Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, I hope the rest of the weekend contest is a little better.  (Read 2665 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2012, 05:46:12 AM »

Spent most of the first hours of the Intl. DX Contest listening to some remarkably clear transmissions.  Then when I would hit the key, I may as well have been sending 500 watts into a ground.

Come on Sun Spots!!!!!

Not looking for any sympathy or answers per se, just lamenting, and of course, no one can hear me.

Sam
W9KDX
AD1DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:16:17 AM »

Conditions were certainly better up here in New England.
10 m was open to S.America  more than 2 hours after sunset.
15 and 20 were open first to the Carribean and S.America and then to the S.Pacific.
40 was excellent to Europe and Southward.There were a lot of workable signals on 80 -although not as strong as those on 40.
Let's see what Saturday and Sunday bring!

73 Ceasar
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:08:13 AM »

Thanks for the shoulder to cry on.  Today is a little better here in the Midwest, but stations come in clearly and disappear fast.  Got to move or lose. 

Sam
W9KDX
N7VEA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:59:37 AM »

I heard a lot of successfull Q's from 0-landers this weekend.  Didn't hear any EU stations though... my little vertical and 100W from the middle of the high desert in Idaho just weren't up to it in those conditions (although I did make a PY very happy with the ID hihi).

Is it too much to hope and pray for the same great conditions we had last March for this year's WPX?
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:56:06 PM »

I heard a lot of successfull Q's from 0-landers this weekend.  Didn't hear any EU stations though... my little vertical and 100W from the middle of the high desert in Idaho just weren't up to it in those conditions (although I did make a PY very happy with the ID hihi).

Is it too much to hope and pray for the same great conditions we had last March for this year's WPX?

I had similar experience from Portland. The farthest east I could get was Aruba and Sao Paolo Brazil. North/South was fine with Chile and Alaska and, towards the end of the contest, the west was very open and I logged Japan and New Zealand among others.

But, I did not hear any Europeans.

Not bad given mediocre band conditions, 100w, an IC 7600 and a 6BTV

Best
Don KF7QZB
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:11:35 AM »

On 10 meters we only logged about 80 US/VE stations, most of them on Sunday. 15 meter was good and 20 Meter was OK, just slightly more Q's then on 15 meter.
Propagation on 40 was good but overhere in Europe it was very crowded and at times nearly impossible to keep a good run frequency.
80 Meters was OK but again, very crowded. Furthermore we could also use some gain towards NA on that band.
On 160 we only worked a handfull US/VE's, we could only hear the big guns. In addition our 1/4 wave vertical was out of order so we only had a very low dipole and slooper.

All in All we logged a little over 3000 Q's which wasn't really what we had hoped for. Despite the marginal amount of Q's in the log, we still had a great time.

I have mentioned it before and I will say it again, it is so easy to maintain a high QSO rate when running US/VE stations. A bit of discipline obviously goes a long way. For operators in other parts of the world (to be diplomatic Wink ) it seems a little to much to comprehend.

73, Maarten PD2R (@ PI4DX)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: