Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 4115 POWER SUPPLY IS NOISEY CRAP! SHOULD BE RECALLED! NOISEY JUNK  (Read 12091 times)
DARTICUS

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:18:04 PM »

Really bad choice! Fan gets very loud within weeks! Had trouble returning to HRO for a new quite one and they said this is how they are. They were right! After 20 mins they exchanged mine for another and it also went noisy in a couple weeks. MFJ will repair the new unit if you pay to ship it to them and send an additional $7.00 for return postage. This is a terrible defective problem that the company should recall! The supply starts going up in price fast sending it to places. I like my stuff to work as expected. This is junk and I don't know yet how I can fix the problem. Either the bushings are bad or the fans are all defective. Any fix help would be great. Can't keep paying money to keep this sounding quite by sending back. Maybe some WD40 EVERYDAY WILL WORK! Maybe the 4115 should come with WD40. Email me if you have a fix. ron222@embarqmail.com  Thanks Ron 

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »

WD40 can do a lot of good things, but one of the things it cannot do is act as a lubricant for motor bearings. 

If indeed the squirt of WD40 serves to quiet the fan motor, but the noise returns when the lubricating qualities of the stuff dries out again, which it does in very short order, then you can likely quiet that fan for quite a long time with a needle oiler containing any good quality machine oil. 

N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »

Get an Astron.
DARTICUS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 04:03:10 PM »

Will try oil lube. Thanks Ron
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:57:36 AM »

Maybe an after market fan from say Digikey or Mouser would be better..
They are rated in CFM and DBA so choose one with low Db (ambient) numbers.
You don't have to suck a Hurricane through the supply--as long as the air moves freely, and of course a noisy fan is also very annoying!..

Choose one with the right voltage , and dimensions of course!.. You are probably using a 110v mains supply-another solution is to install a 220v fan and all noise issues are a thing of the past.
DC fans tend to be quite noisy.
I use this on most of my supplies.

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:23:50 AM »

Or you could simply contact MFJ, explain your problem and let them send you a new fan.  It's possible they ran into a bad batch and are aware of the problem.  Give them a chance to correct this. 

While I agree that one should expect something new to operate as advertised, occasionally, in the real world, this doesn't happen. 

Changing out the fan is no big deal.  Even if it is a big deal it beats the hell outta packing it up and spending bucks to ship it back!
DARTICUS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:29:57 AM »

Fine to wait for MFJ but when I called 2 months ago they would only fix it if sent back and return postage to me again included. I sent them a link to this Tread and hopingly they will respect our problems with the product and offer free help as you say. The noise the fan makes is loud enough to hear in the next room 20 feet away and it sounds like the fan is hitting or dry bearing squeal. A friend ham came over and said "what the heck is that noise" when turned on, than a minute later it stopped. Would really like MFJ to help as I'm through with their products until something is done. Ron
MDNITERDER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 11:02:04 AM »

If you got the money try this one

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-7655

It looks like it uses one of those small 35 or 40mm fans. Could be just turning some High RPMS but if its a vibration sound then its cheap bearings or a bad batch of fans.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »

Complaining about a $60 Chinese-made power supply...?

Wink
DARTICUS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 11:23:01 AM »

WHAT??? Shouldn't it work correctly?
I Really think it should work as stated. I guess I could go your way and just except is sounding noisey. They won't take it back! DON'T THINK SO! FORGEDABOUT IT!

Complaining about a $60 Chinese-made power supply...?

Wink
MDNITERDER

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »

What kind of noise, does it sound like a high rpm fan noise or a vibration, if its a high rpm noise, sadly yes you will have to accept it. a small fan to move enough air has to spin up at a higher rpm vs a larger fan that can move the same air "CFM" at a lower speed.
DARTICUS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 02:30:12 PM »

This is really sad when companies can make products that don't work properly and some people will still defend them (HRO). We should be trying to get these companies to do the right things. I have seen it all including our country going down the tubes and people thinking its great. WOW THIS IS NUTS!
I guess the thing to do is for me to try and fix it of put on another fan. Hope the company replies to me before I have to alter the fan. I guess for 60 bucks it a throw away. Thanks Ron
MDNITERDER

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »

I notice you ignore my question, Is it a high RPM sound or vibration sound you are getting, Those smaller fans need to spin a lot faster to move air, if this is the sound you are talking about yes, YOU do have to live with it to move the CFM to keep that little package cool.
DARTICUS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »

Its a high pitch winding sound. Sounds like it rubbing than it goes away after a minute of running. Either the fan blade rubs and than gets airborne and stops rubbing or something in the bushing rubs and than stops rubbing. Will eventually dissect and fix. Thanks Ron

Quote from: MDNITERDER link=topic=81514.msg 581557#msg 581557 date=1331249744
I notice you ignore my question, Is it a high RPM sound or vibration sound you are getting, Those smaller fans need to spin a lot faster to move air, if this is the sound you are talking about yes, YOU do have to live with it to move the CFM to keep that little package cool.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »

You mean you have not applied a good oil to the bearings with a needle oiler yet? 

'K

Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: