Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of CW  (Read 7436 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 03:11:19 PM »

Being that this is the CW forum I think we can show bias toward CW.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:21:06 AM by WX7G » Logged
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »

I agree. I had my first CW contact a few days ago and it was as exciting as my first ever ham radio contact.

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 08:22:06 PM »

Hi,

I really enjoyed using CW many years ago. It was like an international language, you could talk to people in almost every country.

It is not a language, it is an alfabeth, and when you think you can communicate with every ham on earth it is because your subject of conversation is limited to qth name rst pwr, wx qsl es cul
You`re not limited on what you can discuss on cw. You can talk about radios,bands,antennas,whatever you want. I tell people what my fav bands are,what dx I`ve worked. The same stuff you discuss on phone.
AJ4WC

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 08:08:22 AM »

It will be the final irony if, as seems to be happening, the end of code testing becomes the beginning of an era of increased code use.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Actually, you might be on to something there.   I'm a no code Extra that got in when they lifted the code requirement.  I got interested in code one weekend when the bands were 'dead'.  I dropped down to the CW bands and they were alive with a contest.  That's when I realized I was missing out.  I've been studying off and on for a couple months and will be on the air in a few weeks looking for my first CW QSO.  I have almost all 50 states in phone and digital and I've decided to go for the Tripple Play award. 
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »

Hi,

I really enjoyed using CW many years ago. It was like an international language, you could talk to people in almost every country.

It is not a language, it is an alfabeth, and when you think you can communicate with every ham on earth it is because your subject of conversation is limited to qth name rst pwr, wx qsl es cul
You`re not limited on what you can discuss on cw. You can talk about radios,bands,antennas,whatever you want. I tell people what my fav bands are,what dx I`ve worked. The same stuff you discuss on phone.

Do not agree. He said CW is like an international language. It is not, unless you limit your converstation to call qth opr wx pwr ant qsl es cul.

That is the converstation you are limted to in CW, when the other guy speaks only his local language, not being english,  and you only your language english.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 01:16:37 PM »

Interesting - technically, CW is probably an alphabet, in the same way that ABCDE...0123456 is an alphabet, but then most languages have as their basis symbols which are then used to construct larger structures conveying complex meanings.
The concept of an international language is that an agreed language is learned by users of diverse languages, thus giving common ground for communication.
English is obviously todays international language, as it is learned by most European countries in addition to their native language.
Also, international air pilots need english to communicate with airports worldwide.

However, when you think a bit more deeply, CW fits quite nicely into the definition of an international language, at least to a certain extent.
Since many non-native english speakers have a limited vocabulary, and use pre-programmed english sentences in their conversations such as "how are you?, thank you etc", it is similar to the pre-programmed phrases in CW.
CW has the Q-code, which gives a very wide range of possible questions and answers, as it was effectively intended to address this need.

I think that people who are not avid CW operators would underestimate the possibilities of CW communication, and those who use it frequently for DX, would have little doubt that it is very capable of a good QSO, even with non-english speakers.
Other words have also crept into CW which are not "official" abbreviations, such as "nice, family, luck etc.
In the same way that many europeans use english words mixed with their native languages, CW has also acquired quite a few english words which are now part of everyday communication.

As always - "those who know don't speak, and those who speak don't know".

73s
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:18:13 PM by STAYVERTICAL » Logged
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »

73s

Spoke Stayvertical, hi.

That Q code and the like is limited to 7 or so  general known codes, qrm qrn qrx qsl qrs qrp qro qsk. The Phillips code is greatly unknown, except 88 and 73 (explicit not 73s).  Do you know what 30 means? I do but can't use it because the majority of (CW) hams don't know.

Most amateurs don't, so you can't use the Phillips code more extensively.

So when you want to tell in CW that you are  going to the church with your bike how do you do that in the in this topic acclaimed international "language" CW ?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:53:15 PM by PA0BLAH » Logged
W2RI

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 04:06:08 PM »

So when you want to tell in CW that you are  going to the church with your bike how do you do that in the in this topic acclaimed international "language" CW ?
QRD + & oo
HA7AP

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2012, 08:54:28 AM »

73s

Spoke Stayvertical, hi.

That Q code and the like is limited to 7 or so  general known codes, qrm qrn qrx qsl qrs qrp qro qsk. The Phillips code is greatly unknown, except 88 and 73 (explicit not 73s).  Do you know what 30 means? I do but can't use it because the majority of (CW) hams don't know.

Most amateurs don't, so you can't use the Phillips code more extensively.

Actually I completely agree with Stayvertical.
If I want to tell some one that I going to church on my bike: I tell him: I going to church on my bike!!! in cw is that simple.
The other day, I had a conversation with SP9DBA for 2 hours at 50 wpm. That speed is like a normal verbal conversation in some southern state. :-) We've been talking about all sorts of things, just you would with a friend of yours in person.
Don't tell me, that CW is limited to name qth pwr ant etc, because that is not true at all.
I have long conversations every day in cw at any speed between 20 to 60 WPM, in either English or Hungarian language.
Dear PA0BLAH you would be surprised how many CW guys using open English all over the world, and not only some short hand signals and Q code.
I have QSO's daily with guys in the USA, Germany, UK ,Austria, Slovenia, Canada you name it, but most of the time I am using open English text in CW.
It is like a language! Why? because from a certain speed, every individual word have it's own sound, therefore you doesn't count for dit's and dah's, but you hear the sound of the word.
You hear a certain word for many times, you will recognise it as soon as you hear it.
It is like you hear TNX,QSO, CUL, 73, etc you recognise them right away. later you will recognise longer words like Fine,good,great. then will comes the longer words like hospitality, especially,construction,etc.
Same when a baby hears the word Mom, or Dad then other words, so this is how the baby build his/her vocabulary. same thing goes with cw.
Think about it!!! practice it!!! then give me an answer.

73 Imi HA7AP
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: