About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: idea...  (Read 436 times)
KDUV7462

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2006, 03:28:14 PM »

I got a response in code, and while i was decoding letters that g4fon hadnt used yet, a thought occurred to me.

In the space of a minute or so, i learned e and n while decoding the messsage.

writing a response back in code, its kinda a rush to have to use less and less alphanumeric characters to spell out my sentences.

My basic idea was this: a small CW section expressly for people to post messages in code back and forth. Obviously, the less alphanumberic characters you are using when you post, the better you are doing. I realize this doesnt help auditory-learning-wise, only visually, but it seemed like it would be a good thing. I was surprised how may letters i was able to rattle off even though i suddenly realized i had never sent a message before, up till now it was all learning in my head.

Unless it sucks up precious bandwidth? I have an idea for that too, as it were. If we were all to largely eliminate the unecessary childish posts here, that do nothing to attract new people to the hobby, the generated bandwidth would allow for this, perhaps. Just a thought.

it might get used very little, or conversely, might get a lot of short tiny posts of new people studying for code tests. It just struck me as odd that i picked up 2 new code letters I cant seem to forget decoding a short sentence or two.

I dont know about finding a live human to practice sending and receiving code with here in my small town; this semed like the next best thing.
THERAGE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 04:22:29 PM »

==I got a response in code, and while i was decoding letters that g4fon hadnt used yet, a thought occurred to me.

In the space of a minute or so, i learned e and n while decoding the messsage.

writing a response back in code, its kinda a rush to have to use less and less alphanumeric characters to spell out my sentences.==

I'm glad I was able to help. Keep working with it. It's only 5 wpm but, soon they'll just be handing out HF tickets (sigh) and there will be plenty of qrm and cb jargon on 75 & 40.

30 & 17 are decent.

FB
73 ... -.-
KDUV7462

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 08:35:59 PM »

"they might soon be dropping it" is all the MORE reason to get it now.

My reasoning? sometimes when they drop requirements, those that already met the higher standard get promotions. To me that sounds like a free liscense.

don't worry. I dont even use 10 codes and cb jargon when i am on 11m. I want a clean signal even when i get to run high power. I do not intend to splater adjacent channels and produce spurious/harmonics/TVI and such. I have access to a couple of guys that built their own equipment that i can drag over and check stuff out and give me pointers and such.

I'm not a "buy and talk" kind of guy. But i want to do this while K3LTY is still alive and in reasonable good health. I also have more time to study this in the winters.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: