Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 706mk2g versus Icom 7000  (Read 2641 times)
K4IDK

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:14:42 PM »

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this specifically, but I have a 706mk2g in my Jeep and I'm about to put a radio in my new Expedition.  I'd like to keep the radios the same, so I can either pick up a used 706mk2g for the Expedition or sell the one that I have and buy a couple of 7000s, one for each vehicle.

So the question is, what is the difference between these 2 radios?  I'm assuming that the 7000 has some stuff the 706mk2g doesn't, or Icom wouldn't have made the switch, but if someone could give me a brief, or not so brief run down on the differences I'd greatly appreciate it. 

One last thing, these are the only radios that I'm interested in, so while some may feel that there are better choices out there, please don't throw them into the mix.

Thanks,
Robert
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »

I have both the 706 MKIIG and the 7000. As far as features, there is no comparison between the two. The 7000 is loaded with features that are extras on the 706.
It has a better Noise Blanker, DSP, and display, just to name a few. And the 7000 is smaller too. But, it runs hotter. Which is really not a problem. The entire chassis is a heatsink. It also has a lot more menu options too. It has the ability to use an external
video display. (standard VGA) I use a 7" Coby portable TV (LCD) with mine , that has
a video input on it. Makes the 7000's already nice display better. BUT, do not go larger
than 7" or the text gets blocky in a hurry. Very low resolution.
  On the other hand, I love my 706MKIIG and I use it much more than the 7000. It lives
in my 97 Dodge 2500 pickup. I can do almost anything I want to with it, and without even
glancing at the display. (the 7000 will even announce the current frequency for you too)
  The 7000 is not that hard to use, I am just used to using the 706MKIIG.
You really cannot go wrong with either radio. But, one thing to note, the 706 series is no longer in production, so, eventually replacement parts will get tough to find.
james
WD5GWY
K4IDK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:12:22 PM »

Thanks for the quick response.  I was aware that the 706mk2g was no longer in production though.  I like the radio overall, but I've never had my hands on a 7000.  Kind of like a native on a primitive island; if he's never used a TV he can't really miss it.  I'm just a bit OCD and have this thing about keeping all of my radios the same.  Might explain why I own so many Yaesu FT-8800s!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: