Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile XCVR Remote Mounting  (Read 1303 times)
KE0Q

Ignore
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »

I'm planning of putting an FT-8800R in a Chevrolet Cruze.  I would like to remotely mount the xcvr either under the drivers seat or in the trunk.  I will be living in Minnesota which is cold in the winter and hot in the summer.  I'd like to mount the xcvr in the trunk.  Is this advisable? What about coax length? I'll be using a permanent NMO mount located on the trunk lid.
Thanks for the help!  73s, Tim -- DU9/KE0Q
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:14:22 AM »

I had an Icom IC-207H mounted in the trunk of my Chevy Impala, and never had a problem with heat or cold. It was mounted under the parcel shelf which put it up and out of the way.  I could still drop the rear seats without it getting in the way.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »

I do not understand your problem ...

>> ... FT-8800R ... remotely mount the xcvr in the trunk ...What about coax length? ...

You have simplified your installation by mounting the body in the trunk with a trunk-lip mount or other trunk antenna. What "coax length" problem comes to mind?

The "weak link" in this setup is the control head cabling. I would use nothing less than genuine 3M / Scotch Super 88 electrical tape and wrap the control cable's entire run through the car. Some call that overkill - I call it protection from not only your sub-zero temperatures, but also from any accidental abuse it may receive (no pun intended).

Same wrapping of the power cabling, too. PLUS the use of quality loom in the engine compartment. But from the firewall to  the radio, I'd wrap it up, too.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
KE0Q

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 05:29:12 AM »

Clint, what you said makes sense. Thanks for the recommendations!  I appreciate the input!

73s,
Tim - DU9/KE0Q
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: