Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: if this a scam if so beware?  (Read 2577 times)
MDNITERDER

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:26:26 AM »

I surf the Craigslist from time to time, as I prep for my license I look at radios to buy for a deal,

This guy has had this radio posted for about 2 or 3 months, He asks for check and the item to be shipped. Lists his area as Los Angeles then says he resides in northern California. I can't imagine if this is a deal why would it take so long to sell why lie where you are from and not allow local pickup.

I have clicked spam on the Craigslist but he continues to have it up.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ele/2873885516.html
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:00:38 PM »

If you feel the least bit suspicious - go with your initial, gut reaction. Pass it by.

Especially craigslist.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:53:01 PM »

I've seen that radio advertised on the SF Bay Area Craigslist off and on for I think over a year now. I recognize it because the guy uses the same pictures. IMHO, It's not that great a deal unless it's mint, has additional filters, and the epoxy that causes the dot failure has been removed.

I shop Craigslist fairly often. I've done quite well if I can do the transaction in person. Often I'll buy some equipment at their asking price and then they'll offer additional stuff at a deep discount or for free, mainly because the seller is trying to clean out a garage and many potential buyers never show up.

Anyway, since this ad has been up for eons, either the seller is flakey, difficult, or a scammer. I'd ignore it.

Ray KJ6AMF
MDNITERDER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 09:29:38 PM »

His email says his call sign is ab6do, Just odd up north but listed on Los Angeles.
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:40:40 AM »

May be that he moved and has not updated his address w/ the FCC yet.  I think $500 is to much for a 440 even if it has the tuner and ssb or cw filters (or both) in it.  With the problems that radio has (dots in display and others) he is asking to much. IMHO
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 02:24:16 PM »

If it really is AB6DO he's not in L.A. nor in northern CA, he's near Fresno, which frankly is about midway between L.A. and San Jose but obviously much farther east.

I could see why he'd list in the L.A. Craigslist, it probably has a lot more readers than the Fresno edition -- if there even is a Fresno edition.

Why not call him on the telephone and have a chat?
MDNITERDER

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 09:13:42 AM »

Unless he invited me to call i wont. I also wont send a check to someone I do not know personally, Its a nice radio I have to admit but i can not risk it. Your explanation does make sense on the listing location but he could specify that in the post or his email when I asked about picking it up.
KD8Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 06:14:01 PM »

The Craigslist scam I have seen is where they are selling a John Deere tractor for around half of the fair price, then they say the tractor is to be shipped for this same 1/2 price or shipping included.  Of course you can reject the delivery if you don't like it once it arrives, the seller will pay for the return shipping.  This deal includes a few attachments like a mower, auger, bucket, ETC.  The payment is to be made through some non-existent Ebay process that supposedly will guarantee both parties a fair deal.  But Ebay has no such process and the money goes directly into the scammer's account probably in North Africa.  You would never see your money again.  I believe they want you to use Pay Pal for the actual payment method as well.  I have seen these ads in many other classified websites, advertising many different items, but usually they aren't required to have a title like tractors, farm equipment, or trailers.
Scams are easy to avoid, if it looks to good, run as far and as fast as possible.
MDNITERDER

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 12:10:46 AM »

Funny this guy is now asking 600$ and still posted,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: