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:11:44 PM by W0DV » Logged
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:22:34 PM »

A trained monkey could pass any of the tests just by studying the published questions and correct answers for a week or two.   I'm not saying that's the right way to go about it, as you'd miss out on actually learning valuable material that is of use to the hobby, but I imagine that's what a lot of folks do.

As a side note, I am debating the merits of upgrading from General to Extra.   Right now I don't see a heck of a lot of benefit for me.

A "trained monkey"? lol. You find a monkey who can pass the exams and I will  be very impressed Smiley

Are the tests easy? depends on who you are. Some find the tests very difficult, others find the tests to be easy.

Why is it such a hard decision on wether or not to upgrade? Just take the exam, and enjoy the hobby. Move forward.
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 11:26:48 PM »

You're absolutely right.  You should show the FCC how wrongheaded their policies are by refusing to take the Extra.  That'll teach 'em.

lol,
For some reason when I viewed the first post of this thread, a mental image of a small child sitting on a potty chair, bawling his head off, came to me.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 06:06:56 AM »

If I had it to do all over again I would just keep the advanced.  The don't make those anymore.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 06:35:39 AM »

why do i have to retake the Advanced test,with the extra to get the extra??? iam Advanced now,so why in the  he double hockey sticks . do i have to retake it? this is so stupid. i can see if your a no code ham. iam not.i passed 20 wpm perfect copy.

So you passed 20WPM perfect copy but didn't take the Extra theory?

The answer to "why do I have to retake it?" seems to be "because you waited too long to take the written test."

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 08:27:08 AM »

Some people just take the Extra test because it's there.  Like some climb mountains because they're there. 

As for the Extra ticket; OK, maybe the advantages of having it are small but it's nice to be able to move throughtout the band without concerning myself with band segments!

Finally, what's wrong with learning something?  I mean no offense BL, but I used to hear the same argument many years ago when talking to CB'rs.  Usually when in a group.  They would use the same argument to fortify their own excuses for being too lazy to move up to ham radio.
KI8BL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »

no iam mad that they screwed up radio.with no code crap.making cbers that cant do code welcome,i took the advanced once and if i go to extra i have to take it again... which is stupid as cb
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: