Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT 950  (Read 1975 times)
N4MJG

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2012, 11:32:06 AM »

Guys!

I need input on this rig of FT 950 yeasu I'm thinking of purchase of 950!
What are pro and con on this rig?

Jackie
N4MJG
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 04:21:51 AM »

Jackie, I just got a 950 a couple of weeks ago.  I'm no expert by any means, but so far, I love the thing.   The ability to hear weak signals through noise and strong nearby signals is head and shoulders above the rig I was using before.  I still haven't read the manual's section on using the DSP, but the interface is clear and logical, with a graphic display of what you're doing with the DSP controls, so I haven't needed to read the manual--it's just that simple.  The receiver seems fantastic. 

Again, I'm no expert, and I'm comparing the 950 against my former rig, which is an entire generation older than the 950, and cheaper as well.  But so far I *really* like the 950.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:23:09 AM »

Guys!

I need input on this rig of FT 950 yeasu I'm thinking of purchase of 950!
What are pro and con on this rig?

Jackie
N4MJG

144 reviews of it here...http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6923

W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 10:45:17 AM »

The answer to this question depends a lot on how your going to use the radio. If ham radio is your only hobby and you're going to spend many  hours a day on the air, then you will probably get more enjoyment out of a higher-end radio. But since your even considering the '950, I'm going to assume that price is a factor, and in that context I feel that it is probably the best rig out there FOR THE MONEY. Although it is menu driven, it is not that difficult to learn and BECAUSE it is menu driven, it will allow you to set it up to your personal liking. Many, if not most, of the menus are "set-it-and-forget it" and therefore you will only need to memorize a handfull of settings. The transmit audio is excellent and is cleaner than some radios costing much more.The ergonomics are quite good and it is an attractive radio to look at. Now, if you like CW, the full break-in is very noisy but semi break-in works well.The receive audio chain is a little noisy (hiss), on the low bands this is not a concern since the band noise is high but it might be noticable on 10m.There is no provision for a separate receive antenna but you can add an external circuit feeding into the u-tune jack.To me, these are minor issues and no radio is perfect for everyone.I have had my '950 for 4 years,and have been very happy with it. I have been licensed for 41 years and consider myself a "serious casual" operator, I usually listen a couple of hours a day in the winter and a couple of hours total in the summer.I enjoy ragchewing, DX and and a little contesting,and this rig will do it all.So if this sounds like your operating style, then this rig is for you.Spend the money you save on a good antenna system and you will be much farther ahead.
                                                       73, Greg
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »

>There is no provision for a separate receive antenna but you can add an external circuit feeding into the u-tune jack.

I would like to know more about this, I have never heard of that.  So what you are talking about is a way to have the 950 receive on a different antenna that it transmits on?   

I have heard of the uTune modules but was not aware there was a way to use those connections to connect another antenna.

Can you provides some links where I can get some more information?

Thanks,
Carlton
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »

I have had a 950 for almost a year and I would buy it again.  I recently upgraded to another Yeasu and the new rig has a lot going for it in many ways, but I knew going in that it would not be 5X the value.  I still have the 950 and I am not sure I want to sell.  I probably will, but not because it had any big issues.

Big enough to look right in the shack but small enough so you can lift it yourself.

The DSP is very difficult to use as it is not progressive and each setting does something different.

The Notch and Shift, did not do much for eliminating close signals.  At least I never could get them to work in a way I could see value.  

I REALLY like analog meters.  Missing with the 950 but for most people, a small detail.

In this price range, I never found anything even close.

Split works so easily, I wondered why I was so worried.

Uses a weird odd ball connector to attach to a linear, nearly $35 for a cable and then you have to solder your own connectors as well.  Fortunately, Ebay has a ham who will make them for you.

Internal tuner works just fine and is simple.  Very much worth it is you don't need an external amp.

Controls are well set up, they make sense right out of the box, and the knobs are large enough.  Other than always bumping the clarifier, they work well.

I like the DMU-2000.  Many don't.  The 950 works perfectly with this and if you ever upgrade, the 2000 and 5000 series will also work.

I had no reason to upgrade to a newer radio, other than I knew in 3-5 years, I would want to and I would not want to pay the price increases then when I could just make the move now, especially as I have seen some big increases from Yeasu, and HRO mentioned to me that they were being alerted to stock up be fore the next wave of increases.

If you're on the fence, move before the price increases.....or buy mine Wink Wink

Added:

It does have two different inputs so you can connect a separate antenna if you want one to receive and one to transmit.  The connection is not the issue, the 950 does not have two separate receiver that will allow you to listen to one station and transmit to another the way that the the higher level transceivers will.

I could be wrong here, but the illustrations of the uTune modules don't show an external antenna connection.  Also, they will cost almost half the cost of the 950.  Info here:

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=66EA91711DFB68C03DED4AD35153E12C&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:04:27 PM by KD0PLD » Logged

Sam
W9KDX
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »

The u-tune "in" jack connects directly to the receiver input when u-tune is selected from the front panel. However, if you're going to use this, you must make provisions to ground this jack during transmit to prevent possible receiver damage.A small fast-acting reed relay keyed through either the amplifier or tuner jack will accomplish this just fine.
                                                73, Greg               
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »

Guys !

Thank you for ya input on FT 950 !

I have made my mind up about 950 am going to buy sometime in April atfer  i get car ins. out of way ! I will take my time read the whole book.i have join yahoo group while back.

I know i will love this radio ! i have a friend of mine told me if i like to try out his i'm welcome to come up his place and play the rig and make contact on the air ! Smiley

Jackie
N4MJG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: