Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ 4115 POWER SUPPLY IS NOISEY CRAP! SHOULD BE RECALLED! NOISEY JUNK  (Read 9407 times)
MDNITERDER

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 11:48:22 PM »

You just answered it all, HRO said that's the way the 4115 Sounds. It is a shame they wont allow you to return it as an unsatisfied customer of that item though, Tough break on that part
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2012, 03:56:09 AM »

A friend of mine has the same unit and doesn't have any problem with it at all. His is about a year old. I guess some are good and some are bad. About the same for everything in life.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 06:23:17 AM »

The MFJ 4115 is perhaps the dinkiest tiniest 12V 17A power supply on the market - which means that it has to force a lot of air through a tiny space. And even worse it has to use a tiny fan to move that air which means high RPM.

On top of dinkiest and tiniest, add cheapest. Price pressure pretty much guarantees that the cheapest parts are going to be substandard with respect to tolerances and bearing quality.

If (and by no means is this obvious) the problem is the fan bearings and the problem happened in the first few weeks... adding even the correct oil will be at best a temporary fix.

But I suspect the problem is poor tolerance in the fan manufacturing. And that all fans from that batch will have similar problems.

Swapping out factory fans for something quieter, with better bearings and better manufacturing, has a long tradition in ham radio. We've been doing it for at least half a century with blowers in amps. You can send the PS back to MFJ a million times and they're going to put the same el-cheapo no-name crap fan in it every time. Or you can get a quality fan (e.g. Comair/Rotron, EBM-Pabst etc.) with better specs, truly hi-tech bearings, and a lot less noise, and put it in yourself. One warning is, that the price of a quality fan may very well be a substantial fraction or comparable to the price you paid for the power supply in the first place.

Next time, if you want a quiet power supply, you're going to have to buy a dimensionally bigger power supply. Forced air cooling by tiny fans is never going to be particularly quiet.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:26:31 AM by N3QE » Logged
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 10:08:10 AM »

This PS is made in Starkville, MS, not China.

Frank
K4FMH

Complaining about a $60 Chinese-made power supply...?

Wink
DARTICUS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 10:41:20 AM »

Thanks for the backup. No matter what the price it should work as described American or China
 made. Ron

Quote from: K4FMH link=topic=81514.msg 584020#msg 584020 date=1332176890
This PS is made in Starkville, MS, not China.

Frank
K4FMH

Quote from: WB2WIK link=topic=81514.msg 581488#msg 581488 date=1331234111
Complaining about a $60 Chinese-made power supply...?

Wink
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 05:35:04 PM »

Don't get me wrong, WD-40 is GREAT STUFF.  I swear by it for it's intended purpose.

WD40 is nothing but kerosene and a bit of oil of wintergreen to make it smell nice.  Great for penetrating and for quick lubing to stop squeaks, but lousy for being a good, long lasting lubricant.  As someone said, light sewing machine oil is much better as a longer lasting lube.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 07:47:48 AM »

I have stopped noise and brought back to life many small motors, including fan motors, with a small drop of 3 in One oil on both sides of the motor shaft where it sticks out and then running the motor to move the oil around on the shaft. It works and the easy repair may outlast you. Sorry to hear that you received a defective item from MFJ, but I don't remember any other complaints like that from other hams concerning that particular power supply.  Sad  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:16:51 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
DARTICUS

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 10:40:36 AM »

There were at least 10 problems about the fan noise on the internet. Ron

I have stopped noise and brought back to life many small motors, including fan motors, with a small drop of 3 in One oil on both sides of the motor shaft where it sticks out and then running the motor to move the oil around on the shaft. It works and the easy repair may outlast you. Sorry to hear that you received a defective item from MFJ, but I don't remember any other complaints like that from other hams concerning that particular power supply.  Sad  
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »

It's not just your power supply. I'm sorry to say but ALL MFJ products suffer from this extremely poor quality control issues. I had a portable antenna that broke and left parts inside the connector in my radio while I was in Europe, (a known issue). An MFJ-259 that quit after only 6 months, an MFJ 3KW tuner that cooked when I only put 600 watts to it, I have even had some items with screws loose and bouncing around inside the case right out of the box, and not to mention the countless cold solder joints…I can go on and on. I have made it a goal to NEVER support this company again and let folks know how horrible their support is. I tout an MFJ free shack at this point and everything is working quite well. It's ashamed, their ideas are great, their production and QA is probably the worst I have ever seen. The sad part is the Mr Jue doesn't seem to care. He has to know how upset people are with the quality of his products. I've been a ham for 25+ years and back then it was known that their products are crap. Oh! also stay away from Ameritron, Mirage, Vectronics, Cushcraft & Hygain. Look at their address, it's the same address as MFJ in Starkville, MS, or now Mississippi State, MS. They were all bought out and ruined by MFJ.  Unfortunately the only satisfaction you'll get is to vent in this forum because MFJ will not give you any satisfaction.

Jaime-KA3NXN
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 06:23:53 PM by KA3NXN » Logged
KD2AKG

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2012, 08:06:19 PM »

BURN IT!
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2012, 09:51:47 AM »

Rule NO 1. Don't buy MFJ.
Rule NO 2. Don't buy Yaesu
Rule NO 3. Trying to return something to one of the chain ham dealers? Dream on.

1) haha
2) PAHAHAHAHA
3) okay that one I agree with

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2012, 02:46:10 PM »

Rule NO 3. Trying to return something to one of
the chain ham dealers? Dream on.

Hmmmm. You must have had very bad luck.

Returns have never been a problem for me, from inexpensive doo-dads to new HF transceivers. If you follow the store guidelines, which are quite clear and easy to understand, they are very cooperative. HRO, JUNS, AES,
have all been very, very good to me.
(Apologies to Garrett Morris :>)

Ken  AD6KA
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:58:51 PM by AD6KA » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012, 05:11:14 PM »

In all these years, I've never had a problem with the very rare need to return an item either. 

But then I don't initiate the communication with name calling, superlatives, exclamation points and all that other detrimental drama...

"Come and let us reason together."  Good book taught me that, and it has proven to be yet another good thing to aspire to doing. 

WD8FM

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 09:25:31 AM »

Or you could simply contact MFJ, explain your problem and let them send you a new fan.  It's possible they ran into a bad batch and are aware of the problem.  Give them a chance to correct this. 

While I agree that one should expect something new to operate as advertised, occasionally, in the real world, this doesn't happen. 

Changing out the fan is no big deal.  Even if it is a big deal it beats the hell outta packing it up and spending bucks to ship it back!

I don't think this is an occasional problem with MFJ products. My Friend an I bought 2 new Al-811H amps from ameritron, which is owned by MFJ and both of our fans went noisy within 3 months. Well I repaced my fan with an better quality fan from Orion Cooling which is working great and I saved shipping charges for a very heavy Amp. I took the defective fan apart and found the the Inside Diameter of the fan blade was machined out of round and was not cleaned up all the way around the I.D. This problem after short usage, caused vibration and noise.  I would also recommend that you buy a different fan and replace it your self.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 02:57:44 PM »

KE3WD,

Amen! Name-calling like some hams appear to do in these threads never gets very far in corporate America. Way too much of that frame that you talk about.

The fan issue in the 811H amplifiers does sound like a bad batch...they order them from an OEM and get them in on a batch demand basis. My 811...granted, a different model...has a fan that has kept on keeping on.

Thanks for adding a reply with common-sense reasoning!

Frank
In all these years, I've never had a problem with the very rare need to return an item either. 

But then I don't initiate the communication with name calling, superlatives, exclamation points and all that other detrimental drama...

"Come and let us reason together."  Good book taught me that, and it has proven to be yet another good thing to aspire to doing. 

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: