Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4.1-4.2 "..any structure installed permanently for Field Day."  (Read 2670 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2012, 10:58:19 AM »

I read that as "..must not use facilities installed for permanent station use, or use any structure installed permanently for Field Day use"

Am I correct? We would like to use a park cabin.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »

I read that as "..must not use facilities installed for permanent station use, or use any structure installed permanently for Field Day use"

Am I correct? We would like to use a park cabin.

The park cabin is OK. It is not set up specifically for FD.

The intent of the rule is to insure that FD stations which claim to be true "Field" stations (A, B) really are 100% "put up for Field Day".

The idea is to prevent things like the following from claiming to be "Field" stations :

- Ham uses permanent antenna but puts battery-powered station in a tent out in the yard.
- Ham uses permanent shack but strings up temporary antenna
- Club member has a suitable location that club uses for Field Day. Over time they put up permanent masts with halyard ropes, ground rods, and bury coax and power cables - all of which get used once a year. Eventually it gets to the point that "setting up for Field Day" consists of tying the antenna ends to the halyards and hauling up, plugging the rigs and generator into the coax and power cables, and hooking up the ground wires.

None of the above are against the rules unless you want to claim "Field" (class A or B) status.

73 de Jim, N2EY
WB9QVR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 12:29:17 PM »

The intent of that rule is that if one is operating as a portable station that it be from a location that is not normally a station location and that doesn't have permanently-installed antennae, towers, feedlines, etc..  In other words using a cabin is fine as long as there isn't normally a station installed there.  However, if you erected a permanent tower and antenna at that cabin just so it could be used for Field Day events then that location would no longer qualify as 'portable'.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »

Give you an idea of our club. We have 2 acres with a trailer and several stations and towers. We use none of those as they are existing structure. In fact, we do not even tie a leg of a dipole to the existing structure. The only thing we use the trailer for is bathrooms and cooking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: