Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 146.52MHz while mobile?  (Read 7308 times)
KD8HYN

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2012, 05:11:18 PM »

As a relatively "young ham", and one who doesn't have a whole lot of foldin' money to spend on the hobby, most of my on-the-air time is while mobile. I have a couple HT's, and I actually just bought a mobile 2m rig from another member here and am excited to get that set up. I haven't ever actually heard anybody on 70cm.

While driving I always monitor 146.52, or at least keep it in scan rotation with the local repeaters. I call CQ every now and then, and have gotten a couple contacts that way. I always call out to other ham's when I see someone with Amateur Radio plates, but have yet to get any response that way.

While I realize ham isn't like CB, it'd be a lot of fun to make close contacts that way.

Does anyone else do this or am I just crazy?

I am working on getting a website together to promote this practice, I'm not going to spam that here (especially considering it's not built yet), but maybe some word can get out and it might make for a fun way younger hams with limited equipment could make more contacts while out and about.

Speaking of which, does anyone else have anything like this on their "mobile shack"?
http://tinyurl.com/6p2wxrw

AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 05:19:13 PM »

When travelling the interstate highways, I have had an occasional contact on 146.520.  Since typical simplex range is 10-15 miles, the key to making it happen is to ID or call CQ every 5 miles or so.  When travelling some people monitor 52, but few transmit.  IMO just listening will not yield many contacts on 52.

Dick  AD4U
KD8HYN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 06:04:06 PM »

Hopefully I'll be able to get out a bit more on my proper mobile rig, as opposed to my 7 watt HT. A hard mounted antenna will help too I imagine. I am hopeful that the more I call the more people around me or the more people I manage to contact will call, it'd be nice to just find more chatter on simplex.

KB8WPD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »

where did you get the 146.52 sticker?  I want one!
KD8HYN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:49:46 PM »

Grin I actually had a bunch of them made with the intent to distribute! If you would be so kind as to send me a SASE I will happily send you one. If you would be so kind as to email me a photo of where you've stuck it that would be awesome. KD8HYN@gmail.com for address (or look it up in the FCC database). That goes for anyone else too. (While supply lasts!)

N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 03:04:26 AM »

There is a guy on ebay selling window decals. One of them is "monitoring 146.52" or make your own.
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 05:25:07 AM »

While on a trip to KS from TN a few years ago, I made contact with a ham in Paducah KY while I was mobile in Clarksville TN. We chatted, along with some others, all the way to Marion, IL. I was 50W out, he had a 13 element beam.

I also talked to N4AOW near Cleveland TN all the way to Atlanta while mobile. (NOTE: You need to check out his station.. located in a FIRE TOWER on a MOUNTAIN!)
KD8RFT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »

OP,

I am in the same boat as you. My ham radio time is in my truck back and forth on the way to daycare and work. I am relatively new ham in the area and I don't know people on the repeaters, not a member of local clubs yet, so I call CQ on 146.52. I get about 2 or 3 qso's a week this way. It is rare to hear it in use, but it is great when someone answers you.

Also playing with APRS
KD8HYN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »

OP,

I am in the same boat as you. My ham radio time is in my truck back and forth on the way to daycare and work. I am relatively new ham in the area and I don't know people on the repeaters, not a member of local clubs yet, so I call CQ on 146.52. I get about 2 or 3 qso's a week this way. It is rare to hear it in use, but it is great when someone answers you.

Also playing with APRS

I don't know if you feel the same way, but I feel a bit intimidated on the repeaters, some of the folks are real nice but it's clear that some are only interested in chatting with their buddies. Maybe it'll be different being a member of a club.

It is a lot of fun to get a call back from a CQ, I have been trying to call more myself and keep the radio on during my commute. Maybe we will hear each other some time on a particularly good propagation day. Let me know or drop me a SASE if you'd like one of those 146.52 stickers.

PS, what kind of a setup do you have going with the ARPS? I still haven't quite figured out how all that works.

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 11:11:43 AM »

As a relatively "young ham", and one who doesn't have a whole lot of foldin' money to spend on the hobby, most of my on-the-air time is while mobile. I have a couple HT's, and I actually just bought a mobile 2m rig from another member here and am excited to get that set up. I haven't ever actually heard anybody on 70cm.

While driving I always monitor 146.52, or at least keep it in scan rotation with the local repeaters. I call CQ every now and then, and have gotten a couple contacts that way. I always call out to other ham's when I see someone with Amateur Radio plates, but have yet to get any response that way.

While I realize ham isn't like CB, it'd be a lot of fun to make close contacts that way.

I am working on getting a website together to promote this practice, I'm not going to spam that here (especially considering it's not built yet), but maybe some word can get out and it might make for a fun way younger hams with limited equipment could make more contacts while out and about.

Speaking of which, does anyone else have anything like this on their "mobile shack"?
   For some reason, activity on 146.52 has been picking up a great deal lately, at least in the New York City suburbs and Southern Connecticut areas.  I have heard quite a few hams using 146.52 from their mobiles on and around Interstate I-95.
KD8HYN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 07:51:19 AM »

KK4CRY, I couldn't reply to your PM for some reason, will you please email me? KD8HYN@gmail.com

KD2E

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »

A few years ago, I drove home from Dayton Hamfest....Ohio to New Jersey.
Listened to .52 all the way home, and the squelch never broke.
Many years ago...when 2 meter FM was hot...late '70s...I could find a
contact on .52 most anytime...with my TR22 or Clegg HT146 and a 1/4 wave whip!!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »

I used to control op a few repeaters in late 80's and thru 90's and 2m took a dive when 440 was hot and 440 died with cell phones. 2m has made a slight come back.  I also used to us 52 when crossing Nebraska and SD traveling out west in 90's and had good results and surprisingly in SD more so. I used a full sized collinear and it was not unusual to work 50 mile radius or more with a good base station. One time I talked to a guy for nearly 2 hours on simplex crossing SD.   

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N2MVV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 09:56:36 PM »

I am writing about my experience with working 146.520 on a recent trip from NY to FL via I 95.

After reading about working simplex, I had one side of my Yaesu FT-8800R locked in on 146.520 at 50 watts. The other side had all the repeaters programmed from NY to FL along my route.

You really have to be active to try and work a mobile or base by calling out every 5 mins or so. I had some nice QSO's with mobiles, bases and a portable in DE, MD and NC.

Some states were active on repeaters more and had no simplex activity.

This was the first time that I got to operate simplex and I enjoyed it very much. It definitely made my long drive that much easier.

There are hams out there that monitor simplex and want to have a QSO.

I say keep it going!

Eric (N2MVV)
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 08:31:54 AM »

For some reason, activity on 146.52 has been picking up a great deal lately, at least in the New York City suburbs and Southern Connecticut areas.  I have heard quite a few hams using 146.52 from their mobiles on and around Interstate I-95.

Being that you hide behind your current "ONAIR" name I've been wondering where you reside. What is your call sign anyway? Curious!

I was gonna mention the same about the Tri-State area. Only problem is today poor operating practice and procedures have been taught to new comers and performed by even veteran operators.

Due too this it's sometimes impossible to use 146.520 as a calling frequency as it was designated for. If your lucky enough to "CALL CQ" as a mobile station it may not last long in the New York City area. A NY, NJ or CT station not hearing you can start a QSO right on top of you instead of making an initial contact and moving 15-20KHz up/down. Don't get me wrong! I have been successful in calling CQ on 146.520 but sometimes didn't last long.

If you wanna be successful on 146.520 then you gotta run a good 50-100 watt ,or more mobile and good high gain vertical. If your running 144.200 with a loop antenna you can deffinitely get more coverage distance wise for sure.

As for 70cm that is a real difficult band to run mobile simplex. You'll almost never probably hear anybody but the occasional couple guys that just wanna quick private QSO. So it's not just you. Repeaters can be intimidating today because it seems a lot have become very cliquish. I don't approve but it's the mentality today. So I do agree that calling CQ on 146.520 or even 144.200 is a blast.

For one you either can plan by watching for Inducting and the rare "E-Scatter" openings, or at random being there at the right place and right time wined up with a QSO up to 1000+ miles away with someone in Canada or in the Carolinas. Is it possible? It absolutely is because I've done it.

One of the other things I enjoy about simplex ,or SSB 2meters is you can express yourself long winded if you like with out a "time out" like with repeaters. It's freedom!

So CQ away....I always encourage and have fun.

73!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:40:36 AM by N2RRA » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: