Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ-462B CW/digital reader  (Read 1388 times)
KE6WNH

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2012, 07:41:31 PM »

I bought it used at the TRW swap meet, got it home, wired a mike element to a plug and tried to get it to work... I pushed the buttons and got it to go through the menus, but couldn't get it to display anything that looked like words or prosigns... mostly just long strings of T's and a few M's.

Then I looked online for some kind of instructions and found them... apparently the MFJ-462B is finicky about the pitch of the received CW audio signal it's supposed to lock onto. This time I'm going to do like the instructions say and try wiring the receiver's audio output directly to the reader and adjust the RIT to see if I can get it to lock...

BTW I have no idea why the guy who sold it to me installed a 100-ohm mini speaker inside the box...

Anyone else have experience with this unit?
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:06:16 PM »

Is it the factory speaker, or something added later?

The factory speaker is there to help you listen to the signals as you tune for them. GL and have fun!
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:11:04 AM »

Well, I DID finally get it to work (I watched 2 hams having a QSO on 80m), but the MFJ *IS* very finicky, even though both the hams were horrible spellers...

BTW the previous owner had very sloppily bored a cluster of random holes in the top of the box with a 1/4" bit and stuck the speaker onto one of the chips with a piece of carpet tape... I clamped the lid onto my machine and cut a proper circle with a hole saw, then inserted a piece of brass screen and a piece of felt between the speaker and the lid with a pair of screws to get rid of that jury-rigged look... some of these guys may be stellar on the air, but I'd never let them near any of my metalworking equipment! :-D
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »

The machine code reader is handy to have, but IMO is not a substitute for knowing CW because they often cannot differentiate between noise and the CW being received.  A fast pulse of noise is often going to be displayed as an E or an I if it is two fast pulses.   Things like that are unavoidable. 

These machines can be very useful during CW contests for the ham who already knows how to copy the code, though, saving time on the occasional callsign and things like that, especially when the mental facilities start to fade due to fatigue, etc. 

And they can be fun, as well, even when the communication is just a ragchew...

Enjoy,

K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 02:51:22 PM »

Hello, I have an MFJ-461 code reader, and yes it is very finicky. I found an easy way to set it up, is to use a computer set to one of the code practice sites. They have no noise and the pitch can be set up fairly accurately. I use the speaker output on my radio to couple the reader. It works best this way. Like someone said, you really need to know the code. This device comes in very handy because it can store received information for later verification. Mine is the pocket unit that I can use with the internal microphone to read CW, but it does not work well, but is still handy in a pinch.

73s

K2OWK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: