Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Revisit an old topic  (Read 1360 times)
W2DI

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:13:57 PM »

Okay, this has been kicked around since the dawn of solid state rigs.

Simply put I have a manual tuner working with a noise bridge gadget that can give me a 1:1 SWR, or very close, in a matter of a minute or so, without transmitting a milliwatt.

I also have an auto tuner that can give me a 1.5:1 or less SWR in a few seconds.

For those who know components and their behavior, might the usage of the radio, over time (FT450) running about 85 W), stress the finals or other components as they are seeing a slightly higher SWR?

Thanks much!!!

joe - w2di
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 02:23:11 PM »

Hello Joe, The FT-450AT ( I have had mine a few years now) will not be damaged by running a slightly high VSWR. It has an internal protection circuit that will turn down transmitt power to 0 if the SWR gets to high. A 1 to 1 VSWR is really not possable in the real world. A low VSWR is good to try to obtain, but a VSWR of as high as 2 to 1 will not hurt your transmitter. It just will not be as efficient. Just for information the internal tuner used in the 450AT will tune a a 3 to 1 VSWR to match the transmitters final. Have fun operating and do not worry to much about damaging your transmitters final circuit.

Hope this helps.

K2OWK
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 03:36:24 PM »

SWR below 2:1 will not damage the solid state outputs. 

Above that figure, the modern rigs are designed to fold back the power and thus protect the finals. 

You don't have a problem here.  You can run all day at 1.5:1  -- and it won't detract from what the other guy hears either, not enough to worry about. 

W2DI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:07:50 AM »

Barry and Clark;
Thanks for your replies. I was hoping a little imperfection regarding the SWR is tolerable. The outboard auto tuner really works well and I am enjoying using it. Plus it is a bit easier than the manual one I have.
I think when some of us buy something we like, we want it to last forever and try to pamper it to the point of absurdity! Like you say, the key is to have fun.
Thanks again.

joe -- w2di
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 01:47:55 PM »

Why are you running 85 and not 100 watts?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: