Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which transceiver should I choose ?Yaesu FT-857D or Icom IC-7000?Mobile use .  (Read 28317 times)
BG8VZ

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:09:55 AM »

I have a IC -7200 in my house ,and I want to buy a radio for mobile use,such as field day ,car carry .I consider two tramsceiver ,one is Yaesu FT-857D ,the other is ICOM IC-7000.FT-857D is cheaper than IC-7000,but don't have IF DSP. IC-7000 have IF DSP ,but it's easy to damage .I see the reviews of two transceiver ,I found that FT-857D have higher rating than IC-7000. But in my city ,HF QRM is heavey,often the QRM is S7.Which transceiver should I choose?My budget is enough and I don't care about the price .I only care about the quality.Please help me to choose the transceiver and tell me the reason why you choose it.Thanks very much for your help .
     Best Wishes !73!
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 02:55:31 PM »

I have a 7000 in my car and I like it.  I think you should take the damage reports with a grain of salt.. there's thousands of radios in the field, but only people who have problems bother to report it, so the actual incidence of problems is pretty low.  I have a coworker who had problems with is 7000, but it's been fixed.

One thing for ALL mobile rigs: they need cooling air.  Tiny radio, lots of heat in a small space. Don't go shoving it under the seat with the dustbunnies and candy wrappers or into the stock radio spot in the dash.   I have my radio in the trunk mounted on the side wall where it won't get covered up by stuff and just the faceplate up front.

I don't know (not having a 7200), but I would think that if you like the 7200's user interface and operating modes, then another radio from the same company might be easier to use.
KG6IRW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »

First, let me explain that I've had an Ft-857 in my truck for the better part of 8 years now.  I followed an ICOM 706MkIIG that I started my hamming with as the main rig in the house. This is not intended to be biased toward that model, however.  Based on my experience with a mobile rig, here are some things to think about:

From the user interface, all have many depths of menu options which can be tough to deal with unless you know them by 'touch', so to speak.  Next, the display size is another consideration.  The 857 allows me to expand the frequency display at the expense of some of the other status icons and I need this when I'm driving.  Otherwise, I have to have my reading glasses on to glance at the display.  I've not had the pleasure of dinking around with a '7000 so cannot comment there.

One other consideration is what kind of peripherals you're planning to use with it.  For me, the one-touch ATAS120 HF antenna mated to the '857 has been a good arrangement for me.  It is simple to use, requires no special gizmos or add-on items to operate with the rig.  These, too, increase the use in the truck for me. I know that ICOM offers a couple of antenna tuners and I've used the AH-4 at home with a long wire and the '706 and it was a great success in a small yard.  I know that the same tuners work with the '7000s, I suspect.  Yaesu has similar tuners for the '857, too.

As for the DSP technology, whether you _need_ I/F DSP is a matter of what you're planning to do with the rig.  For DXing and chasing rare ones in your car, then perhaps it might be important.  Frankly, I installed the SSB filter in the '857 way back when I got the rig and it has been fine.  I run with it in at all times mainly because I can use it for SSB transmitting, too.  I have I/F DSP capabilities in the home rig but find that I do not miss them in the mobile rig.

Agree with W6RMK, though, that the rigs need to be able to breathe and stay away from closed places.  If you're planning to run for hours in the car (long trips), they need to be able to pass some air.  This applies to any of the portable/mobile rigs that you can stuff away in the back seat somewhere.

Lastly, don't forget about how you're going to mount your control head.  I have a 5-speed truck and I've mounted mine where I can just drop my hand onto the controls for the rig and easily and quickly get my hand back onto the stick as needed.  It has worked well.

Hope those considerations help a bit. 

Cheers,

David
HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:37:40 PM »

I would go with a Kenwood TS-480. A better radio.

73, Peter - HB9PJT
KO1D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:52:11 AM »

I agree the TS480 is the better rig....FOR HF and 6. For VHF/UHF the 480 does not provide coverage (hence why its a great rig...its not a DC to Daylight radio. THANKFULLY!) If you have space for one radio either of these will work very well. Each has its own peculiar aspects that may make the deal or cause you to run. Best thing you do is sit and use one, read the manual on line, and then make a decision.

Ask a hundred hams for their opinion and you will get a hundred answers.

FWIW I use the 480 mobile at times with a Tarheel Model 75. I use an FT 8900 for VHF/UHF. Both excellent radios for what they are designed to do.

73!

KO1D
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 07:57:06 AM »

I agree the TS480 is the better rig....FOR HF and 6. For VHF/UHF the 480 does not provide coverage

I do not understand why this is such a big issue. 99+% of 2m and 440 use in mobile is FM. I would much rather have a separate dual band rig for this that is independent of my HF rig than slaving it to this usage too at the expense of HF usage.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:06:47 AM »

Yeah, and rigs like the IC7000 aren't really set up well for repeater/echolink/irlp kind of ops where you need touchtones etc.

That said, it works just fine, and if you have limited dash space (and you don't want pictures of your car gracing hamsexy.com), it's a compromise.

(OTOH, I think it would be cool if someone would make a mobile oriented version of something like HRD that runs on an iPad that you can mount on the dash)
K1TWH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 02:08:04 PM »

__I'd go with the IC-7000 if noise elimination is a prime concern.  The DSP noise blanker and DSP noise reduction work very well.  I've used a Yaesu FT-857D since 2004 here, but did have an IC-7000 for a while when I had S9+20 line noise.   The IC-7000 dealt with that noise better than any rig I tried (while waiting 18 months for the Power Company to finish rebuilding a section of 760kV line).  Rigs I tried were; Kenwood TS-2000, TS-570SG, Icom IC-7000, Yaesu FT-857D, FT450.   All handled the noise fairly well, but the IC-7000 handled the noise without altering the sound of the voices of the hams I talked to.
__If you decide to go with the IC-7000, see the PA7FA fan mods, & consider the AB5N mic mod.   I found both to be worthwhile.   Best regards,  Tom Howey WB1FPA
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 02:17:59 PM »

Rigs I tried were; Kenwood TS-2000, TS-570SG, Icom IC-7000, Yaesu FT-857D, FT450.   All handled the noise fairly well, but the IC-7000 handled the noise without altering the sound of the voices of the hams I talked to.

I do not see a T480 on that list. Most of the rigs are pretty old and not recent except for 450 which is basically a entry level rig with limited features. I have a 480 and it is much more effective with noise than 570 and 2000 is pretty primitive as a DSP radio goes and not a top performer by any means today.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KA8OCN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 12:28:03 AM »

I owned a IC-7000 and it works great! But for me it had 2 problems with the reason I sold it and replaced it with the 857 Mobile and the Kenwood 480 for home.

The IC-7000 GETS HOT! Second its not user friendly at all, I would not want to try and change freq or power level when I was driving.

The FT-857 I had in my truck for 4 years, and my truck is a work truck and it got beat, the head was abused by life, and my Granddaughter. It still worked fine with I took it out. I replaced it with a IC-2820 (no HF) I wanted to play with D-Star and the one problem that the FT-857 has is a tiny screen!

If you are not looking for 2 meters or UHF you really should give the Kenwood 480 a look, thats a nice rig and it has a lot less menus to deal with.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:51:42 PM »

I owned a 857D for about a year and I really liked the Radio, it's not the best at anything but it does everything! I have a good friend who has a 7000 and I have used that also and IMO it is a better Rig overall but then again it costs about $350 more so that is expected.

What struck me the most in my comparison of the two Radios is the ergonomics of 857D for mobile use, it's just better.  The main reason is the contoured shape of the front and it's button layout; you can just feel your way around the front and find buttons without having to look down while on the 7000 you have to look at the Radio to do everything except the basics. Either radio is great and I think you will be happy with both of them but I would suggest you check out your mounting space and see which one will fit better because the 7000 is not a radio for tight spaces or easy driving use but it sure is a nice looking piece of gear with lots of features.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: