The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 5008 Ultrasonic Receiver  (Read 4138 times)
K6UJ

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2016, 08:46:50 PM »

The June QST has a review of the MFJ 5008 ultrasonic receiver.  I am thinking about getting one for locating
sources of power line noise.  Anyone have one?  What do you think of this unit ?

Bob
K6UJ
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 10:10:32 AM »

Hi Bob. I have one on order from DX Eng. It's "out of stock", so they may be waiting on the first shipment? There are not even any reviews on 'youtube' yet.
I've battled power line noise at every place I've ever owned. I've had good luck with my Icom R10 receiver and various WA5VJB 'cheap yagis'.
Luckily, our RFI investigator in this area is a ham and has a truck load of equipment and he knows how to use it. Unfortunately, he's not local, but he's good and has been killing the noise sources one by one.

ron
N4UE
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 05:19:34 PM »

I have a professional Ultrasonic receiver, I rarely found it useful

A good receiver with a tuned magnetic loop when combined with a AM HT and yagi will find 99.99 % of interference.

Home made H field probes are very useful for pin pointing the source of RFI once the source has been located in the home

I live in a remote area and have found an electric bicycle really good for prowling around at night trying to locate RFI easily.

I can cover large areas faster than i can on foot. I can sweep past poles in minutes  trying to pinpoint noises.

The real big issue these days are LED lights both garden and floodlight. The other sources of noise are solar inverters and the tuned magnetic loops do the best job tracking these down.

But any tool in your RFI warfare kit will be useful. I will pick up the MFJ unit for the club and give it a try.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »

I have a professional Ultrasonic receiver, I rarely found it useful

A good receiver with a tuned magnetic loop when combined with a AM HT and yagi will find 99.99 % of interference.

Home made H field probes are very useful for pin pointing the source of RFI once the source has been located in the home

I live in a remote area and have found an electric bicycle really good for prowling around at night trying to locate RFI easily.

I can cover large areas faster than i can on foot. I can sweep past poles in minutes  trying to pinpoint noises.

The real big issue these days are LED lights both garden and floodlight. The other sources of noise are solar inverters and the tuned magnetic loops do the best job tracking these down.

But any tool in your RFI warfare kit will be useful. I will pick up the MFJ unit for the club and give it a try.
Zinki,
Save your bucks, I have a ultrasonic device, (and it works great for what it is designed for), and have used it once in two years...  Use the same bucks to get a good AM radio and loop...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 09:21:18 AM »

I built an ultrasonic sniffer out of PE in junior high school.  I pull it out periodically to chase things like auto vacuum leaks.  I bet if I stuck it in the back of a clamp lamp's reflector it would do the job, but thankfully, I don't have any HV sizzle from the area feeder in the back corner of my lot.
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 10:34:07 AM »

I have fought power line noise at every home I've owned through the years. Currently, I'm in a low population, small town. Unfortunately, it's also an older area. I've had some pretty bad noise issues here (try S-9+ on 50 MHz).
Lucky for me, my power company has an EXCELLENT RFI Investigator, who is also a fellow ham. After getting all my noise issues fixed, I discussed the MFJ 5008 with him. He talked me out of buying one, so I took his advice. It was to be shipped next week, so....great timing.
Yes, I use an Icom R10 receiver with WA5VJB cheap yagis for several bands, to 'help' him find the offending poles... ha ha

ron
N4UE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: