Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My code journey  (Read 9045 times)
KK0G

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:40:08 AM »

Just a little tale to encourage those who have recently started the journey to learning code.

I've been a ham for 12 years now, the last four as an Extra. Twelve years ago I barely passed the 5wpm code test only because I had to to get my General ticket, I had zero interest in CW and didn't think I ever would. About two weeks ago I started re-learning code and now have over 30 CW QSO's in the log with several of them being long ragchews. I never thought I'd have this much fun with CW or that I'd progress this quickly, but in about two weeks I've gone from 5wpm up to 7-8wpm. The biggest thing that has helped me was once I knew all the characters from using code practice software, I started making real QSO's. Don't get me wrong, I don't always have perfect copy, I miss a character here and there but I copy enough to fill in the few blanks and it's a whole lot more interesting than listening to boring, dry computer generated code. The real thanks has to go to all the operators that have slowed way down for me and offered lots of encouragement along the way........... thanks guys.

It CAN be done, I'm proof of that so don't give up. 73 de KK0G
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:16:19 AM »

Hi

I feel happy because you are happy.

Now as a matter of fact I know about a guy that is planning to learn Morse Code and he thinks it is best , just as learning to talk for a preschooler, to do it in practice.

So he had the idea to transmit with max speed  1 wpm and to receive with  1 wpm wide spaced, such that he can look up the received character in a table from a book. I am not willingfull to help him with his plans. It is my hobby to copy with home build equipment 25 to 40 wpm, and not to replace learning programs and learning websites.

Are you willingfull to help him?

I am not, my idea is that he has to learn the code first to a level that is on the lower side of moderate speed, such as 12 wpm at least. Can be done at www.lcwo.net or programs such as JustLearnMorseCode.exe

2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:30:24 AM »

Thats a good story KK - I am just about trying my first QSOs after being on LCWO for a couple of weeks and before that a far simpler piece of software just to learn letters and numbers. At the moment its all in a panic and I am sure the other op will have to repeat, but some people are willing to do that and that is great. I had a great opportunity to learn with 2 months off work laid up and didn't exactly take it - now I'm going at it pretty consistantly. And I love to put out those letters and numbers with my Czech Army piece of Cold War history.....

all the best

Scotty

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:15 AM »

Welcome aboard Chris. CW will be a touchstone you can return to for the rest of your life. Log 500 ragchews and you'll soon be zooming along at 25-30 wpm guaranteed. 73 de Tom, AB9NZ
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »

Thats a good story KK - I am just about trying my first QSOs after being on LCWO for a couple of weeks and before that a far simpler piece of software just to learn letters and numbers.

Just get on the air, Scotty.  All you need is the callsign and your RST - everything else if you never picked it up it doesn't matter.  Name?  Just look it up on the callsign.  You will find that after 5 QSO's and your nerves are settled, you actually will catch all of that anyway - and now you are ahead of more than 50% of voice contacts.  Think of how many 59 73 contacts you might have had on voice, and you never worried about them, right?  Same with code.

By looking up the name you can verify how good (or not!) you are at receiving, and same with QTH.  Usually most slow speed qsos will be that, maybe wx and rig setup, but that is about it. 

Think people are hanging on every word when you make a contact on SSB?  What if the xyl comes in, or they are reading email or a webpage - you aren't decoding emergency traffic, so in the end if you think of it that way it will take the pressure off where you can actually just enjoy yourself.  Even great CW ops have to contend with distractions, QSB, QRM, QRN, etc.

Get on the air and you will speed up in no time.

K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:15:50 PM »

I am not, my idea is that he has to learn the code first to a level that is on the lower side of moderate speed, such as 12 wpm at least.

KK0G,

Don't listen to an old fart like PAOBLAH; it is ridiculous for him to mock you and your great inspirational story that is intended only to encourage new operators.

PAOBLAH, you should be ashamed of yourself! This is a CW forum, we are trying to encourage people to use CW. I suspect that one day, long long ago, you did not know Morse code AT ALL. And you learned it, and you used it. And you probably had slow speed QSOs and you got faster and faster and faster. Do you mean to tell us you had no QSOs until your 12 wpm limit? I didn't think so.

I would prefer ops to get on the air and use Morse at ANY speed. You don't have to work them if you don't want to; why would you try to discourage people from getting on the air and getting practice. It is not only weird but on a CW forum is pretty mean. Everyone knows your speed picks up with on-air QSOs, why would anyone discourage this?

paul
KK0G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 07:26:02 PM »

I am not, my idea is that he has to learn the code first to a level that is on the lower side of moderate speed, such as 12 wpm at least.

KK0G,

Don't listen to an old fart like PAOBLAH; it is ridiculous for him to mock you and your great inspirational story that is intended only to encourage new operators................

Trust me Paul, he didn't bother me in the least, I have pretty thick skin Grin
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 09:21:58 PM »

Trust me Paul, he didn't bother me in the least, I have pretty thick skin Grin

Yeah, but other people read this stuff too. The last thing we want is for aspiring CW ops to get the idea that old-timers don't want them getting on the air unless they are "already 12 wpm" (like the old General class license).

HEY NEWBIES, WE WANT YOU ON THE AIR ANY-OLD SPEED!!! Believe it or not, there was a time when even speed-demons were cranking along at 5 wpm or less; back when we got our  Novice license and all us old guys started out that way.

paul
KF7IPW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:24:59 PM »

I really appreciate the help you OMs give those of us learning.
Guys like K4LO, KX5G, K5VP, WT5RZ, KM4LT..... have all been so kind
And really helped me.

A huge TNX to all who lend a "slow" hand to us newbies.

Stan
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 09:16:09 AM »

When they removed the code requirement I thought the CW segments would shrink until nearly gone.  After all CW is legal everywhere on the ham bands (60M?).  But I seem to have been wrong.  Now that we are no longer "required" to operate CW it seems that folks are trying it.  Whodathunk?

73, JP, K8AG
KK0G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »

When they removed the code requirement I thought the CW segments would shrink until nearly gone.  After all CW is legal everywhere on the ham bands (60M?).  But I seem to have been wrong.  Now that we are no longer "required" to operate CW it seems that folks are trying it.  Whodathunk?

73, JP, K8AG

Maybe it's reverse psychology, I don't know. All I know is I'm having a blast on CW.
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »

KK0G,

Don't listen to an old fart like PAOBLAH; it is ridiculous for him to mock you and your great inspirational story that is intended only to encourage new operators.

PAOBLAH, you should be ashamed of yourself! This is a CW forum, we are trying to encourage people to use CW. I suspect that one day, long long ago, you did not know Morse code AT ALL. And you learned it, and you used it. And you probably had slow speed QSOs and you got faster and faster and faster. Do you mean to tell us you had no QSOs until your 12 wpm limit? I didn't think so.

I would prefer ops to get on the air and use Morse at ANY speed. You don't have to work them if you don't want to; why would you try to discourage people from getting on the air and getting practice. It is not only weird but on a CW forum is pretty mean. Everyone knows your speed picks up with on-air QSOs, why would anyone discourage this?

paul

No, sri I am not ashamed of myself different reasons

1. This is a forum, that means everybody can  publish their ideas on the topic.
Just in an AMERICAN forum, it is a shame if an american is going to tell me that my opinion is not what he thinks inewcomers may be exposed to, so that I have to be ashamed.

2. My writing is selective copied, such that the meaning is different. That is a shame

The purpose of my message was:
Hey 5 wpm guy, when you expect that every ham is going to QRS because you think that is ham spirit they have to deliver because you are too lazy to learn 12 wpm before going on the air; are you willing with your 5 wpm to guide a "ham" that has no knowledge at all, and wants to start in practice with a table look up paper, at less then 1 wpm?

(That is the same differencefactor 1 to 5 from 5 to 25 wpm)

My starting with CW has nothing to do with that. We had to perform 12 wpm 5 minutes. Exercising with news bulletin of a coastal stn 20 wpm. Not solid copy but 15 wpm solid, and that was necessary in order to succeed with nervous condition at the formal test of 12 wpm. So I did. No computers, no LCWO, just a radio.

So time has changed, and hence stimulating my feelings about the rediculous 5 wpm

Oh I work sometimes a ham with 5 wpm. I couple some macro's start the transmission, go downstairs , take a cup of coffee, and when back the message is just completed, and the 5 wpm ham got his idea of my perfect machine code 5 wpm transmission,

Sorry Bob, Please QRS, but a special QRS  . the characters 5 wpm and the character spaces 2 wpm, is that possible bk,

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:08:08 PM by PA0BLAH » Logged
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 12:35:06 PM »

Hey 5 wpm guy, when you expect that every ham is going to QRS because you think that is ham spirit they have to deliver because you are too lazy to learn 12 wpm before going on the air

I do take offense at "too lazy to learn 12wpm before going on the air".  Lazy has nothing to do with it - and there is no reason why someone has to be at 12wpm - why, because you say so?  If people feel fine at 5wpm and want to get on the air, that is their choice and laziness has nothing to do with it.  Best way to build speed IS to be on the air, at any speed.  If they are calling CQ and another station answers, that answering station should have good manners to QRS to the CQers speed - vice versa is a different story - that expectation is unrealistic.

People don't stay at 5wpm for long if they are on the air for a bit - and that is just the way it is.  Novices got on at 5wpm for a long time... there is no reason for someone to not play if they know the letters.
KK0G

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 12:41:55 PM »

KK0G,

paul

No, sri I am not ashamed of myself different reasons

1. This is a forum, that means everybody can  publish their ideas on the topic.
Just in an AMERICAN forum, it is a shame if an american is going to tell me that my opinion is not what he thinks inewcomers may be exposed to, so that I have to be ashamed.

2. My writing is selective copied, such that the meaning is different. That is a shame

The purpose of my message was:
Hey 5 wpm guy, when you expect that every ham is going to QRS because you think that is ham spirit they have to deliver because you are too lazy to learn 12 wpm before going on the air; are you willing with your 5 wpm to guide a "ham" that has no knowledge at all, and wants to start in practice with a table look up paper, at less then 1 wpm?

(That is the same differencefactor 1 to 5 from 5 to 25 wpm)

My starting with CW has nothing to do with that. We had to perform 12 wpm 5 minutes. Exercising with news bulletin of a coastal stn 20 wpm. Not solid copy but 15 wpm solid, and that was necessary in order to succeed with nervous condition at the formal test of 12 wpm. So I did. No computers, no LCWO, just a radio.

So time has changed, and hence stimulating my feelings about the rediculous 5 wpm

Oh I work sometimes a ham with 5 wpm. I couple some macro's start the transmission, go downstairs , take a cup of coffee, and when back the message is just completed, and the 5 wpm ham got his idea of my perfect machine code 5 wpm transmission,

Sorry Bob, Please QRS, but a special QRS  . the characters 5 wpm and the character spaces 2 wpm, is that possible bk,

You mean sort of like someone who has a limited grasp of the English language posting on an American forum? Should we discourage you from posting here until you have a firmer grasp on English? Or should we welcome you here out of ham spirit instead?
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »

I didn't realize this was an American forum. I though the internet was a world-wide thing.

paul
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: