Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chinese HT best buy?  (Read 20690 times)
KJ6TJX

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »

It seems the Wouxun is the best seller based on reviews and general (local) chatter.  However, it also appears to be the most expensive Chinese competitor to the big 3.  How do the others stack up?  Some of these are single band, some 2 band.  Just looking purely at least cost and best durability how does one choose?  At an entry price point, features don't count IMHO.  I don't expect features similar to my FT-60, but I would like to know it will turn on and transmit when called on.

It looks like the four popular Chinese names on fleabay are:
Wouxun - about $80 delivered
Puxing - about $68 delivered
Baofeng - about $53 delivered
FeiDaxin - about $68 delivered

One of the FeiDaxin reviews was by a Guardsman and reportedly very durable.  Unfortunately most will not have any experience with more than one brand, and 4 out of 5 people typically like the "value" of the unit they purchased as reported under the review area.  Is there any comparison knowledge to add?

Thanks,
Jon - KJ6TJX
KD8HYN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »

I am quite happy with the performance of my Baofeng uv-3r and uv-3r mark ii.

Get the mark ii if you do go for one of those, menus are much easier to get through.

I was able to listen to a NOAA satellite tick-tocking on my uv-3r from inside my house with the stock VHF antenna.

On some Fridays when my YL and I get off work at the same time we use the Baofengs to chat while driving. Short range yes, but through the cars with the rubber duck, sometimes we get split up and are a half mile or so separated we are still both full quieting loud and clear.

It'll key up the local repeater while I'm in town, but I have to break out the big(ger) boy to hit it from outside the area.

Haven't used anything else admittedly, if I recall, wouxun uses a proprietary antenna connector, reverse Sma or something, Baofeng is standard Sma (I believe), something to consider if you plan on getting a better antenna.

I got my mark ii with a speaker mic (it's alright, nothing to write home about) for $56.80. Subtract $11 if you've no interest in the speaker mic, it does come with a kind of cellular style earbud speaker mic thing. www.409shop.com ... Good folks, reasonable speed delivery from Hong Kong, registered mail (HK has beautiful stamps too) no charge for shipping. They sell other brands too. Let us know what you get, I might try one from another brand too.

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 12:03:53 AM »

For 45 bucks delivered to your door, You cant go wrong!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BAOFENG-UV-3R-Mark-II-136-174-400-470Mhz-Dual-Band-radio-single-antenna-/110818921396?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cd528bb4

Plus they use the very common NP60 camera battery, Also available on Ebay for less than 5 bucks each, Including shipping!

MUCH easier to program than the Wouxon.
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:13:49 AM »

I have a Quansheng tg-uv dual band. Ebay special around $80 last time I looked. It's been a great radio. One piece of advice, no matter what radio you choose be sure to get the programming cable and software, it makes getting them programmed 300 times easier.

Dave
KB7ZGB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 04:49:44 AM »

I recommend the Wouxun because:

- It's available from well known, reputable U.S. radio shops that will support the warranty in the U.S.
- Their radios are built for the commercial market.  They're surprisingly durable with consistent build quality.
- They make a full line of decent, inexpensive, easy to find accessories.  Real factory stuff, not Hong Kong aftermarket.
- They appear to have the best support online, and also from U.S. shops and the manufacturer.

I've played with the Baofeng UV-3R Mark II and a couple TYT and Puxing radios.  The Baofeng was definitely cool but felt like a toy.

I based my purchase decision on the four points above and ended up with a Wouxun KG-UV3D.  I've run it hard for six months including mountain camping and bicycle rides... very satisfied, it's a great HT.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 03:19:00 PM »

The Wouxun is a 5 watt/4watt radio with dual frequency, and many bells a whistles. It is hard to hand program, but super easy using the available software and programing cable. It has a US distributor with many inexpensive accessories. I have the Wouxun KG-UV2D. I have had it a few years now with no problems. I use it mobile with the auto adapter, hand mike/speaker and an antenna adapter. Some of the members of the Ham club I belong to have the other mentioned HTs and seem to like them. I can only vouch for the Wouxun. All these radios are so inexpensive they are almost disposable. I like the higher power of the Wouxun and its many additional features. I would recommend checking the eHam forum before buying any radio. It gives you some idea of how the radio performs, and how reliable it is.

73s

K2OWK
KD8HYN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »

Hmmmmm. Sounds like I need one of them Wouxuns too then.

KB8WPD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 04:31:43 PM »

I have two KG-UVD1Ps, one in 2m/70cm and one in 2m/1.25m and I love them both.  Great radios for a fantastic price.  I am interested in that $50 Baofeng.  I would love to have a mini ht.
G1WEX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 11:14:22 AM »

One not listed is the TYT-UVF1. Wonder if this radio is available in the states? However if it is may I suggest you stay clear! I tried two of these radios, brand new from a rep dealer and both had RX faults.

My Yaesu works fine though and is made in China. Wink

Bob.
VK3CVF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 03:24:04 AM »

Anybody can tell me the difference between the UV-3R MKII and the UV-3R Plus ??. See both advertised and cannot see what the difference is in the radios. Just a newer model ??.

Thanks
John   VK3CVF
KD8HYN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »

Anybody can tell me the difference between the UV-3R MKII and the UV-3R Plus ??

The Plus has a bit of a nicer form factor, and terminals in the back for use with a desktop charger. It seems to be "this year's model" of the Mark II. I have a Mark II and am happy with it... though it would be nice to have that drop in charger.

it's got a fancy new battery too, no more knock off nokia generic business it looks like
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:37:08 PM by KD8HYN » Logged

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 09:40:03 PM »

Anybody can tell me the difference between the UV-3R MKII and the UV-3R Plus ??

The Plus has a bit of a nicer form factor, and terminals in the back for use with a desktop charger. It seems to be "this year's model" of the Mark II. I have a Mark II and am happy with it... though it would be nice to have that drop in charger.

it's got a fancy new battery too, no more knock off nokia generic business it looks like

So you are saying the "Plus" model has a DIFFERENT Battery than the MKII? (the very common NP60 type battery) 
I just looked at my Baofeng and do not see how rear terminals could be added for a drop in charger, Using the NP 60 type battery........

One of the main reasons I bought the Baofeng was because it uses the very common (And LOW cost NP 60 type battery, Same as the Yaesu VX3 uses.......

IF the MK II Baofeng uses a different type battery, Then I will avoid that one!
Thanks for posting this info!
KD8HYN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 09:43:41 PM »

The mark ii definately still uses that np60. It's the plus that has a different type, some kind of (probably proprietary) battery and back in one pack

DAVER

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 09:07:13 PM »

I recommend the wouxuns (though I don't have experience with the others!). I've never had a problem with it and the audio is great. Accessories are dirt cheap also... Can buy a new radio for less than some of the big 3 batteries!

Also, there's a new Beofeng or whatever radio out. Might be worth waiting for reviews on that.

Dave KD2AKC
AK4MQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »

I love my Wouxun! I bought mine, a KG-UV2D 144 and 420-520 model, at a hamfest a few months ago, along with a bigger antenna (the Diamond SRJ77CA). Later on I picked up a speaker mic and programming cable. All told I've spent about $160 on the radio and accessories. I carry mine with me everywhere on campus in the side pocket of my backpack. The speaker mic is great for that. The 'flashlight' that's built into the top of the radio has been helpful too.

The audio's good, but not great (then again I've heard Motorolas, so I'm a bit spoiled). The Wouxuns are IP54-rated, so you can use them in the rain with no worries, which is great. You can program these by hand and it's not as problematic as people make it out to be, but the interface is somewhat cumbersome; if you want to program more than a handful of channels I'd strongly recommend the programming cable, which you can get with either a USB or DE-9 connector on the computer end.

I was surprised to discover that the radio supports reverse burst (or squelch tail eliminator, or whatever you want to call it) on PL/CTCSS on both transmit and receive, which is really rare in an amateur transceiver and a nice feature to have. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Motorola stuff, since it all uses a nonstandard reverse burst scheme.

The only bad things I can say about the radio, really, are that they're not true dual receive, only dual watch; the casing isn't as tough as it could be; and the battery could be more firmly attached to the radio.

Overall, they're a very good radio for the price, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: