Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power cord connection for Realistic HTX-100 10m mobile rig  (Read 3513 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2012, 04:58:09 AM »

I've acquired one of these rigs without the power cord.  I have not been able to buy the 3-pin power cord/connector here in Thailand, so will have to 'hard-wire' a power cord directly to the pins.

There are 3 pins for the 12 volt supply, (why 3 pins??).  Although one pin is shown as + and the other two as - (as written on the casing above the connector, I want to be sure that I connect my power lead correctly.  (A continuity check between the pins gives no connectivity between any of the pins - is that normal or should a protection diode be installed and perhaps gone OC?

Anyway, advise on the pin-outs would get me started

Thanks

Simon
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 07:40:37 AM »

The schematic at http://www.georgiacapital.net/ke4sls/htx100/ shows that the center pin is not connected. There would probably not be any continuity unless the switch is turned on, but there should be continuity frp, (-) to (+) because of the reverse-polarity protection diode. GL
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:55:06 AM »

I believe that the power cord is still available from Radio Shack, if you have any access to one or on line.

...bill  nr4c
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:56:36 AM »

I have not been able to buy the 3-pin power cord/connector here in Thailand

Which is surprising, as it's the same power cord used by many CB radios. If you have a local CB shop or any place that sells CB accessories it could be worth a visit. The third pin is like an index key so the plug can't go in the wrong way and the connector body also has a beveled corner. The remaining two pins are often labeled + and - on the rear apron, take a close look to see if the metal is stamped with the polarity.

If you end up building a cable, don't forget the 3 amp fast blow fuse on the positive side.....

Never change a password on a Friday                
WD8T

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:08:11 AM »

The HTX-100 uses the same power plug and configuration as cobra CB radios.  You can get them just about anywhere.  Plug and play.
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »

The HTX-100 uses the same power plug and configuration as cobra CB radios.  You can get them just about anywhere.  Plug and play.

That would be the case in NA or EU, but I'm in Thailand, so no Radio Shack and no CB radios... My local 'hobby' shop had many components, but not that connector.  I'll hard-wire and see how I get on.  Thanks for all the advice

Simon
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 06:47:18 PM »

If you end up building a cable, don't forget the 3 amp fast blow fuse on the positive side

Maybe 7A? I had the HR-2510 before I had a ham rig, and that was putting out slightly under 25W on SSB (I think AM was rated at 10W). I do not recall a 3A fuse. Nice rig for 10M it had an actual VFO instead of channel selector.
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 04:33:57 AM »

After hard-wiring a power cord and borrowing the mike from my Kenwood rig, I'm happy to say that the rig fired up just fine, and all controls/operation seems to be correct.

I'm going to install this rig into my car for mobile QSOs.  I already have a 20 meter band SSB rig which gives great QSOs, but which I can only operate when parked, (the Hustler roof-mounted antenna is a little tall for the palm trees in this area!). But I should be able to operate mobile on 10 meters with a Hustler antenna and top-hat capacitor

Simon
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 05:41:32 AM »

Simon,
A 8"6" whip antenna also works pretty good for 10 meters. No loading coils ect. I used a hustler set up for 20 and 40 meters mobile. 54 inch fold over mast. It worked pretty good, I made a few contacts,from Virginia to Israel was my long haul probably 80 watts in.  The longer antennas seem to do better.
Enjoy.

Tom Kb3hg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: