Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS 430S problem  (Read 1818 times)
N0CPT

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »

Hi All,
I have a problem with my Kenwood TS 430S. When I have the ALC/IC switch set to ALC and mode set to LSB or USB the ALC/IC meter does not work when I transmit. It works fine when receiving. The other problem is the radio will turn off and come right back on but to factory default settings. The microphone is an Astatic 878DM which has a gain control which I leave set to minimum or off. The radio is connected to a MFJ 941E tuner set in the bypass position. I have only radio connected to the tuner. The tuner is connected to a ground mounted Hustler 6 band vertical antenna with 25, 20 Ft. radials.   According to the SWR meter on the tuner the SWR is 2.1:1 or less and the power is 75 watts or less. Does anyone know what could be wrong with the radio? Thanks to everyone for your help.
Bill, N0CPT 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:39:43 PM »

Do not know about ALC reading other than maybe a bad/dirty switch if audio if fine on air. As far as factory settings, backup battery is dead.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:06:42 PM »

I had a similar off-to-default problem. Replacing the CR2032 memory cell seemed to cure the problem. GL
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 05:09:24 PM »

The ALC meter deflects when you have enough audio input (or RF drive) to cause the ALC
to start operating.  Generally you would turn up your mic gain while talking into the mic
until the ALC meter starts deflecting to some mark - just short of mid scale I think.  (I used
to have a TS-430 and currently use a TS-450, so I might get them confused.)

You won't see any ALC deflection if your PEP output is 75 watts or so unless your power level
is turned down to force the ALC to limit the output power.  If you turn your mic gain up all
the way you should see some deflection unless your mic output is still too low.

As a quick check, use the CARRIER control to set some output on CW and then turn your
POWER control to minimum:  if the output power drops then the ALC is working, and should
register on the meter.  Then, if it doesn't indicate on SSB, you probably don't have enough
input signal from the microphone or the mic gain is down too low (assuming that you can
see output power on the meter when you talk into the mic on SSB.)

[edited to add] With a rig that old it doesn't hurt to go in and wiggle the various internal
connectors and tighten the mounting screws on the boards to ensure a good ground
connection.  Sometimes they will build up some corrosion that causes a bad connection,
and plugging them in and out a couple times will help to clean it off.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:11:01 PM by WB6BYU » Logged
N0CPT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 05:43:51 PM »

Hi,

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I get excellent audio and RS reports form operaters that I talk to.

Again thanks,

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: