Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper logging question  (Read 1687 times)
N8TI

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:03:13 PM »

Hello. I am trying to get an old fashion operating position up and running where I will be using a straight key and keep a paper log. I'll try to do away with the auto antenna tuners and will stick to the traditional ham bands, preWARC.
Given that I don't want to use a computer, is there a way with paper logs you can quickly tell if you worked a guy before?  Index cards or something organized by suffix seems one way. What did they do before computers?

Joe
K0TF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »

What did they do before computers?
Joe
Dupe sheets, used in contesting about quarter century ago. EZ and simple, but require extra paperwork.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:35:32 AM »

8TI:  This has always been a pain in the behind for me too.  I've piled up 55 years of logbooks and have long since stopped trying to figure out how to solve the problem you ask about.  Without a computer, the only thing you can do is use multiple Rolodex devices or dupe sheets as suggested.  Whatever it is, it's simply going to be extra paper work. 

I can't imagine my 55 years of logbooks plus the extra paper work involved to keep track of previous contacts.

This is presently driving me nuts because many of the people I work (DX) come back to my call with my name and location and it confuses me because I don't know if they've worked me before or have looked me up on the computer.  In most cases it's the later.  At my age I'm not fast enough physically or mentally to do the same even though my computer is next to the rig.

My suggestion is to supplement your "old" station with a laptop that you can pull out and use when operating.  "Old" is fun and often interesting but you simply can't beat progress.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:03:27 AM »

The classic methods are:

- Dupe sheets for contests
- Index cards for general operating (arranged in numeric/alphabetic order by callsign)
- QSL cards all over the walls

What sort of rig(s) will you be using? What sort of table/desk?

btw, hams were using keys other than straight keys long before the modern solid-state era. First there were bugs and sideswipers, then tube- and relay-type electronic keyers. As far back as the late 1940s there were hams using keyers and paddles, and by the 1950s there were commercially-manufactured versions.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KB3TXH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:38:26 AM »

Joe; I asked myself the same questions about one year ago. The best "paper" solution I could think of, was using a big Rolodex. I priced them at about $35, looked them over at Office Depot, and decided that the tabbed cards that came with it were really kind of small for me to enter contact data on, and all those call sign tabs sticking up were going to be hard to read.

I suspect that you would reach the same conclusion yourself.

Now, I just work the signals that are strong enough, and at my speed, and don't worry about whether they are new contacts, or old friends.
Then I put the info in my paper log.

That approach might work for you.

PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:03:51 AM »

Hahaha

Nice.

I have the same "problem" Just no computer on the desk, I have one though, otherwise I couldn't type this msg.

I just tell my name: Bob a report and QTH nr Amsterdam, and when I answer a CQ and they say Hi Bob, I say sorry forgot your name and QTH pse rpt but I remember in our last QSO I said "hpe cuagn es cul" and so here I am. Hahaha.

And I tell them that I am still working with the 813 in the final, with a wire dipole, so that the lifetime of homebrew equipment is far over that Japanese purchased black colored equipment with all those tiny knobs, and I tell them they better use their time spending on building their own designs then working me twice, when they are collectioners of QSL cards or awards, with the idea that awards are so sincerely desired because they quit school early.
N8TI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »

Well, good comments from everyone. I want to run my Johnson Ranger and a R390. Just want to feel the heat from tube rigs. Have some other boat anchors and an FT 101 too.

I think it is nice to use an analog dial and hear an antenna relay.

Joe

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: