Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mountain Top Repeaters  (Read 9245 times)
K7TBY

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:44:54 PM »

Here in Northern Nevada the majority of our repeaters are on mountain tops. We have to deal with the forestry department and BLM to get leases in order to put our shacks on these mountains. Does anyone have any experience dealing with these agencies when it comes to acquiring small (200 square feet) parcels of land from the government?
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:28:36 AM »

You need a senator, a congressman, and a miracle.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »

Here in Northern Nevada the majority of our repeaters are on mountain tops. We have to deal with the forestry department and BLM to get leases in order to put our shacks on these mountains. Does anyone have any experience dealing with these agencies when it comes to acquiring small (200 square feet) parcels of land from the government?

Acquiring?

Normally on all the good "radio mountaintops," if permission was available, commercial entities will already have towers installed and equipment operating, so "we" just rent some space from them. Wink
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 06:55:33 PM »

You need a senator, a congressman, and a miracle.
    And occasionally some cash.  Smiley
K7TBY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 09:23:34 PM »

The existing mountain top locations are generally owned by radio and TV stations and they want BIG money and BIG insurance that my little club can afford. I finally got my emails answered by the BLM and Forestry Service. The process has been streamlined since 2004. A land use survey was done and set protocols for both government agencies were established along with set fees determined by the population that the frequency will cover.

K7TBY
W5LVB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:52:13 PM »

The existing mountain top locations are generally owned by radio and TV stations and they want BIG money and BIG insurance that my little club can afford. I finally got my emails answered by the BLM and Forestry Service. The process has been streamlined since 2004. A land use survey was done and set protocols for both government agencies were established along with set fees determined by the population that the frequency will cover.

K7TBY

Our local group has a long standing relationship with the USFS and several private entities that have mountain top sites. Use to be, the USFS required us to file for a 'use permit' as an individual entity (Amateur Radio had its own fee structure - much reduced from the commercial rates). Now, if your equipment is operating out of another entities site, AMATEUR RADIO is not required to file for its own permit (at least on on local USFS sites). This is especially true if you're not paying the other entity for that use (if money does change hands, it changes the definition of the private entity to a 'commercial - for profit' site and their fee to the USFS goes WAY UP!!).
We occupy building / tower space on a private utility's site and for that, we do site maint / cleanup. This keeps the utility from having to send someone to the site regularly and make sure it meets USFS regulations when the yearly site inspection is done. We DO have to provide FREQ and EQUIP information and contact numbers (on site) and meet all of the 'technical' guidelines for grounding and proper installation practices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: