Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How can you say "Merry Christmas!"......  (Read 938 times)
W4QDX

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2005, 08:41:09 PM »

without an exclamation point?
I know there is no official exclamation point, but I was wondering what may be the unofficial/most commonly used expression for it. The Morse character map that came with WinMorse says it's dididahdahdit(..--.),but I have seen it expressed in other forms on certain websites(foreign sites, if I remember correctly).

Is there a "gentleman's agreement" type character that is used here in the states for the exclamation point? I don't hear one used on the frequencies where I operate(I'm still at the speed with the "name,qth,rst,wx,rig,ant,pwr, see ya later" bunch!) but I'm wondering if the character is used more commonly among the "big boys" (25wpm+).

I must say, it seems ridiculous that the "at" symbol has been officially adopted, but the common excamation point is still in exile. Go figure!

What do you folks say?

Rex   W4QDX
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 06:59:05 AM »

I never realized there was no exclamation point in Morse (I just now looked up the lesser used character list).

However, I think I can offer a reasonable speculation.  The other lesser used characters all convey information that would take longer to send if the character did not exist (e.g. $) or to allow the use of proper punctuation and grammar (e.g. the apostrophe, comma, parenthesis, etc) if the user prefers.  However the purpose of the exclamation point is to indicate a higher level of emotion than, say, normal conversation.  It is not intended to affect the meaning such as a question mark designating a query.  A period can be used instead of an exclamation point.  The meaning is the same although the emotional level is reduced.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 08:16:01 PM »

I send it as "Mri Xmas" or "Hpi Holidays."

"Best to u es urs fer the holiday ssn" seems to work also.

Never needed an exclamation point in code or in real life.

WB2WIK/6
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 09:10:27 AM »

Morse code IS real life!!  (TWO exclamation points.)

I just say "Mrry Xmas" and that seems to work.  Noone has yet construed that to mean "up yours" or "hope you lose your job, your wife cheats, and your kids are all drunks, and your dog bites you on the butt.  Or elsewhere."  

Being non-religious, I usually prefer "season's greatings" actually, or "happy holidays."  

I've never missed the exclamation point in Morse. And never had to use the "at" symbol either.  I still remember how to spell "AT" so don't need a symbol for it.  Not yet, anyway, not until I am more senile than I am now.  Seems to me "didah dah" works pretty well.  If I sent "email address is w5htw at att dot net" I would guess probably 8 or 10 percent of the hams would figure out what I was saying.  Some of the old dogs like myself might ask "why 'dot' and not 'period'?"  I hope their dogs bite them.

Ed
W4QDX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 02:26:26 PM »

Well, looks like nobody really has an answer. Of course, I know Merry Christmas means Merry Christmas with or without an exclamation point, but the exclamation point makes it more friendly and personal rather than dry and monotone. Naturally, we don't need an exclamation point in "real life" because the tone of voice implies exclamation, whereas in CW it's all monotone, whether 400 Hz or 900. And I'd like to use it at other times too, when it seems to fit. I just think the character would add more enjoyment to CW in the same way "hi-hi" does. Makes it more "personal" and "conversational".

Well, maybe I'll just start a trend (even if it's a trend of "one" hi-hi) and use the one suggested by WinMorse.

So, to all:

MERRY CHRISTMAS DIDIDAHDAHDIT   Smiley

W4QDX

(PS, we don't need no stinking "Happy Holidays")
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 03:05:12 AM »

Of course there is a Morse "!". Especially if you remember Victor Borga's routine about verbal punctuation marke. For ! he used a long pssssst sound followed by a short pop sound.

In Morse this would be a long dash followed by a dot.
Hard to do with a keyer, but easy with a hand key or a bug.

55!!! Jim W4YA
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 06:13:59 PM »

Sorry, he spells his name Borge, and the routine was Phonetic Punctuation.

Jim W4YA
WR8D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 05:09:47 AM »

I just go ahead and take my time and send it all Merry Christmas, simple as that. We've taken God out of most everything in this country and where he's left we're bitching about that now as we speak. I'll never use the x and leave Christs name out of it. Sooner or later we all will have to look him in the eye. I know some of you will hate to read this but, you deny him and he's already told us he will deny "you". Think about it! Whats Christmas all about anyway? Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, I even get a blessing for witnessing for him here. Thanks for the opportunity guys and gals. John WR8D
KA5ZCB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 05:59:47 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code  

found  -.-.-- for ExPt at above URL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: