The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW -- it's gotta be part of your shack!!  (Read 60944 times)
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: May 13, 2015, 02:50:24 AM »

Meh. I don't know what your licence says, but the terms of mine say (right up top, in paragraph 1.(1)) that it is "for the purpose of self-training in radio communications, including conducting technical investigations; and as a leisure activity and not for commercial purposes of any kind." The tests (even the Advanced one) are only intended to be starting points and stepping stones. If you get your licence, sit down, stop bothering to learn anything more, and go nowhere with it, then you've lost a good part of the amateur spirit.

The Morse test was dropped because the ITU decided (at WRC 2003) that it was no longer required. The increasing use of satellites for ship-to-ship and ship-to-shore communication and the rise of digital modes had a lot to do with that. It was a decision recognising that things change, that Morse was no longer an essential skill, and that continuing to require it was unnecesarily encumbering other avenues of development.

That folk continue to learn and use Morse is an indication that it's still useful even though it isn't considered absolutely essential any more. How about encouraging them...
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2015, 03:56:18 AM »

I was watching NCIS on the tube last night and it was about ISIS type group recruiters using CW hidden in the bass notes of the latest techno music over the internet Mp-3s/Game Boy devices to recruit /train/give operational orders to young American kids. Weather this has actually been done or not I don't believe it's to far fetched. I can visualize this being taken one step further with the use of digitized semaphore flag signals encrypted in computer screen pictures/images. Obviously these young kids would have to learn Morse code/semaphore from some source (probably the internet) and these terrorist groups are taking advantage of forgotten communication modes that modern cyber warfare has overlooked.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:16:42 AM by W1JKA » Logged
KC8FQD

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2015, 06:22:58 AM »

Meh. I don't know what your licence says, but the terms of mine say (right up top, in paragraph 1.(1)) that it is "for the purpose of self-training in radio communications, including conducting technical investigations; and as a leisure activity and not for commercial purposes of any kind." The tests (even the Advanced one) are only intended to be starting points and stepping stones. If you get your licence, sit down, stop bothering to learn anything more, and go nowhere with it, then you've lost a good part of the amateur spirit.

The Morse test was dropped because the ITU decided (at WRC 2003) that it was no longer required. The increasing use of satellites for ship-to-ship and ship-to-shore communication and the rise of digital modes had a lot to do with that. It was a decision recognising that things change, that Morse was no longer an essential skill, and that continuing to require it was unnecesarily encumbering other avenues of development.

That folk continue to learn and use Morse is an indication that it's still useful even though it isn't considered absolutely essential any more. How about encouraging them...

Thank you for this post. I really enjoyed it.

My own license doesn't say anything quite so wise, but I certainly appreciate and agree with the sentiment.

There are a ton of nice, smart, interesting new folks getting into the hobby every day. And there's also a lot of interest in Morse code, both from newcomers and from those who are just now getting around to exploring CW.

I'm happy to do my part to encourage them, and I'm sure I'm not alone.  Smiley
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2015, 08:20:59 AM »

JKA...did you see this?
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,100837.0.html

I for one wouldn't be interested in Ham as much if it wasn't for the CW aspect of it.
I've had fun the last couple months doing QRP on 40m, and I'm really looking forward to hooking up my new-to-me Icom 718. I'll be coming home from Dayton with a power supply for it.....talk about a kid at Christmas time... Grin
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »

6CV:  I enjoyed your perception of what is going on in this country as well as ham radio.  Very well stated and I agree 100%! 

This is the process in education, from grade 1 and especially college and university educations.

One of the worst things to happen to our education system is the introduction of calculators and computers before the 10th grade.

Let the flames begin!   Shocked
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2015, 09:37:59 AM »

6CV:  I enjoyed your perception of what is going on in this country as well as ham radio.  Very well stated and I agree 100%! 

This is the process in education, from grade 1 and especially college and university educations.

One of the worst things to happen to our education system is the introduction of calculators and computers before the 10th grade.

Let the flames begin!   Shocked
People are as smart or as dumb as they want to be. It has always been that way, but it is easier to elect the the latter, especially now.

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: May 13, 2015, 09:50:17 AM »

2EU: You're correct but I think stupidity is taught today!
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: May 13, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »

Talk about feeling dumb....I actually posted something to do with CW and I see this thread now has nothing to do with it.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: May 19, 2015, 05:45:06 AM »

After reading this thread I guess I must be a real turd roller. I am a 30 year no code extra that never did any better than 5 words a minute. I operate HF voice and digital, built a satellite station using a motorized telescope mount to operate Digital, FM and SSB satellites, have an ARPS station, built more antennas than I remember and am collecting parts for a 10 GHz station. I also have a degree in Electrical Engineering. Because I do not operate CW that often and very slowly I guess according to some I am not a real ham.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: May 19, 2015, 06:41:34 AM »

Don't feel that way. 
I always had difficulty with Code. Although I had an active interest in radio since I was about 14 I had 100 reasons why learning code was silly. Finally at 30 years old I realized if I wanted to be a ham then I had to learn code. And so I knuckled down and went at it. About 10 weeks later I wrote and passed my test (12WPM here.) Worked a lot of CW that year and wrote and passed my Advanced a year later at 15WPM. I am not real good at code but do use it and especially enjoy the Bruce Kelly event and some of the straight key nights. When I am in the shack working on a project I often put the set on a CW station just to listen because I know that helps. Some folks are real good at it and I envy them but getting to a functional level is simply for any of us a matter of deciding to and doing it. period. You got through U by the same method so we already know you can do it. Two months from now you will be proficient.
don
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: May 19, 2015, 08:16:12 AM »

GWK:  You shouldn't be so overly sensitive!  You're interests, your accomplishments in areas that most hams never venture into, and your educational background sets you apart from most hams.

I can't recall anyone saying "if you don't know the code or use CW you're not really a ham." If any does say this, then they have delusions of grandeur, like to inflate their own accomplishments and/or ego.

By the same token, you can say the same.  If you don't use V/UHF, SHF, ATV, EME and the other modes and methods available to most hams, they're not hams!  This whole subject is in reality a pasture field and we should watch where we walk!

I think the predominant statement being made on this thread is that a ham is missing a great deal of fun, expanding one's ability to make more contacts .....all over the world, and the ability to enjoy ham radio with very simple and inexpensive gear. CW is a FUN mode; nothing more.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:20:10 AM by K8AXW » Logged
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: May 19, 2015, 07:36:16 PM »

Pointless argument. And name calling accomplishes zip. Those who use CW, enjoy it. Those who don't also do your thing. If you want to make CW popular come up with an app to use it instead of texting for the smart phones. Inside 6 months most will know and use it. Little jewelled keys will be   the norm and special mini bugs will be for the high end market. It was and still is a very convenient easy form of communication. I count it among the languages I speak. However I would not speak in a derogatory tone to those who are from the no code camp. It reminds me of the SSB AM conflict. Why can't each just go to their corner and do their own thing? The conflicts help no one.
don
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: May 20, 2015, 01:51:51 AM »

If you want to make CW popular come up with an app to use it instead of texting for the smart phones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KhZKNZO8mQ
 Grin
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: