Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX Drama...  (Read 1055 times)
K3NRX

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »

Last night, I found an old tape cassette.  Wondering what was on it, I popped it into the cassette player and much to my surprise, I found it contained a recording of ham radio transmissions I made of the uprising in Lithuania in 1991 when the old Soviet Union was beginning to crumble.  The information came from LY1WW, and another ham on the scene of what was a major uprising in Vilnius where 400,000 people were storming the parlaiment, and at the same time, Soviet paratroopers were decending on the city to quell the uprising.  The transmissions were being received by hams who were somehow affiliated with the U.S. State department.  The drama unfolds with the hams in LY telling the U.S. operators that the Soviet paratroopers opened fire on the crowd at one point, as they were huddled singing and chanting.....I vaguely remember recording this and feeding the transmission to KDKA radio at the time for them to use in their newscast....Pretty chilling stuff....

What say you?  What ham radio/DX drama have you monitored or were a part of as a transmitting operator?  The Grenada Invasion?....The Earthquakes in Mexico, California, Japan, New Zealand, Chile, Haiti, etc???.....The Hurricanes in the Caribbean???....Shipwrecks???.......or even way way back (I.E. the USSR invasions of Hungary or Czech?).......I'd be curious to hear your stories.....

V
KA3NRX

ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »

Last night, I found an old tape cassette.  Wondering what was on it, I popped it into the cassette player and much to my surprise, I found it contained a recording of ham radio transmissions I made of the uprising in Lithuania in 1991 when the old Soviet Union was beginning to crumble.  The information came from LY1WW, and another ham on the scene of what was a major uprising in Vilnius where 400,000 people were storming the parlaiment, and at the same time, Soviet paratroopers were decending on the city to quell the uprising.  The transmissions were being received by hams who were somehow affiliated with the U.S. State department.  The drama unfolds with the hams in LY telling the U.S. operators that the Soviet paratroopers opened fire on the crowd at one point, as they were huddled singing and chanting.....I vaguely remember recording this and feeding the transmission to KDKA radio at the time for them to use in their newscast....Pretty chilling stuff....

What say you?  What ham radio/DX drama have you monitored or were a part of as a transmitting operator?  The Grenada Invasion?....The Earthquakes in Mexico, California, Japan, New Zealand, Chile, Haiti, etc???.....The Hurricanes in the Caribbean???....Shipwrecks???.......or even way way back (I.E. the USSR invasions of Hungary or Czech?).......I'd be curious to hear your stories.....

V
KA3NRX

I heard some hams chatting about how things were on the air back during the Cuban revolution when Castro came into power!
ES1TU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:35:16 AM »

Last night, I found an old tape cassette...the uprising in Lithuania in 1991 when the old Soviet Union was beginning to crumble

Vince, I had a priviledge to eyewitness the collapse of the USSR from inside. We formed a 370mi long human chain from ES->YL->LY to get outside attention.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_Way

It taught me that miracles do happen and even the strongest empires will crumble eventually.
I thank God and Ronald Reagan that I only had to spent 18years of my life in USSR, before if collapsed.
Today Estonian troops are serving with nato allies in Afghanistan and NATO fighters are guarding Baltic skies to make sure Russia stayes within its borders.

Last October I visited Minuteman Missile National Historic Site in South Dakota. You know, it's very interesting experience to stand NEXT to a nuclear missile which was targeting your QTH during the cold war Wink
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2438879180810

As Forrest Gump's mom said - life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you gonna get.
No matter where this grazy world is heading to - I really hope I don't have to change the prefix of my callsign again. Ever Wink

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:54:16 AM by ES1TU » Logged
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:30:52 AM »

Last night, I found an old tape cassette...the uprising in Lithuania in 1991 when the old Soviet Union was beginning to crumble

Vince, I had a priviledge to eyewitness the collapse of the USSR from inside. We formed a 370mi long human chain from ES->YL->LY to get outside attention.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_Way

It taught me that miracles do happen and even the strongest empires will crumble eventually.
I thank God and Ronald Reagan that I only had to spent 18years of my life in USSR, before if collapsed.
Today Estonian troops are serving with nato allies in Afghanistan and NATO fighters are guarding Baltic skies to make sure Russia stayes within its borders.

Last October I visited Minuteman Missile National Historic Site in South Dakota. You know, it's very interesting experience to stand NEXT to a nuclear missile which was targeting your QTH during the cold war Wink
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2438879180810

As Forrest Gump's mom said - life is like a box of chocolate, you never now what you gonna get.
No matter where this grazy world is heading to - I really hope I don't have to change the prefix of my callsign again. Ever Wink

Aadu:

A tremendous story....Brings tears to my eyes.....I only wish there were a way I could put the audio from this cassette up on here to share with everyone, as I am technically inept regarding that.....History being made on ham radio.....and here's also hoping that you won't have to change your prefix ever again....

V
KA3NRX

W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »

You should reach out to folks in NPR/The History Channel/The Smithsonian - I imagine someone would be willing - and eager - to save this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: