Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 meter receiving?  (Read 1925 times)
BRIANBURNS

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2012, 02:35:08 PM »

Hello All,

I'm getting an HQ-150 refurbished, and am interested in extending its coverage to 6 meters. I would appreciate any suggestions for good receiving performance on 6 meters--used tube type converter? Kanga solid state kit? Other possibilities?

Thanks a bunch,

Brian Burns
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 04:53:49 PM »

Unless you feel you must have a tube convertor for a vintage radio(and one using nuvistors may be best) I would go with a modern solid state one. Handbooks used to have pretty simple plans for solid state ones using fets or mosfets. I do not know what is available out there these days as far as kits or premade, but a solid state one made with optimum modern design should surpass any tube type, I would think. Not that a really good tube type cannot achieve satisfactory results. Probably you might end up paying alot more for "vintage" tube ones regardless of the performance.  Ameco made some nice tube convertors that show up at hamfests, etc.  I guess ones with the 10 meter IF freq. would be good as long as the HQ has good tuning stability at that range. The conv. may be xtal controlled but your receiver is acting as the tunable IF, so any noticeable drift problems will be in that receiver VFO. Sometimes they have 20 meter IF's if that is more stable.    
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 04:55:38 PM by W8AAZ » Logged
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »

Back in 1962 I used a Parks Electronics 6-Meter converter with my Knight-Kit R-100 receiver.  It was similar in design to the Ameco converters of that day and did a very good job.  It uses a 6CW4 (amp) and a 6U8 (mixer).  If you can find a Parks Electronics converter at a ham fest, I'm sure it will fit your desire to keep the old receiver/converter combination "genuine".

Terry, WØFM
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 03:00:21 PM by W0FM » Logged
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »

I had a Nuvistor converter around the barn - perhaps an Ameco? I don't remember.
Don't know if I finally managed to give it away or not - there was another tube
converter as well.  Wonder where they went to...  we've been cleaning up out
there, but I think I know which box they might have been thrown into.

But the one that looked the best was the Radio Manufacturing Engineers VHF-152A
for 10/11m, 6m and 2m (converted to 6.950 MHz IF.)  Beautiful box (about a foot
square) with most of it taken up by a big tuning dial.

If you actually want good performance, then a solid-state converter might be a
better choice.  Hamtronics makes them, among other sources, and they aren't
difficult to build.  Even a SA612 chip may be adequate if you don't have a lot of
strong stations around.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 02:36:29 AM »

Noise levels on 6 are such that even a 6BZ6 will give all the sensitivity you can use - except perhaps if you are in the wilderness in the backside of beyond.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: