Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-817ND power connected backwards, not working.  (Read 5299 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 08:40:59 PM »

Before you s..tcan it get the schematic and bypass the trace(s) with wire.  Any damaged components, replace.  Won't cost you much except some time.  Done this before.....quite often successfully.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 10:34:46 AM »

Hi Bob,

I would just solder in jumper wires to replace the fried traces. Commonly done during consumer repair operations.

- Glenn DJ0IQ and W9IQ
KE5KDT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 10:51:30 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement.  I have done PCB repair with wire, generally when a PCB got flexed or busted and there were no other damages.  My concern with this one is that if I repair the trace and re-power the rig I might fry something else.   If I had no other alternatives, then I would do that since there wouldn't be much to lose.   I have contacted Cal Fisher at hamrepair.com and he has done plenty of work for me before so he is going to give it a go.   After doing some research on removing and replacing these small components and studying the repair manual diagrams, I think I bit off a bit more than I can chew with the SMD components.  Give me full size resistors any day.  Bob
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 11:01:01 AM »

Hi Bob,

I understand what you mean about the SMD components. My bifocals make the situation nearly unmanageable at times. I recently bought a microscope that connects to my computer - what a great tool for only 25 Euros! I can easily work on the board just by watching my PC screen. It yields the added benefit that I can quickly spot any solder balls or other gremlins before powering up the board. I use it now regularly for repairs as well as new project construction.

I wish you well with the project. Hopefully you can net another nice 817 for the effort. With the warm weather now in Germany, I am getting ready in an upcoming weekend to head out to a mountain peak with my 817, solar panel, and assorted gear to see who can work.

- Glenn DJ0IQ and W9IQ
KE5KDT

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »

I got the news on the attempted repair that it was not going to be economical to fix.  It is fixable, but not within the $175 limit I set.  The radio has regained receive capability but there is a problem in the PLL that causes the display to blink.  The finals are toasted and there is an open somewhere between the PA and the finals so the RF doesn't get there.  I will put it up for sale with an explanation of the issues.  My guess is it will live another day.   Thanks for all the suggestions.    Bob
KD8DEY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 10:58:38 PM »

Hope everything comes out ok.
I don't have a schematic handy.
a blinking display could be the reference oscillator knocked out causing a PLL unlock condition.
does it look like on the schematic that the oscillator could have been taken out when the power was reversed??
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:15:40 PM by KD8DEY » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: