Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Screen modulation Heathkit AT-1  (Read 9527 times)
K9MOV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »

Tom,
I recently moved to a new qth and had to throw out 50 years of junk box parts. Now that I am settled in new qth I want to get started on restoring some of the old rigs I have. (globe scout 65--heath dx-20--halicrafters s-53a--Johnson NAVIGATOR).
I need info on the best  place to get the parts( ris. kits--high voltage caps( .1--.01--.22--etc) and some high voltage electrolytics).
I have looked at some of the suppliers (Dan's small parts--All electronics--etc and don't seem to find what I'm looking for.
Thanks for any help which you could provide.
Lane--K9MOV(1957)
k9mov@aol.com
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 03:40:06 AM »

I offer no advice on buying parts.  But the Johnson Viking Navigator is potentially worth more
than all the rest of the rigs named PUT TOGETHER!!!    These are rare rigs and I would be
very careful with its restoration.   

Since you don't give any idea of what parts you are looking for, it may be that many parts
that were common in the 1950's - 1970's just aren't made anymore and the only source will
be other hams junk boxes.

Allen
K7MDO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 12:48:34 PM »

For a supplier that seems to have most of what I need I use "Just Radios" in Canada... the shipping takes about a week but otherwise I couldn't be happier with their service and parts.

73, Tom
K9MOV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 11:23:32 PM »

Thanks, Tom-- I'm just looking to replace the paper caps in the rx and globe scout, dx-20. My Navigator is working ok, but I can see it needs new filter caps.
I,m on the air most nights( 80 or 40 cw) with the navigator and Drake 2-b. I'm also, after 45 years, learning how to use a straigt key again(J-38)  HI
Thanks for the tip.
Lane--k9mov
K7MDO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »

Well I finally have made a QSO on 3885 AM just this evening with the AT-1 and my just restored NC-183d.

5by9 with 4  watts into a quarter wave inverted L.

Works fine.

Maybe should mention the contact only lives about 1 mile away!

73 Tom
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »

MDO:  My first rig was the AT-1 and made many contacts with it.  The first contact with it will live in my memory until I die.  That contact damn near killed me! 

I was in Bavaria with the military and just got my ticket.  My first contact was with an SM station who answered my CQ.  I was very nervous, sweating like a pig.  When I went back to the SM my fingers slipped off the J-38 key knob and came in contact with the key arm.  I was grounded against something with my left arm and the resultant cathode current went through me like lightning.  My right hand felt like someone had smashed it with a hammer.

Needless to say the contact went to hell pretty quick after that. The SM probably thought he had made contact with someone who was drunk.  Anyhow, he politely 73 and left the frequency.

Long story to tell you, be aware of the cathode keying of the AT-1.  It'll bitecha!
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 04:50:04 AM »

Heising modulation:

http://www.w8ji.com/Heising%20modulation.htm

It can be made pretty good.
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 11:22:50 AM »

My first experience  with Heising was an early Heath  11M HT that I put on 10M back in the '60's.
If you have never heard Jean Shepherd's WOR segment on Heising modulation- you'll love it.
Go to  http://jeanshepherdpodcast.blogspot.com/

and scroll down to:

WOR - 1965_01_29_Ham_Radio

Guaranteed to bring back early novice/general memories.

Enjoy,

Dale W4OP
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: