Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What paddle?  (Read 395 times)
KE7EOZ

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:09:43 AM »

I am learnig the code and would like to know what paddel should I get, I have a icom 746 I think it does have keyer already , but I dont know what paddle to get.
KC9HVN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 07:07:39 AM »

Since I only have four paddles to date, I'm probabaly not the most qualified to answer... but... my advice is to get the most expensive paddle you can afford. (and no, the chrome and gold doesn't make 'em "better")
I've had good luck with e-bay, the last aquisition was a massive and solid "Jones" key that I'll probably use for the reset of my life. Makes my Bencher look like the cheap piece of crap that it is.

Mark /AB9LZ
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 08:35:48 AM »

For starters, you should purchase a dual-lever (iambic) paddle.  Single lever paddles were helpful for OT's like myself who transitioned to electronic keyers from the semi-automatic "bugs," but the dual-lever paddles allow you to take advantage of the timing features of modern electronic keyers.  

There are a lot to choose from, and I'd start by checking the reviews here on eHam.  I certainly would not recommend getting a very expensive paddle to start out with.  

Although the previous poster belittled the Bencher paddle, many people are sending good code with them.  The Bencher is so popular, it has become a sort of standard. I tried a friend's Bencher for a few days, and found it to be top-notch-- hard to beat for the price. The only reason I didn't purchase it was I remain satisfied with the old beat-up Brown brothers paddle I purchased for $39.00 several years ago.

73 & good luck with your code practice!

Chuck  NI0C

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 02:02:55 PM »

I actually *like* the Bencher paddles (evidently, not everyone does)!

I have three of them, ranging in age from about 12 years to 20 years.  I have three so I can keep one attached to each rig I use on CW, so I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging.

They work well if you have a light "touch" on the paddles, which I do.  I barely move my fingers to use the paddles, applying extremely light force.  For those who are "heavier handed," I understand Benchers can be annoying because if you knock them around a lot they'll go out of adjustment.

If you have the opportunity, try some out before you buy any.

WB2WIK/6
N6PEH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:28:03 PM »

Kent TP-1
$145.00
Solid as a rock.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: