Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IAMBIC KEYING  (Read 421 times)
KN8J

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »

I want to send code in excess of 40 wpm.  Any advice on learning the proper way to learn sending code this fast?
KA5ZCB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 09:28:46 AM »

http://www.k7qo.net/sending.pdf  

good luck.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 11:08:31 PM »

One day I was walking down the street in New York City. A man comes up to me with a violin case in his hand and asks, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

To which I repsponded, "Practice!"
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 07:50:23 PM »

Presumably you are already sending - and copying - code at speeds above 35 wpm.  If so, a wee dab more practice.  If not, better tackle that first.

Ed
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 06:07:29 AM »

Off the air practice will do it for you.  You don't say what speed you can send right now, but the advice is still the same.  Don't forget good rhythm and spacing.  The faster you go, the more important this becomes.  Practice and time, my friend.  You also have to work to find the most perfect settings for you paddle FOR YOU.  About a year ago, I was able to send 60 wpm for 30 minutes of practice with my Kent single lever using the keyer in my Orion, and I don't know how much faster I could go than that. It was kind of a lark as 40-45 is about as fast as I can copy right now.  The good thing about practicing at these speeds is when you get on the air and have a regular 25-30 wpm ragchew.  You send effortlessly and accurately.  Practice, practice, practice.  
KN8J

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 07:28:26 AM »

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELPFUL COMMENTS!

NOW LET ME GIVE YOU THE SCOOP...

I AM COPYING NOW BETWEEN 25 TO 30 WPM WITH AMBITIONS OF GOING MUCH HIGHER.  THIS QUESTION ABOUT FASTER SENDING CAME TO MIND WHEN I WAS OPERATING IN A CONTEST.

MY KENWOOD TS570 WAS SET TO 40 WPM.  OBVIOUSLY, IT IS NO DIFFICULTY SEND  MY CALL AND REPORT AT WITH THIS SMALL OF AN EXCHANGE.  HOWEVER, I WAS CONCERNED THAT MY TECHNIQUE WAS IMPROPER AND I WANTED TO LEARN THE CORRECT WAY TO USE IAMBIC KEYING AT HIGHER SPEEDS.  SINCE THIS FORUM, I FOUND A GOOD ARTICLE ON THE MORSE EXPRESS WEBSITE ENTITLED "THE MYTH OF IAMBIC KEYING".
AFTER READING THIS I HAVE DECIDED THAT WHAT I AM DOING WORKS BEST RATHER THAN THE "SQUEEZE" TECHNIQE DESCRIBED BY THE K7QO ARTICLE.  INDEED, PRACTICE IS THE KEY TO ANY OF THIS, WITH RESPECT TO EVERYONE'S COMMENTS.  THANKS AGAIN TO ALL AND PLEASE CONTINUE THIS DISCUSSION WITH ANY OBSERVATIONS ABOUT FAST CW, COPYING AND SENDING.  LET'S PUSH OURSELVES TO OPERATE IN THE UPPER LEVELS OF THIS IMPORTANT AND EFFICIENT MODE OF COMMUNICATION.  73  KN8J K
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 10:05:46 AM »

I don't know what "Iambic Keying" has to do with sending at a particular speed. I would suggest that your receiving speed should be 5 to 10 wpm above your sending speed. What is the point of sending at any speed, if you can't copy it? If you called CQ at 45 wpm, would you expect people to answer you at 25 wpm? For your goal of sending 40+ wpm, you are not quite there yet. In other words, work on your copy speed, and the sending speed will follow along nicely. I think that you will find that iambic keying will have nothing to do with it! You will also find that most high-speed ops will demand almost perfect sending at those speeds.

KN8J

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 10:41:33 AM »

THIS IS A VERY GOOD POINT!  I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.  I AM ADAMANT ABOUT INCREASING MY COPYING ABILITY BEYOND 40 WPM.  MY CONCERN WAS THAT I WANTED TO DEVELOP A PROPER SENDING TECHNIQUE RIGHT ALONG WITH MY COPYING ABILITY. SINCE I FIRST POSTED THIS MESSAGE MY MIND HAS BEEN CHANGED ABOUT A FEW THINGS. I OPERATE IN CONTESTS AND I AM ABLE TO COPY CALLS AND REPORTS AS FAST AS THEY SEND THEM.  THIS IS QUITE DIFFERENT THAN CONVERSATIONAL CW THOUGH.  I REALIZE NOW THAT THERE ARE OTHER METHODS FOR SENDING GOOD CODE.  AT EXTREME SPEEDS A KEYBOARD SEEMS TO BE THE WAY TO GO.  I APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS.  I'LL TAKE ANY ADVICE THAT YOU HAVE TO OFFER -- I JUST MIGHT NOT USE IT THOUGH!  HI HI.........73 KN8J

KC9HVN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 11:44:41 AM »

Well, if you'd like to see how not to do it, and you are in the Chicago area, feel free to stop by the QTH.

73's
Mark
AB9LZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: