Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HRD & FT-900 Slow Control  (Read 5281 times)
AB4TI

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:04:05 AM »

I'm using HRD with a FT-900 thru a USB interface and the everything is painfully slow. A single digit frequency change takes 5 seconds.
Anyone know what might be wrong? Here are my settings:

HRD:
CTS Off
DTR On
RTS On

Port:
4800 only speed it will connect at
FIFO Buffer Off
8 Data Bits
No Parity
1 Stop Bit
Flow Ctl. None

Any help much appreciated.
Dan AB4TI
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:22:26 PM »

Whoat kind of USB interface cable do you have? If it uses the Prolific chipset that could be the problem there is a lot of info on these all over the internet some are counterfit chips and cause lots of problems in windows. I would use the FDTI chipset as it works very well with HRD and Windows7.

Roland AH6RR
AB4TI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 06:56:19 AM »

I purchased the cable from Affordable Radio in Niagara Falls, NY on ebay but have no idea what chipset they use in their cables. It was suppose to be for that series Yaesu radio's.  I'll see if I can find a cable with the FDTI chipset and see how that works out.
Thanks for the help Roland.
Dan AB4TI
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:34:38 AM »

I purchased the cable from Affordable Radio in Niagara Falls, NY on ebay but have no idea what chipset they use in their cables. It was suppose to be for that series Yaesu radio's.  I'll see if I can find a cable with the FDTI chipset and see how that works out.
Thanks for the help Roland.
Dan AB4TI

Aloha Dan,
 To find what chips it is using goto the control panel and select Device Manager then the Ports (COM & LPT) that should tell you. I use a interface cable made by G4ZLP and have been using it for 5 years now with out a problem at all and his prices are very good. Here is the link:
http://www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/YaesuCAT.shtml
Good Luck
Roland AH6RR
AB4TI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:15:02 AM »

Roland,
Thanks again. Looks like mine is a Prolific chipset and the driver is V2.0.2.1 dated 7-25-2005. That is a bit old for a driver isn't it?
I'll try one of the g4zlp interfaces and see how that works. It will probably take some time to receive it from the UK but when it arrives I'll post the results.
73 Roland de Dan AB4TI
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 08:47:03 AM »

You will be surprised on how fast it will get to you it took less than 2 weeks for me to receive mine. I forgot to ask what version of windows are you running? There are updated versions of the prolific drivers that work ok (somewhat) with HRD as long as the chipset is not a knock-off. But you will be much happier with the G4ZLP CAT interface cable.

Roland AH6RR
AB4TI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:29:10 AM »

Roland,
I'm running XP here, should have mentioned that in the first post. I ordered the new cable from g4zip on Friday so it should be here soon. Instead of trying to find a new driver I'll just wait. I have it working (again somewhat) with CAT Commander and that will we good enough until the new one arrives.
Thanks my friend,
73 de Dan AB4TI
AB4TI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 06:46:08 AM »

Got the new cable in yesterday with the FDTI chipset and now it will not connect to the radio at all. I've tried every setting that I can think of and still nothing. Anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks,
Dan AB4TI
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »

Got the new cable in yesterday with the FDTI chipset and now it will not connect to the radio at all. I've tried every setting that I can think of and still nothing. Anyone have any other ideas?

If you have Windows 7, you will need to load the FDTI drivers. My USB adapter required my drivers to be installed before you plugged in the cable. Once I plugged it in, it worked flawlessly. Those Prolific adapters were crap. They were late on WIndows 7 and not had drivers. I got the FDTI just about when Windows 7 was released, and always worked. I use HRD with FT-950.

The other thing it would be is the wrong serial port is selected. My like to alternate between 3 and 5.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 05:20:22 PM »

"My USB adapter required my drivers to be installed before you plugged in the cable"

Very important! Windows7 drivers seem to require installation BEFORE connecting the USB cable for the first time. XP was the opposite in most cases.
AB4TI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:00:02 AM »

Thanks guys. I'm at my wits end on this one. The only thing I can think of now is a bad adapter. I'm going to email G4ZLP to see if they have any suggestions. This isn't rocket science, I've been working on PC's for over 20 years now but this one has me beat. I've reinstalled the Prolific adapter and it's working, albeit slow.
Dan AB4TI
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »

Dan,

This is the one I got that works great with HRD and the FT-950. Also worked for the firmware update:

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cable_details.cfm?sku=USBG-232&cats=106&catid=420%2C482%2C1303%2C199%2C461%2C106%2C1009%2C601

It is only a 1 ft long adapter, so you need a female to female straight thru serial.
AB4TI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 07:01:53 AM »

Thanks Vince, I might try one of those.
I spent half a day yesterday emailing G4ZLP and it still doesn't work. I'm convinced that the adapter is working the way it's suppose to and the problem is on my end. Neil was very helpful and tried everything but no luck.
May try to rig up something home brew.
Thanks everyone,
Dan AB4TI
K7JBQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »

Dan,

Never overlook the obvious.

I also have an FT-900, and recently upgraded the computer, so I replaced the serial port cable with a USB one. When I plugged it in, it didn't work either. Tried everything for 2 days, and was about to send it back. Until I unplugged it and plugged it back in. And hey, it worked.

The connector to the jack on the FT-900 is extremely snug (and a PITA to connect, as you probably know). You can swear you have it plugged in all the way -- and be wrong.

If it is not COMPLETELY plugged in (even though you think it is), it will not work.

I know it sounds silly, but try it.

Bill
AB4TI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 08:35:43 AM »

Thanks Bill,
That connector is indeed a pain to get seated. I've tried everything and it still doesn't work. As much as I like HRD there are other programs out there that will serve just fine.
73 de Dan AB4TI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: