Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual-Receive VHF/UHF mobile rig??  (Read 5037 times)
KD2E

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:42:46 AM »

Can anyone suggest a dual receive (listen to downlink while transmitting) mobile rig that does not
have APRS, or D star....just basic..ie cheap!
Thanks!!

....Dave
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:20:14 AM »

Yaesu's FT-8800R, perhaps?

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:54:43 PM »

Can anyone suggest a dual receive (listen to downlink while transmitting) mobile rig that does not
have APRS, or D star....just basic..ie cheap!

In current production, there are a few mobile radios at varying prices that can work the FM satellites full-duplex.....

Kenwood TM-V71 (no TNC, but its faceplate can be hooked onto the radio) and TM-D710 (has TNC, but its faceplate is not capable of being hooked onto the radio); Icom IC-2820H (don't need to install the D-Star or GPS modules); Yaesu FT-8800R (2m/70cm) and FT-8900R (10m/6m/2m/70cm).  The Alinco DR-635 appears to be an option as well.  It is capable of being a cross-band repeater, and its manual mentions full-duplex operation. 

I currently use the IC-2820H as my main FM satellite radio.  Great sensitivity, and separate knobs for volume and tuning for each VFO.  It is near the top of the price list compared to the other radios, but it really works well for FM satellites.  I do not have the optional D-Star or GPS modules for this radio.  The Kenwood radios are also good, but you would have to switch VFOs every time you want to adjust your receive frequency - transmit on 2m VFO, then switch to 70cm VFO to adjust receive frequency, then switch back to 2m VFO before your next transmission.  The Kenwood radios only have one set of knobs, not knobs for each VFO like the IC-2820H.  I have not used the FT-8900R, but previously had an FT-8800R (basically the same as the FT-8900R, without 10m and 6m).  The FT-8800R is noticeably cheaper than the IC-2820H, but its receiver was not as sensitive as the Icom radio.  I have not used the Alinco DR-635, but had previously used a DR-605 that was capable of full-duplex satellite operation. 

If these are too expensive, it's off to the used market for one of these or an out-of-production mobile radio.  There are lots of options from all the manufacturers. 

73!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:59:47 PM by WD9EWK » Logged

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/
KB3ONA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 03:46:41 PM »

Pat,

Do you use your Elk antenna with the Icom? If so, do you connect the two legs from your diplexer to both SO-239 antenna jacks on the back? I'm thinking this is how you would do it and the rig would switch to the jack with the strongest receive signal, and in the case of the FM satellites it would be the downlink.

Gene (KB3ONA)
WD9EWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:39:53 PM »

Do you use your Elk antenna with the Icom? If so, do you connect the two legs from your diplexer to both SO-239 antenna jacks on the back?

I do not use my diplexer with the IC-2820H.  That's only used for my SSB setup with two radios.  One coax run from antenna to the primary antenna port on the IC-2820H is all I need.  Log periodics are perfect for radios that have a single antenna port.  The IC-2820H, like other 2m/70cm FM HTs or mobile radios with one antenna port that are capable of full-duplex satellite operation (or functioning as a cross-band repeater), has a diplexer in it.  There is no need to add an external diplexer or make use of the secondary antenna port.  

Since the IC-2820H has that secondary antenna port, one possibility is to have an antenna hooked up to it while using another antenna on the primary antenna port.  If you use a dual-band Yagi, you could put the 2m antenna on the primary port and the 70cm antenna on the secondary port, and not use a diplexer with that antenna.  I have never tried anything on my IC-2820H's secondary antenna port, but it could be an interesting experiment.  Especially for those who use the Arrow Antennas diplexer, which introduces some loss when you use it.  

73!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:39:16 PM by WD9EWK » Logged

Patrick WD9EWK/VA7EWK
http://www.wd9ewk.net/
W6AOA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:58:13 PM »

The Kenwood TM-731a has that capability. I havent tryed to work the sats yet with it tho...
KB3TKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 06:02:03 PM »

You could also try  the FT-7900 and save yourself a few $$$$.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 09:35:15 PM »

OP>> ... Can anyone suggest a dual receive (listen to downlink while transmitting) mobile rig ...

> ... You could also try  the FT-7900 ...

B-b-b-b-but that's a single VFO dual-bander ...

(grin)

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: