Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K3 or ICOM 7600 ?? Help  (Read 7930 times)
AB9TX

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:16:35 PM »

Ok, buying a new base station rig, just sold my last rig and have narrowed down my choice between the Icom 7600 and the K3.

Both have features I want. I dont care about portability. I love the k3' specs, IF out capability and the diversity receive. I like Icom's spectacular build quality, spectrum display, and rtty/ psk ability.
The K3 looks like a toy in comparison, but looks like a fun little radio.

I cant decide so I will field all input from qualified users.

")

Thanks,

Earl
AB9TX

KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »

I've had a chance to use the K3 during Field Day, and I'd have absolutely no qualms about its build quality.

As far as the spectrum display, you can either use Elecraft's own external panadapter, or one of the adapters to use an LCD monitor as one.

I'm not sure how much of a "spread" the 7600's dual-watch feature has, but the K3 can be set up with dual independent receivers.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 07:07:46 AM »

The ICOM 7600 receiver is not in the same league as the K3. The 2 kHz Blocking Gain Compression numbers (from QST) are:

K3                140 dB
ICOM 7600    102 dB

Of course whether this matters to you depends on the type of operating you do. If you contest on 160 meters it certainly will matter. If you want a panadapter you can add the Elecraft P3.
AB9TX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 08:15:55 AM »

K5JZ

RE: Best transceiver/receiver in market today 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 01:49:06 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: N6DZR on February 27, 2012, 12:04:34 PMI've been happy with my Icom 7600. For me it had the best combination of price / performance / features. The highlights for me are: good receiver, dual-watch capability, built-in band scope, nice color display with large numbers, and CAT control + audio for digital modes with one USB cable.

You can get better performance in each of those areas on more expensive radios, but for me there was a much larger cost for only a small or moderate improvement.

-Jeff

I agree... IMHO it is the best bang for the bucks.

George K5JZ

K3 or IC7600?? 
AB9TX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 05:09:38 PM »

Made the tuff decision, purchased the radio today....   Smiley

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 09:27:50 AM »

.....and................ Which one did you decide on?

BTW, I own a K3/P3 combo.  An amazing, do-anything you want to do radio.
AB9TX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:05:56 AM »

Thomas- glad you asked... I went with the Elecraft K3-100F stuffed with INRAD filters.

")

Earl
AB9TX

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 02:14:24 PM »

You won't be sorry, Earl!

Mine's got everything except the crystal oven.  I'm hoping to see and add the video output option for the P3 at Dayton this year.  I'd like to add perhaps a 32" flatscreen on the wall in front of the operating position.  The beauty of the radio is that you can add stuff as you go along. With the second receiver you can monitor 2 frequencies at once or even do diversity receive.  Assembly is fun and took me about 9 hours to build it with the amp, 2nd receiver, and the internal 2m module.  Have fun, and enjoy!  If you have any Q's during the build process, fire away.
AB9TX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 05:35:21 PM »

Thanks... The K3 Is a no-nonsense looking rig. Im looking forward to improving my CW skills.

I heard the P4 will be a dual channel panadapter...  Just dreaming....  :p

W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 12:11:17 PM »

WHY buy a radio that you must buy MORE parts for just to get the same features?The extra pieces also take up desk space.I don't get the ide why other companies can NOT make a COMPLETE RADIO in "ONE BOX" WITHOUT having too also by "Pan Adapters" or an EXTERNAL "DMU" unit? ICOM has the right idea & the right radio in my opinion hands down.They did it RIGHT the FIRST time & did NOT do it as an AFTER THOUGHT as it appears they did on the Yaesu & K3 rigs!  Huh

Clayton
W4KVW
AB9TX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »

Clayton, you buy what accessories you want. But you can start with a barebones kit, and expand when you can afford it.

After a few days with the new K3, all I can say is -wow.  Smiley
 I am a happy camper.

Earl,

AB9TX

KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 05:32:07 PM »

WHY buy a radio that you must buy MORE parts for just to get the same features?The extra pieces also take up desk space.I don't get the ide why other companies can NOT make a COMPLETE RADIO in "ONE BOX" WITHOUT having too also by "Pan Adapters" or an EXTERNAL "DMU" unit? ICOM has the right idea & the right radio in my opinion hands down.They did it RIGHT the FIRST time & did NOT do it as an AFTER THOUGHT as it appears they did on the Yaesu & K3 rigs!  Huh

Clayton
W4KVW

With an IF out, you aren't limited to just the manufacturer's panadapter. I've never been that much of a fan of company-specific modules, either - AOR was into the panadapter market years ago, and now they're very expensive and hard to find.

Meanwhile, the cost of LCD monitors just keeps coming down.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 12:21:13 PM »

Spectrum displays like the Icom has look real neat but that's about it.
I have sat in front of an IC-756 Pro 3 for HOURS in contests on 80 meters and I probably never looked at the spectrum display after the first 10 minutes.
It never had any effect on what I found, or could hear to work.
Spectrum displays and panadapters are overrated as a useful feature in my opinion.
We are however visual creatures so it does have a lot of visual appeal to help sales.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »

Buy AMERICAN. You can't beat the K3. My little K2's receiver runs rings around just about anything out there, and the K3 is better than the K2. The Elecraft also has an unbeatable dependability record. Get a K3 and the pan adapter, and you will never look back.
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 03:21:35 PM »

Spectrum displays like the Icom has look real neat but that's about it.
I have sat in front of an IC-756 Pro 3 for HOURS in contests on 80 meters and I probably never looked at the spectrum display after the first 10 minutes.
It never had any effect on what I found, or could hear to work.
Spectrum displays and panadapters are overrated as a useful feature in my opinion.
We are however visual creatures so it does have a lot of visual appeal to help sales.

That is because not many people have thought about how to write software that lets one use panadapters efficiently in a contest. There is a ton of data in a panadapter display, but it needs some organization to be visually useful.

For example, if you tag signals you have already worked with a different color, your eyes can instantly spot new signals, much faster than you can find them by tuning around. This has completely changed the way I operate contests. Take a look at

http://code.google.com/p/so2sdr/

Tor
N4OGW

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: