The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electronic Furnace Filter EMI - Heads up!  (Read 1266 times)
KO7I

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2016, 09:24:05 PM »

This Fall I had a local HVAC company out to service my furnace in preparation for winter. One of the first things the tech said is that I should switch to paper filters from the electronic filter.
I figured I'd give it a try.
I pulled the plug to the electronic filter and we called it good.
Later that evening I went up to my ham shack to check out the bands and I was shocked to see my normal S6 to S7 40M noise floor was now S2 - S3. I have been struggling with persistent QRN for years and I assumed it was from the large residential development surrounding my home. That darn electronic furnace filter was the cause of my interference. I went down to my garage and chopped the cord off flush with a case of the electronic filter.
Good Bye QRN!
73, Don KO7i
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 12:55:17 AM »

It's an electrostatic filter.

Another example that you should start by checking your home. I helped an older amateur that lives near me, by walking around with an AM radio tuned to a quiet spot between stations. Turned out to be arcing on a pole. He called, and they rectified it.

It's easier if you pinpoint the source, than try to have them DF it.
KO7I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 04:11:12 AM »

Yes indeed.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 07:12:37 AM »

Check your home first, by doing a Power off test...  I helped a ham who had assumed he had RFI for the past 10 years, (yes, 10 years), from a power pole...  We did the power off test, and it ended...  Was a touch lamp...  Boy was he surprised...  His 80 meter RFI went from 20 over S9, to S5.  10 years lost due to an assumption...  Heavy price to pay.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N8CBX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 05:43:22 AM »

Do a survey of home appliances too. I had +20db/S9 QRM every 15kc on all the HF bands, but strongest on 80M. I homebrewed a hand held 80M receiver (with directional finder antennas) and discovered it was our Maytag clothes washer.
Jan N8CBX

Dayton Ohio - The Birthplace of Aviation
KO7I

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 06:27:16 PM »

The most embarrassing part of this whole matter is that I am a professional EMC Engineer who got lazy and did not check my own house. My bad.
I do have a SDRPlay RSP and it makes a great spec an for troubleshooting RFI issues. I also fab'd a RF Sniffer Probe.
Venders give my lab samples of their filters and we do their marketing for them in exchange. When filters become obsolete, they purge the old stock which I retain for assisting local hams with EMC issues.
I did install one of those filters into a friends Maytag washing machine to solve an EMC problem he was having.
Like I said, I'm a pretty embarrassed about not catching the furnace filter interference issue until now.
73, Don KO7i

KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 10:15:37 AM »

D,

I think the answer to your furnace problem would be "cobler's children syndrome".

KLC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: